Elevons or Rudder only with polyhedral? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 11, 2017, 04:10 AM
flyin' fool
Looks like what you have is called tip dihedral.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 09:07 AM
treefinder
When it dove, was the plane doing it and you pulling up, or vice versa? It sort of looks like that to me. If so, you probably need to add a bit of up elevator trim (reflex). Some (most?) Wings need that. Considering the speed you were flying, i don't think you had way too much elevator throw , but cutting throw probably won't hurt. If you haven't done it yet, a power off glide test may help show how much reflex is needed and if cg is right. Throw w/elevons parallel to fuse and watch for nose up/stall in the glide (tail heavy) or nose down (nose heavy). Add some reflex and see how that affects the glide.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:16 AM
treefinder
This is off topic, but goldguy's tx comment was interesting to me. I fly open source (ersky9x), and when programming a model, i decide what i want each servo to do and go to the mixer for that one to program it. With traditional programming one selects what the plane is to do then does more stuff (i say that because i really don't know what is done after that first setting, having watched guys jumping back and forth between screens while setting up their planes.) There is a basic difference in mindset between the two systems.
Oct 11, 2017, 10:12 AM
Goldguy, its poly, the bottom one.
Chalked off more rear weight and added more washer to the front. Figured controller the correct way. Online has too much mi's info. Still no good way to expo both sides properly. I'll add a touch more reflex and try again.
Oct 11, 2017, 03:59 PM
treefinder
If you have some tall grass where you fly, do a straight out test glide just to see what happens. Quick and easy and, may tell you something important.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:43 PM
flyin' fool
But................. watch out for these.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:50 PM
That straw is deadly to foam. They can fully impale your prized plane. I often pick out splinters after flights but at least there's no humans, cars or buildings to hit. I bought my former super cub after an incident with a combine. Good thing the header and tires missed it mostly
Oct 11, 2017, 09:59 PM
Springer, I will try to add more reflex. It needs more front weight for sure. I had to watch the video a few times because everything was wild pretty quick. No chance to trim in that state.
Oct 12, 2017, 06:52 AM
treefinder
Not sure if this is very scientific, more anectdotal, but my experience has been that tail heavy iserratic, won't hold a heading or attitude, while needing reflex will just want to dive, if one can hold the elevator up the right amount plane will respond ok. Sounds like you experienced both!
Oct 12, 2017, 06:55 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
But................. watch out for these.
I can't wait for those guys! I'm surrounded by corn. Hopefully another week and we can fly over the fields without concern of meeting the combines.