Dual RX Set Up Question - RC Groups
Oct 08, 2017, 10:15 AM
Discussion

Dual RX Set Up Question

I am setting up a BVM F-16 and have decided to go dual RX (for the first time). I will be using (2) Futaba R7008SB RX (not in sbus mode). How should I split the plane? Left side and right side? Or do you usually cross the controls (left elevator and right aileron on the same RX)?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 07:42 PM
What tx are you using? You know that with the newer FASSTest capable tx's you can setup those two rx's in series mode e.g. 1-8 and 9-16?

I don't remember how many channels my BVM 1/6 uses since a friend put it together, but it's got a PowerBox Mercury PE with two R7003 rx's and the Mercury has a built in six axis gyro.

If you set the rx's up in the configuration you are talking about or "parallel", you'll only have 8 channels available and I think it'll be pretty hard to make that work on that model; not enough channels.
Oct 08, 2017, 07:52 PM
I will be using a 18SZ TX with the RXs in series (1-8/9-16). I'm just trying to figure out the best way to split the control surfaces.
Oct 08, 2017, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushong572
I will be using a 18SZ TX with the RXs in series (1-8/9-16). I'm just trying to figure out the best way to split the control surfaces.
Well my first thought is how do you get away with only using 8 channels which is what you'll be limited to in that configuration?

Well there is no need to "split" the channels with the rx's in series, I thought you were still talking about a parallel setup. You assign a single servo to a single channel and put 'em where ever you want. The big issue with this setup is getting enough battery power into the rx's to handle the load.
Last edited by Zeeb; Oct 08, 2017 at 08:11 PM.
Oct 08, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well my first thought is how do you get away with only using 8 channels which is what you'll be limited to in that configuration?
No, 1 rx will be ch 1-8 the second will be 9-14 in the FASSTest series mode.
I will have 14 ch total.
Last edited by bushong572; Oct 08, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Oct 08, 2017, 08:14 PM
Okay I would suggest that you just go in and setup a model with the four servo wing, dual servo elevator and single servo rudder then let the tx pick the channels it wants. You can change it if you want but do not change that setup after you start programming or it'll erase the model.

What are you going to do about power?
Oct 08, 2017, 08:18 PM
separate battery for each RX
Oct 08, 2017, 08:20 PM
Quote:
separate battery for each RX
You're going to need more than one servo size connector from the battery to the rx. By themselves, those leads are limited to about 4 amps continous with 22g. wires and gold plated pins. The less expensive ones with the silver pins will only do about 2 1/2 amps continous.
Oct 09, 2017, 01:14 PM
Danger! Danger!
Why not use a Powerbox PowerExpander and s.bus the two receivers into that then run all the servos from the PowerExpander? I do this in my T-one and will soon do this with my SM F-15. This way if you lose a receiver you still have full control of the plane and you don't have to pump a bunch of power through your Rxs.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:11 PM
I have never used a Power Expander before, but this looks like the way to go for a dual RX setup.

Thanks
Oct 09, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
I have never used a Power Expander before, but this looks like the way to go for a dual RX setup.

Thanks
I didn't think you were interested in a PE after telling you what I put in my F-16.

Any way, I noticed that you've been asking questions about the Cortex gyro and sold one here the other day. May I suggest that if you start looking at PowerBox stuff, you look at the Mercury. It's quite a bit smaller than the others, has a ton of features including a built in six axis gyro and will offer dual rx's with the ability to isolated them from each other if one should fail.

There are two offered; one has a GPS module and the other one does not with about a $70 price difference between the two. If you get the GPS module, it allows the PE to adjust the gyro for speeds so you don't have as much correction at speed as you need at say a crosswind landing.

Power input is through two Multiplex connectors and I would recommend that you buy the adapters for which ever leads you like say Deans, EC3, or whatever. I use dual A123 packs with EC3's and buy the short adapter to go from EC3 to the Multiplex. Oh, the PE also has a voltage (?) regulator. I'm scratching my head a bit as I know that the Royal SRS has that and I THINK the Mercury does but I cannot swear to it right now.... lol

The instructions are pretty easy to follow and PB has an excellent CS forum to answer questions which is usually done within 24 hours or sooner.
Oct 09, 2017, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I didn't think you were interested in a PE after telling you what I put in my F-16.

Any way, I noticed that you've been asking questions about the Cortex gyro and sold one here the other day. May I suggest that if you start looking at PowerBox stuff, you look at the Mercury. It's quite a bit smaller than the others, has a ton of features including a built in six axis gyro and will offer dual rx's with the ability to isolated them from each other if one should fail.

There are two offered; one has a GPS module and the other one does not with about a $70 price difference between the two. If you get the GPS module, it allows the PE to adjust the gyro for speeds so you don't have as much correction at speed as you need at say a crosswind landing.

Power input is through two Multiplex connectors and I would recommend that you buy the adapters for which ever leads you like say Deans, EC3, or whatever. I use dual A123 packs with EC3's and buy the short adapter to go from EC3 to the Multiplex. Oh, the PE also has a voltage (?) regulator. I'm scratching my head a bit as I know that the Royal SRS has that and I THINK the Mercury does but I cannot swear to it right now.... lol

The instructions are pretty easy to follow and PB has an excellent CS forum to answer questions which is usually done within 24 hours or sooner.

Honestly, I didn't know what I wanted to do. This is my 4th and largest turbine. I have never run dual RX in anything before. I pulled the Demon because I couldn't stand the constant servo jitter. I might fly it without a gyro for a while. I will look into the Mercury.

I appreciate your help.
Oct 09, 2017, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Honestly, I didn't know what I wanted to do. This is my 4th and largest turbine. I have never run dual RX in anything before. I pulled the Demon because I couldn't stand the constant servo jitter. I might fly it without a gyro for a while. I will look into the Mercury.

I appreciate your help.
You are quite welcome, please let me know if I can answer other questions for you?

Here's a pic of the Mercury in my F-16. The smaller size makes it much better for tight/small install areas. You can see the on/off switch on the left side of the Mercury as you look at this picture and there's an EC3 connector right next to it.
Oct 11, 2017, 11:07 AM
KingtechUSA
Quote:

I appreciate your help.
It flies so much better with the cortex. Up to almost 500 flights on one of the first BVM F16s built its been a great plane. Its night and day difference with the gyro on. A few times I took off with it off and was worried something was wrong with the plane since it felt so different.

Cannot recommend using the gyro enough.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:07 PM
OK Guys.. I dont know if this is appropriate place.. But here I go..

I have 4 different PB Mercuries and consider myself "knowledgable" (not an expert to avoid criticism) and I have a bunch of guys telling me that the Demon Cortex is a superior gyro.. Opinions with some facts to back them up anyone? Or is this a VERY subjective question??

Thanks in advance
Chris