flyin' fool
Need more info please.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Need more info please.
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting drawings posted. I didn't anticipate how busy the last couple months would be at work with lots of travel and no workshop time. Hopefully things will settle down after the first of the year.

I have a flying buddy who is working on plans/drawings for the Quasar which I hope to post here shortly for those interested. West Michigan Parkflyers is also considering producing kits for those not interested in cutting out there own. I have had a tremendous amount of interest from local pilots wanting to build one as of a result of seeing it fly so things are moving forward quickly now. I also will be attending an indoor flying session next week and plan to post more video soon.

Thanks for your interest!

dawg
Dec 19, 2017, 11:18 AM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Sounds Great
Dec 19, 2017, 02:42 PM
flyin' fool
This waiting is killing me.
Dec 19, 2017, 02:53 PM
flyin' fool
RCD:

I love deltas (especially the 3D kind), Sunnysky motors, EPP and simple light n' fluffy designs.

If you can post a few specs, like the span, center and tip cord, the rest is easy from your pictures. Or, I could start off with Lead's platform and mod from there.

I'm too old to be waiting around until next year.

Anyways, got a big event on Jan.1st, our 44th New Years Day Grub and Grog fly-in, and need a new fun machine for it to show off.

Da' Ol' Guy Frank.
Dec 19, 2017, 04:57 PM
flyin' fool
Think I got it. Maybe? Printed out the pictures and using the 9" prop as a scale I get a span and root cord of 18".
Dec 19, 2017, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Think I got it. Maybe? Printed out the pictures and using the 9" prop as a scale I get a span and root cord of 18".
Close, but no cigar.

Span is 22", length is 22", tips are 8", trailing edge is swept forward 1", elevon chord is 3" at the root, the center section between the elevons is 3". I used a 1/16" by 2" diameter plywood disc for the firewall. Wing tips are 7-1/2" long by 3" wide.

My prototype is constructed using 8mm hotwire cut EPP which is slightly stiffer than normal EPP. I use 3mm carbon tubes for the three spars which are located 5-3/4", 11-3/4" and 18-1/4" behind the firewall. I also run a 3mm x 1mm carbon strip inlaid approximately 1/2" behind the leading edge provide additional stiffening. I also inlaid two 2-1/2" 3mm x 1mm carbon strips to stiffen the nose.

My flying buddy has the templates converted to a dxf format. If anyone knows how to convert it to a tiled format let me know. My buddy just quickly built one from DTFB. Looks nice.
Dec 19, 2017, 08:57 PM
RCD Post the dxf files! We will figure it all out! Trust us
Dec 19, 2017, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Forgot to mention the CG is 8-1/2” back from the firewall.
Dec 19, 2017, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
RCD Post the dxf files! We will figure it all out! Trust us
I’ve asked him to post them here on the thread.
Dec 19, 2017, 10:09 PM
Great
Dec 19, 2017, 11:43 PM
flyin' fool
Wow wee!!! Many thanks for the prompt reply and info. Got it all doodled out on graft paper. Twenty two.............. I like 22, better then my 18 or Leadfeather's 24. Gonna start mine right now. I've got both saw blade and hot wire sliced 8.5mm EPP, the right sized lipos and all the other bits.

Now for the hard part...................... building light.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 19, 2017 at 11:50 PM.
Dec 20, 2017, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Wow wee!!! Many thanks for the prompt reply and info. Got it all doodled out on graft paper. Twenty two.............. I like 22, better then my 18 or Leadfeather's 24. Gonna start mine right now. I've got both saw blade and hot wire sliced 8.5mm EPP, the right sized lipos and all the other bits.

Now for the hard part...................... building light.
No problem. I'm anxious to see how your's turns out and how it flies for you. I have been very happy with mine and how well it flies.

I plan to cut out another and I'm thinking of putting a USAF Thunderbirds scheme on it.
Dec 20, 2017, 01:38 PM
r/cdawg Can you share the measurements on the Vertical Fin, Rudder and Fuselage

Thanks
Bobby
Dec 20, 2017, 07:55 PM

quasar dxf files

I have not done this before, so I may be doing things wrong.

I drew up the quasar in a really old drawing program and saved it as a dxf. I'm hoping my program is not to old for you guys, but lets give it a try.

.........RC groups will not allow dxf files, so i zipped it and attached it. see if this works.

dale

Quick Reply