Quasar EPP 3D Delta - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2017, 04:27 PM
Discussion

Quasar EPP 3D Delta

Hi guys,

First time I've started a thread in the scratch built foamies forum but I have been a long time lurker. I've been scratch building foamies since 2009 with most being 3D profile planes from Depron and have also done a fair share of designing and building from EPP.

With the upcoming indoor season I was looking to build something different to fly besides the typical EPP profile planes and a few disc/saucer/Pi type planes I'd been flying. I glanced through a few threads on deltas and decided to try one of these. Seeing that I am a disciple of the KISS theory of building I decided that I wanted to stick with a tractor mounted motor and keep it kinda basic. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel but put my spin on the layout.

What I came up with I'm calling the Quasar because it has a bit of a spaceship look to it and what it does is fly surprisingly well. I have posted a couple videos below for you to judge for yourself but I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt. If anyone has any interest in building one I can post a few drawings and patterns otherwise if not you might still enjoy the videos as they pretty much sum up what foamie flying is for me. A beautiful evening on the beach watching a sunset never hurts either.

Quasar EPP Delta (2 min 51 sec)

Quasar EPP Delta Beach Combing (1 min 40 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2017, 04:46 PM
WOW . That delta is incredible!!! Nice piloting skills too!!!

Definatly be interested in building something like this. Might even get some proper foam for it (i have heavy stuff although im sure 50% of the weight is the paper)
Oct 09, 2017, 05:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks great, please post more details and building plans.
Oct 09, 2017, 05:31 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
SUPER nice flying plane !
Oct 09, 2017, 06:54 PM
TonyS
Very nice flying characteristics as well as high AoA performance.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:54 PM
Out the Window
Looks like Leadfeather's 3D Delta ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...VIDEO*-*PLANS* ). I have built a couple of them...great flyers. Yours does have wing tips. I would be interested in building one of yours.
Last edited by High Flyin'; Oct 09, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Oct 09, 2017, 10:00 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
Looks like the rudder works well.
Oct 10, 2017, 07:56 AM
HI guys,

Thank you for the compliments. Below I have attached a few more detailed pictures.

The set up that I am currently using is as follows:

Sunny Sky 2204-1480kv motor.
APC 9x3.7SF 3D prop (I have some APC 9x4.6SF 3D props on order to try).
Hobbywing 10a esc.
Hitec HS-40 servos for elevons and a Hitec HS-45 on rudder.
Spectrum AR6115e receiver.
Thunder Power 2s/325 55c batteries.

As you can see this is a very light set up as I plan to use the Quasar primarily to be an indoor flyer. I looked through numerous delta build threads previously posted in this forum and borrowed and tweaked what I had seen. Leadfeather's 3D delta was definitely some of the inspiration as were many others. One flight characteristics that delta's lack knife edge capability. I enjoy flying knife edge and the Quasar will definitely perform the maneuver. There is still a bit of roll coupling but is easily overcome by a little cross controlling. I do not use any mixes for knife edge but I'm sure one could be used to over come the coupling. I hope to get a little more video in a couple days when the weather improves to further demonstrate what the little Quasar can do.

The Quasar is built from 8mm EPP that I got from Greg at West Michigan Parkflyers. He is hot wiring the EPP which gives it a little bit stiffer and slightly rougher surface compared to standard EPP. I have three (3) 3mm carbon tubes for spares along with 3mm x 1mm carbon strips inset just behind the leading edge. This helps keep the leading edge stiffer. I do not use a KF airfoil as it is not needed.

I will post some basic drawings later tonight if possible.
Last edited by r/cdawg; Oct 10, 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Oct 11, 2017, 07:06 PM
Flying Models for 55 Years
r/cdawg Very impressive building and flying! Thanks for sharing
Plans, please
Oct 12, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
r/cdawg Very impressive building and flying! Thanks for sharing
Plans, please
Thanks Sixter. I was hoping to post some drawings this week yet but it's been a crazy busy week during the evenings and now I will be out of town this coming weekend. I'll gather everything together and try and get it posted early next week. You guys really need to build one. It's fun!
Oct 12, 2017, 03:37 PM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Sounds great