The FPV slope soaring thread - Page 5 - RC Groups
Nov 04, 2017, 09:53 AM
Piscine Promulgator
It's about 20m / 60 ft give or take. It's not that big!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2017, 08:47 PM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
Finally, an opportunity for Rc glider guiders to (somewhat) know what it's like to hang glide.

I've hang glid on those same cliffs, way back when. The approach to a beach landing is just like that, but instead of a flare we get the spinny thing firing up.

My next hang glider will have to have one of those things.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:44 AM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
Ok steve, your gonna have some company soon maybe next Saturday or Sunday for my maiden with daylight savings shuttling down after work fun.
Latest blog entry: What I currently own..
Nov 21, 2017, 05:16 PM
WingFocus
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Got the Runcam Split 2 running on my Radian with headtracking. I dig it!

https://youtu.be/F8c9NwLS5UQ
What can I say?

VerRy noooooIce!
Nov 27, 2017, 11:33 PM
I have 2 days out flying my fpv radian, both times no wind or extreme cross almost from the back. Good thing it’s got the spinny thing on the front. Second trip I forgot the headtracker cord so flew fixed and it actually helped me find level flight I think. Still need to finalize a couple things before I share my full build. No hd camera video to share but will put out a vid of what I see using goggle dvr.

A good deal on the fpv umx radian at horizon Black Friday sale. I have not flown any variants of umx radians including this one.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...set-p-eflu6780
Nov 28, 2017, 12:05 AM
Hold my beer and watch this
I figured Id experiment with an old Radian I had laying around and some FPV stuff I had on the bench.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 AM
Quick and dirty, I like it. Did you change incedince on tail and push cg back?
Nov 28, 2017, 12:48 AM
Yes, set the incidence to 0-0 and brought the CG back quite a bit. Still carrying some trim so going to push the CG back a little more. But flies so much better!
Nov 29, 2017, 10:10 PM
The back story goes....I let a friend fly the Radian a few weeks ago and he managed to crash it into a tree. He broke the nose cowl off and wallied up the wings a little, but nothing major. So I quickly repaired everything and decided Id add the FPV gear. I set the incidence to 0-0 and pushed the CG back. I set out on Thanksgiving for a test flight and while I was trimming out the plane, the spinner assembly fell off, probably from when it was crashed into the tree. So after ordering replacement parts, I got everything back together yesterday.

Today I set out for another test flight after work. I threw the Radian out and made sure everything was working okay then put the goggles on and flew around. What a cool experience. There wasnt much wind on the slope so I'd motor up to speck out height and float around. I gotta play with the thrust angle a bit as it wanted to dive on max throttle (I probably glued it back on at a slight angle) but other than that it flew great. I was really surprised by how clear the video signal was, using the TBS Unify Pro and Airscrew antenna. On the goggles I have a True-D V3 Diversity RX with a Madmushroom antenna and a Menace patch antenna.

Id love to get up into the mountains and fly some ridges. Anyone have an idea as to what the range would be on the radio transmitter? Would rather not find out the hard way....
Nov 30, 2017, 02:04 AM
With 2.4 line of site is everything, especially at a distance. I was sitting down a few feet back from the lip at the beach bluff and flew below the lip off to the side and got a critical radio alert on my taranis quickly. Where my same video gear goes thru a bunch of walls with little break up, and only a little loss of signal when radio was freaking out. I’m also true d v3 but have far vew 3 coil omni and one of their pagoda, have a tbs stubby on radian.
Nov 30, 2017, 02:50 AM
2.4Ghz RC range on omni antennas is and should always be much greater than 5.8Ghz video range on omnis.
If it isn't, address that (Tx and Rx antenna orientation, onboard blockage.. etc)
Taranis's low RSSI warning levels are pretty conservative. There's a fair bit of range beyond
the point it complains. I've put quads behind solid rock and flown out. If I'm flying in a
purposely non-LoS environment (inside buildings or parking garages) video will die
*long* before I lose control.

Anyway, assuming RC setup is good, then half mile to mile range should be fairly
easily achievable with standard gear. At our annual FPV meet we have a 1 mile out
and back race, and folks regularly fly that with 2.4Ghz RC and 5.8Ghz video (with a high
gain antenna on the VRX). In an urban area that range will be reduced for both.
Nov 30, 2017, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Id love to get up into the mountains and fly some ridges. Anyone have an idea as to what the range would be on the radio transmitter? Would rather not find out the hard way....
-In the wilderness away from civilization you can get a mile and some change out of omnidirectional 5.8
-you can get over 3 miles with crosshair
-you can run 5+ miles with a pepperbox antenna.

5.8 omnidirectional reciever antennas are a waste of time in my opinion. If the antenna is mounted to your goggles your head usually physically blocks the signal anyways so you end up having to point your head at the plane. They aren't bad in a park setting (little quadcopter) where you don't need the range but rather worthless otherwise.

Crosshair is very generous with it's beam width. Point your antenna vaguely in the direction of your airplane and you get a significantly more solid link than omnidirectional antennas, once you start to reach the limit of your range you may point your antenna directly at the plane but you won't get much additional range at that point.

Pepperbox picks up your airplane's vtx signal and every other blasted signal in a 15+ mile beam from your antenna making the signal often fuzzy. Unlike crosshair you can point your antenna directly at your plane and continue to fly for quite some additional distance once you've reached the limit of your "vague pointing" range.

Houses seem to wreck 5.8 (wifi I think). Omnis don't pick up house emissions as bad as directional antennas. Pepperbox quite is terrible about flying an airplane in front of you and a town behind the airplane (even if that town is miles away in the distance). Crosshair is the preferable antenna IMO, offering the better link in all circumstances except longer distance.

As far as 2.4 signal reach goes, 5.8 is always the weakest link except in the case of pepperbox. I tried Sunhans boosting but ultimately I liked 2.4 ghz "Moxon Rectangle" the best.

Ultimately when you are soaring the circling, the coring of thermals itself seems to really break your video signal and 3 miles ends up being about the reliable limit regardless of whether it's pepperbox or crosshair.
Last edited by parajared; Nov 30, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Nov 30, 2017, 09:52 AM
Also flying mountains is ill-advised on 5.8 without a flight controller. It's fraught with the possibility of dipping behind a hill, accidentally breaking LOS and doing this.
Nov 30, 2017, 12:41 PM
Wow, lots of information! Thanks! I feel like what started off as just a simple thing to try out opened a much bigger can of worms.

Whats the difference between a patch antenna and a crosshair antenna?
Nov 30, 2017, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite
Wow, lots of information! Thanks! I feel like what started off as just a simple thing to try out opened a much bigger can of worms.

Whats the difference between a patch antenna and a crosshair antenna?
Allegedly crosshair antennas are better than patch antennas as something to attach directly to your goggles because they are not "ground plane dependent". Several semi-famous FPVer use patch antennas including Charpu and Bixler so maybe the penalty isn't too bad. Personally I have a head-mounted patch for 1.3ghz and it seems to work fairly decent but I have directly observed the "ground plane dependent" problem while attempting to elevate a 1.3 biquad antenna high off the ground.

Quick Reply