Oct 27, 2017, 12:50 AM
FPV EVERYTHING!
I use LiPo's in all my slopers...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 01:56 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The implication of that question is that if you don't hear of any cases of lipo caused fires in slope gliders, then you
might draw the conclusion that they're safe to use in that application.
Trust me.... it's not my intention to draw any such conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The implication of that question is that if you don't hear of any cases of lipo caused fires in slope gliders, then you
might draw the conclusion that they're safe to use in that application.
I wonder if we are right and in fact not many of our fellow slopers are using Lipos ...... Or...... They are using but not telling us because we've ascribed such a stigma to it. ( the post above being an example...although, to be fair, he IS telling us!)

Turth be told, Ian, I don't disagree with any part of your statement, but I'm still interested in the incidents however rare they might be. Not to minimize the potential for danger, but to learn.
As I'm sure you'll agree, there are myriad other factors that play in this and, seeing as we probably won't be able to ignore the proliferation of Lipos for much longer, it's best to get ahead of the curve and learn about them - "them" being the incidents- however rare their occurrence might be.

And to remind everybody, I'm interested in glider crashes ..... i.e. No motor and no ESC.
Last edited by MATIN; Oct 27, 2017 at 02:02 AM.
Oct 27, 2017, 02:51 AM
I'm All Thumbs
...Just in case you think Ni based cells are completely safe.
This was the result of a 20 something cell e-sailplane from Shred-Air going in @ LosBanos.
Skies
Jay
Oct 27, 2017, 04:49 AM
FPV EVERYTHING!
I wouldn't expect something like a small 500-700mAh 2S LiPo or LiFePo4 pack to be very dangerous in slope gliders. Out of the few packs I have seen destroyed, they didn't have enough heat or energy to do anything more than give a little smoke show. But then again, I don't DS and haven't seen what happens when one is involved in a 300+ MPH crash.
Oct 27, 2017, 09:49 AM
Dean
I would think it would be just as likely, (or not likely), to catch fire regardless of size. I only know of one incident where a lipo caught fire on the slope. The battery fell out of the e-glider somehow and landed on the road below. We don't know if it caught fire when it landed or if a car ran over it and started it burning.
Oct 27, 2017, 10:22 AM
When I was racing RC cars we had to use these things called "ROAR approved lipos". Lipos allegedly built to mitigate risk of a lipo fire mostly by use of hardcase.

Nothing saying you couldn't use a ROAR approved lipo pack in a glider.
Oct 27, 2017, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
When I was racing RC cars we had to use these things called "ROAR approved lipos". Lipos allegedly built to mitigate risk of a lipo fire mostly by use of hardcase.

Nothing saying you couldn't use a ROAR approved lipo pack in a glider.
Problem is, most of those hard cased packs are really heavy.
Oct 28, 2017, 08:45 AM
That thing almost hit me
Everybody blames the lipo. In reference to e sailplanes, I think you will find that it's a failed esc that's more likely to cause a fire.
Latest blog entry: Talon Update
Oct 28, 2017, 02:13 PM
FPV EVERYTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Everybody blames the lipo. In reference to e sailplanes, I think you will find that it's a failed esc that's more likely to cause a fire.
ESC's are the reason for every single fire I have witnessed in person. No ESC's in a sloper though. My brother and I have crashed the hell out of some foam slopers and done some major damage to batteries but we haven't had a fire or even a smoke show yet.
Oct 30, 2017, 11:15 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Got the Runcam Split 2 running on my Radian with headtracking. I dig it!

FPV Slope Soaring with Runcam Split 2 and Headtracking (3 min 10 sec)
Oct 30, 2017, 11:55 PM
Piscine Promulgator

Radian testbed version 3

Here are pics of my version 3 setup on the good ole Radian.

Runcam Swift 2, Fatshark Pan & Tilt (roll servo removed for weight savings), Tramp HV running at 25mW, Pagoda antenna.

It works really well!
Oct 31, 2017, 12:31 AM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
I guess you will have to change the most asked question answer from, as far as I can see to ???
Latest blog entry: What I currently own..
Oct 31, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Got the Runcam Split 2 running on my Radian with headtracking. I dig it!

https://youtu.be/F8c9NwLS5UQ
Nice one!
Nov 04, 2017, 12:57 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Nice start to the weekend!

FPV Slope Soaring - Sunset Chill (2 min 6 sec)
Nov 04, 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Nice start to the weekend!

https://youtu.be/gLGX78UYeNk
Nice-just like being in the plane.
I didn't realise that slope was so high until I saw those people at the bottom.

Quick Reply