Oct 08, 2017, 09:23 AM
Just here for the pie.
Thread OP
Discussion

North American DLG/F3K Festivals and Contests

This all came about from one of the dinner-table discussions that happen often in my household. We talk about what the next week/months/year will look like and the long-term subject was our trip to Ontario (late September, early October 2018) to visit relatives. My wife doesn't like taking the same route both ways on a trip, so I suggested travelling through the US on one leg. My daughter and I have been talking about and watching videos of the IHLGF in Poway, CA, and when we started talking about what we wanted to see in the US, she said, "Poway, Mommy. I want to see Poway!"

Well, Poway adds about 24 hours of driving, so that's going to tighten up things too much for the 4 weeks I'm planning to take off. So, I started looking for other contests/festivals we could attend.

Initially I thought of The Bruce, since it's around the time we want to travel and I've wanted to meet Bruce since I got into DLG over 4 years ago. Unfortunately, my wife has an event the first weekend in September that she can't miss (Fall Fair transitioning between community groups and she's the only one who knows how everything fits together). That got me thinking that there have to be lots of other DLG events out there and started going through the hand launch forum to pull all the contests together.

Canada
Annual Contests/Festivals
Central Ontario Glider Group (Tecumseth, ON Canada): Second weekend in June

USA
Annual Contests/Festivals
John Erickson Memorial DLG Contest (Perris, CA): Third weekend in January
San Felasco HLG Festival (Alachua, FL): Third weekend in February
Central Carolina Hand Launch Festival (East Bend, NC): Last weekend in March
International HLG Festival (Poway, CA): Last weekend in April
Silent Knights Soaring Society Spring Fling (White Clay Creek State Park, DE): Second weekend in May
Possum Toss (Tullahoma, TN): Last weekend in June
Blue Skies over New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM): Second weekend in July
AMA USA Nationals (Muncie, IN): Third weekend in July
BASS East Coast HLG Classic (Timonium, MD): Second weekend in August
The Bruce (Shelbyville, KY): Second weekend in September
East Coast HLG Festival (Farmville, NC): First weekend in October
Blue Skies over Colorado (Denver, CO): First weekend in October
Atlanta Punkin Chuckin (Americus, GA): Last weekend in October
Blue Skies over Arizona (Eloy, AZ): First weekend in November

Contest Series
Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking Society 2017 DLG contests (Detroit, MI)
Torrey Pines Gulls DLG Contest and Clinic Series (Poway, CA)
El Dorado Cookie Toss (Long Beach, CA)
Pacific NW Hand Launch Contests (Portland, OR; Olympia, WA; Seattle, WA)

Please help me fill in anything I'm missing in the US or Canada.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers!
Randall
Last edited by randall_l; Oct 09, 2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added data (Finally got to add something for Canada, yay!)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 10:52 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
John Erickson Memorial (aka he JEM) is typically mid January in Perris CA.

I'm securing the field now, and will announce specifics as soon as that is finalized.

-l
Oct 08, 2017, 04:12 PM
San Felasco is the 3rd weekend in February.
Oct 08, 2017, 06:27 PM
Wayne Wimbish
AMA US Nationals is usually 3rd weekend in July in Muncie, Indianna.
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Oct 08, 2017, 07:02 PM
How could you leave out the 2 day Seattle Soaring Society contest in September?

And both Seattle and Olympia, WA have a series of contests running from March to October.

Have you talked to David Webb?
Oct 08, 2017, 08:20 PM
Just here for the pie.
Thread OP
The most recent thread I could find on the Seattle Soaring Society contest was from 2009. I thought maybe it died out. Is there a more modern thread that I missed?

I left out series of contests because, well I don't know really. I guess they didn't fit in with what I was thinking at the time. You're right though, if I'm going to have a list of contests, it should include all of the ones that are open to all comers. I'll start adding the ones I can find.

No, I haven't spoken with David yet. I'm not meaning to be rude or anything. The only flight worthy DLG I have right now is an HK Versus--and I'd be way too embarrassed to show up with that. I've ordered a couple 1m ships and I'm waiting until those arrive to introduce myself.

I also don't have a MAAC membership--I'm pretty sure Santa has that on his radar for me and my daughter.

Cheers!
Randall
Oct 08, 2017, 08:33 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l
The most recent thread I could find on the Seattle Soaring Society contest was from 2009. I thought maybe it died out. Is there a more modern thread that I missed?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Contests-2017

Quote:
I left out series of contests because, well I don't know really.
Based on your end of September/early October time frame, unless you are able to drive a long way out of your way (I have no idea what your wife is willing to do, but if it were my wife I would think more than 5 hours would be asking a lot), your best bet is probably either a monthly 1 day in the PNW area (Washington State I am thinking) or the Detroit area. Also since you are new at this, your daughter is young, and you have a wife, I would suggest a 1 day would be best from a good will/logistics perspective anyway.

http://gdshs.org/overall-contest-schedule.htm

Ryan
Oct 08, 2017, 08:51 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
The only flight worthy DLG I have right now is an HK Versus--and I'd be way too embarrassed to show up with that.
Would it make you feel better if I said I have shown up at contests with way more embarrassing models than a Versus? Maybe pictures would help?

Ryan
Oct 08, 2017, 08:53 PM
Just here for the pie.
Thread OP
I had looked at the PNW contest thread and it looked like a series, so I left it out initially. I've added it and the others I've found now. Thanks.

Cheers!
Randall
Oct 08, 2017, 08:56 PM
No embarrassment at all... I met the guys while flying my first DLG, a Topsky 1 (which I broke the wing on my first ever DLG session), and started competing with a Topsky 2. I understand your feeling though as that plus a slight intimidation left me flying alone for a ‘while’ before I had the courage to reach out and meet the guys.
Oct 08, 2017, 09:21 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Possum Toss in TN, Late June.
CCHLF in greensboro NC, March
BASS in Baltimore
Delaware
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:38 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
CCHLF in greensboro NC, March
Am I hosting something I did not know about???LOL I am working on something for November in Winston Salem.

If you have gotten things going already I will help any way I can.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Am I hosting something I did not know about???LOL I am working on something for Novemeber in Winston Salem.
CCHLF is Nathan Bartley's contest.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:41 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
CCHLF is Nathan Bartley's contest.
Cool, I did not know it was in Greensboro. I did not know we even had a field here in GBoro. Awesome !! What field or club are we flying at?
Oct 09, 2017, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Cool, I did not know it was in Greensboro. I did not know we even had a field here in GBoro. Awesome !! What field or club are we flying at?
Technically Statesville I guess.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...29-March-24-26

Quick Reply