Fake Fest P-51 D Mustang Mold Time!! Group Build - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 18, 2017, 12:08 AM
Chapter one looks great and that plug is a work of art. So nice to see such beautiful craftsmanship.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2017, 05:32 AM
Like Eucebio said...

That P-51 plug looks amazing!

And the mold layup is looking sweetly amazing ! tums up

Brian's wing cores RG14@7.3% airfoil available for this P-51 ?

Thank you for posting.

Where is the sign up list??
Last edited by Sandd; Oct 18, 2017 at 05:41 AM.
Oct 18, 2017, 07:49 AM
Tom, I’m sure the group build list thread will be up
Soon! Brian did some awesome updates on this fuse that you will Not want to miss out on!
Cheers
Oct 18, 2017, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
Halloween is when the switch gets flipped for cooler weather on On Shore Lift! looking forward to it! Im done with summer and off shore breezes and 100 degrees.
So Joe, where are you going for your vacation? Antarctica? Alaska? Hawaii? Bermuda? St. Thomas? Australia?

Mexico is a lot close and cheaper. Not sure about the slope site down their however.

Tom f.
Oct 18, 2017, 01:36 PM
Palm Springs
Oct 18, 2017, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Palm Springs
That is a nice place too and a lot closer. Golf?

There is a fun water park their or near by. Great restaurants too.

Enjoy!

Tom f.
Oct 19, 2017, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Surface coat was brushed on while i heated it .
This stuff is really thick and that is warmed up. It hardly pours from the container but with some heat you can maneuver it around with a brush.

Cheeeers
Hi Joe,
I thought it interesting that you were able to lay down full "sheets" of cut glass during the layup.

While I do millions and millions of cut 3 and 4inch strips
Oct 19, 2017, 10:52 PM

So far Im liking it!

I popped the plug out of the parting board and what I saw was goooood! Cleaned the PVA off then popped out the plastic buttons for the locators. I took a single edge razor blade and fine tuned the parting line surface of the mold and this black tooling resin is nice. Razor blade shaves it really nice and flat then waxed it up and that’s where it sits until Friday night or early Saturday morning for the other side. Still need to trim the edges some before PVA goes on.
Cheers
Last edited by joemach1; Oct 19, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Oct 20, 2017, 10:00 AM
Nice work, really nice.
Oct 20, 2017, 08:57 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Looks perfect!
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Oct 20, 2017, 10:08 PM
There is no perfect ! Thats the target but human factor plays big time!
Sometime nice is perfect for PSS planes.
Cheers
Oct 20, 2017, 10:22 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
There is no perfect ! Thats the target but human factor plays big time!
Sometime nice is perfect for PSS planes.
Cheers
True. Yeah it just (looks perfect). but as you say it is not
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Oct 21, 2017, 12:15 AM

Prep work done

Final coat of wax then foam brush PVA and ten min warm box . 6 am session to finish the layup on side two!
Oct 21, 2017, 12:24 PM
Well no alarm was necessary this morning I got up headed for the shop and the mold was prepped and ready to mix up the black tar surface coat and get right after it ! Took three hrs none stop but now WE HAVE A MOLD! I will assume a NICE mold too but it is what it is at this point but if I have my way we will be a little bit spoiled with these fuses coming out of the mold primed already with will save major labor for paint prep and save quite a bit of weight with way less bondo/putty and sanding that never seems to end! Haha
These are tons of work and patience eaters but thank goodness we take one day at a time and every day refreshed to tackle the next step.
I almost feel as good as my news of becoming a brand new grandpa to my daughters little boy coming in February!! New mold that will hatch many baby P-51 D s to fill the skies of Socal and where ever they may travel is exciting to me!
Off to pack for vacation and shall return to the next step of more mold prep of drilling and spot facing the holes and trimming and two more legs. Then the really good part of makIng the first fuse! Cigar time and Scotch for brian! CHEERS
Oct 21, 2017, 02:57 PM
It's not going to build itself
Congratulations on the Grandchild!!
Mold is looking amazing!