T-33 90mm fiberglass fuselage short kit in the works - RC Groups
Oct 08, 2017, 07:11 PM
Discussion

T-33 90mm fiberglass fuselage short kit in the works

I'm planning on making some short kits available of my original design fiberglass fuselage T-33 90mm kit available soon and I'm trying to get a feel for the interest level.

I made the molds back in 2004/5 and built one prototype. 45.5 inches long, about the same span. It was a lot of work but in the end I got a nice, scale looking jet with the correct curves in all the right places. Some things were fudged a bit but a scale outline T-33 with the correct cross sections has been an occasional obsession of mine ever since I designed a more scale fuselage for the old Kyosho T-33. Its a challenge for sure, but this one came out very nicely. This was designed back in the days of "round cells", where 2400 nicads were the thing and 3000 nickel metal hydride cells were out but not the revolution I hoped for. Just as I was readying this for it's first flights, lithium polymer batteries showed up and after flying them in my other jets I went straight to them for this one. Flying weight with a Mega 22/30/2, 90mm midifan and 5s4p 8000 mah lipos, Jet Hangar mini air retracts was 6 3/4 lbs. It was a hot airplane at that weight, no flaps, and it was so clean it took a while to slow down without flaps but I learned to cut the power early. It pulled about 1200 watts but could have used more, which I had on my other Midi jets, 1850 watts would have made it much better.

The short kit would be a fiberglass fuselage, full area ruled inlet ducting (important for higher speeds) , hot wire cut foam wing cores (perhaps also horizontal and vertical stab cores but the extra time it takes would cost extra), lite and birch ply bulkheads, wing spar and gear mounts (hand and maybe later laser cut), inlet lips that must be attached to the fuselage sides (they must be glued to the fuselage and the joint faired in with bondo spot putty, but I may decide to do that part myself). No clear vacuum formed canopy is available yet, I could make a plug for one by pouring plaster in the mold around that section, but that takes time. It would be a builder's kit, not an ARF, but with a bit of work you'd have a jet with retracts that performs well and looks pretty decent. Fiberglass fuselages provide an excellent base for an aluminum tape burnished finish that looks very much like the full size jet, or regular paint looks fine as well. The only foam is hidden by the balsa sheeting on the wings and tail, and the scale shape is closer the the big foamy on the market.

The laying up has been slow going but I'd learn more as I go, hopefully getting faster. As to availability or delivery dates, no promises are given, but it'd likely be soon, later if I do another build with more pictures and write instructions. I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of demand there is. The first kit took about 9 days, but I'll get quicker.

I'm also considering offering laser cut short kits of my original design 45 inch long twin MF-480 F-22 and a 51" long 90mm F-18 (a highly modified design base off of Kevin Cox's original from 2002ish). I'm looking at local laser cutters but haven't got an estimate yet on cost, those cost about 125 buck to get cut back in 2009 or so. I built and flew the F-18 and it went well, the F-22 test build wasn't finished, but the original scratchbuilt version from 2004 has probably a hundred flights on it, and the 63" depron E-Turbax version with 5500 watts had monster power and flew very well.

Here's a link to the original threads of the jet:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3-scratchbuilt
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-90mm-fan-size

I found a short video, I think there's more somewhere.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...p-Las-Vegas-NV
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Oct 24, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 09:24 PM
space for later
Oct 08, 2017, 09:37 PM
EDF all the way!
Ed,
Good to see you back. Count me in for a T-33.
Bob
Oct 09, 2017, 01:38 PM
its TALON TIME!
ill be watching....
Oct 09, 2017, 03:55 PM
The RC Geek
Very cool Ed! I remember these models very well. Good times! Glad to see you back in the game a little bit.
Oct 09, 2017, 04:08 PM
deltas are cool
im watching too ,good to see you back on here .
Oct 09, 2017, 05:07 PM
its TALON TIME!
holy cow ed, I totally forgot about the big depron f22! that thing was a freaking awesome flyer!
whatever happened to it? ps.///too bad depron is slowly going away, as its no longer being made
Oct 09, 2017, 05:32 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Glad to see you're still at it Ed! This looks cool!
Oct 09, 2017, 10:52 PM
whats up with us old fogies coming back onto goofs lately.
Oct 10, 2017, 01:16 AM
go fly! no crashes!
it's our second coming!

which i'd believe if Monkamarm shows up.
Oct 10, 2017, 08:49 AM
its TALON TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synwpn
it's our second coming!

ahh man, havnt seen him around in ages
Oct 10, 2017, 09:59 AM
The RC Geek
Quote:
it's our second coming!

Actually, I think he popped into a thread the other day! It was in the RBC 90mm skyray thread.
Oct 10, 2017, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Glad to see you're still at it Ed! This looks cool!
Hey dude, good to see you around still, was wondering recently if you ever built that F-18 from the plans? Heck now there's a laser cut version (that was ready 7 years ago...). I still avoid Wasaaaabi!
Oct 10, 2017, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
holy cow ed, I totally forgot about the big depron f22! that thing was a freaking awesome flyer!
whatever happened to it? ps.///too bad depron is slowly going away, as its no longer being made
The 63" F-22 is still in one piece, it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust, now upstairs out of the way, ready to go. I had repainted it and flew it at AZ jets in 2010 and that was the last time it flew. No more depron? That sucks, hadn't head that, but actually only the bottom of the fuselage and some of the bulkheads were depron,. the key to the F-22 was the RCFoam stuff I sheeted it with. The guy from rcfoam.com said he bought a big roll of it, like industrial size move with a forklift or something, from a company called doleco or maybe Dole company. It's the stuff that egg containers are made from, before it's molded to that shape. It comes with a slight bend in it since it comes off of a roll, but not a big deal early in the roll. It's got this nice hard surface on one side that's fairly smooth, a bit of texture but a much nicer surface than depron. I painted a scrap flat black and it was like WOW, I gotta build an F-117! It can be bent into curves a bit, but not really sharp ones. I skinned the big F-22 with it and it worked best on the flat surfaces on the sides and nose, no sanding necessary. I used it on the top and even though it bent into sort of a curve, it tended to just be bent at the stringer locations and wanted to be flat in other places. Next time I'd use balsa on those parts. It's best use is flat fuselage sides and for sheeting foam wing cores. with no sanding or glassing necessary it saves a lot of time. I don't know if he ever ordered any more, it was like 8 years ago the last time I ordered it and he was toward the end of the roll. The internal bulkheads for the F-22 were depron for some and lite ply for others. I guess I should clean up the plan a bit and get it printed full size...
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Oct 10, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:30 PM
2018 EDF Jet Jam June 14-17
Hi Ed! Good to see you back on the forum.