Oct 09, 2017, 06:39 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Wjh... You're right. Slopers are a bunch of unsociable thugs.......
I asked a question. Did not make a statement.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2017, 08:01 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Thread OP
Today's VLOG!

Enjoy the personal shout outs and associated Piffle, Balderdash, Poppycock and Non Sense!

b

Beaver and VLOG blather... (10 min 2 sec)

Timby VLOG blather.... (7 min 0 sec)
Oct 10, 2017, 10:00 PM
Wow,

Great thread. I recently bought an RV for retirement at the end of the year. My wife and I will be doing some travelling, but I only think it will be a few weeks at a time.

I'm thinking of getting a Mini Timber for the RV. You can fly something like that just about anywhere. If Horizon were to do a UMX Valiant, I'd be all over that one too.

I hadn't thought much about doing the club thing. Maybe that would be ok, especially if you can make contact with someone on the E-Zone for an introduction. My club allows people to fly up to three days as a guest (with AMA). They will also do pro rated memberships. Regular dues are only $60 for a whole year so pro-rated is pretty cheap. Feel free to contact me if you are on the road in Southern California, (at least until next summer when I expect to be a political refugee from California).

My club hosts some events throughout the year. There's one guy in an R.V. that just goes from event to event. He dry camps at our field for our events.

I am going to do some of the larger flying events. I've gone to the Arizona Electric Festival 3 or 4 times and stayed at a hotel. I think I'll give that one a try in February in the R.V.

Mickydee
Oct 11, 2017, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Wow,

Great thread. I recently bought an RV for retirement at the end of the year. My wife and I will be doing some travelling, but I only think it will be a few weeks at a time.

I'm thinking of getting a Mini Timber for the RV. You can fly something like that just about anywhere. If Horizon were to do a UMX Valiant, I'd be all over that one too.

I hadn't thought much about doing the club thing. Maybe that would be ok, especially if you can make contact with someone on the E-Zone for an introduction. My club allows people to fly up to three days as a guest (with AMA). They will also do pro rated memberships. Regular dues are only $60 for a whole year so pro-rated is pretty cheap. Feel free to contact me if you are on the road in Southern California, (at least until next summer when I expect to be a political refugee from California).

My club hosts some events throughout the year. There's one guy in an R.V. that just goes from event to event. He dry camps at our field for our events.

I am going to do some of the larger flying events. I've gone to the Arizona Electric Festival 3 or 4 times and stayed at a hotel. I think I'll give that one a try in February in the R.V.

Mickydee
Thanks,

Hopefully this will be a good little resource over time!

Yah, we will be gone for 2/3 of a year so In a measure to get some "me" time depending on where we end up I'll ping the locals!

If I may, after you flee the most beautiful state in the union (If not for the nearly 40 million people there) where will you settle?

B
Oct 11, 2017, 10:23 AM
Hi,

My family is originally from Texas and we have a few relatives there. My son will be going to Baylor University after he graduates from high school in May. We'll all move to Waco then. The price for him to dorm there is pretty close to a house payment so we'll just get a house there for now and do some traveling to look around. We have family in Fredericksburg and really like that area.

I have lived in California all my life and I still love the weather. All the rest, including the political landscape? Not so much......
Oct 11, 2017, 11:47 AM
I always bring a plane(s) with me when RVing.
Our 5'ver has enough room for just about any of my planes.

Especially a float plane.
A lot of RV parks seem to be near a lake or river.
Or will have a pond on site.

I take great care not to fly in an annoying or careless manner, way beyond AMA safety rules. Very controlled pattern, minimal aerobatics and then only at altitude.
No barnstorming.
So far have had no issues with park owners or staff.
On the contrary, it usually gets a lot of spectators and interest.
Electric only of course.

I've even been approached by Park Rangers who would inform me that it was "against the rules", then after seeing the level of control I had over the plane would tell me they weren't worried about it unless someone were to complain.
They way they talked, the rules were targeted at drones.
Oct 11, 2017, 02:23 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!

Salt Lake City

First of all I am way jealous that you get to do this. I'm still 10 year away from reFlyerment. If you find your self in the Salt Lake City Utah or Grand Junction Colorado area, give me a shout. You can fly at my clubs as my guest any time.

Enjoy your reFlyerment and hope to see you im my area some day.

Archie
Oct 11, 2017, 03:32 PM
Wow,

Thanks guys!
Oct 11, 2017, 04:12 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I am embarking on my first RV/RC trip this weekend to Mac Hodges for HHAEFI, and am super stoked to have a few comforts on this trip.

Regarding what to bring. I am bringing anything that will fit through the door
will probably be limited to 1/4 scale or smaller.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:20 PM
That thing almost hit me
The perfect RC RV......
Last edited by Tahoed; Oct 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Oct 12, 2017, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

My family is originally from Texas and we have a few relatives there. My son will be going to Baylor University after he graduates from high school in May. We'll all move to Waco then. The price for him to dorm there is pretty close to a house payment so we'll just get a house there for now and do some traveling to look around. We have family in Fredericksburg and really like that area.

I have lived in California all my life and I still love the weather. All the rest, including the political landscape? Not so much......
Texas seems like a great place to base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_
I always bring a plane(s) with me when RVing.
Our 5'ver has enough room for just about any of my planes.

Especially a float plane.
A lot of RV parks seem to be near a lake or river.
Or will have a pond on site.

I take great care not to fly in an annoying or careless manner, way beyond AMA safety rules. Very controlled pattern, minimal aerobatics and then only at altitude.
No barnstorming.
So far have had no issues with park owners or staff.
On the contrary, it usually gets a lot of spectators and interest.
Electric only of course.

I've even been approached by Park Rangers who would inform me that it was "against the rules", then after seeing the level of control I had over the plane would tell me they weren't worried about it unless someone were to complain.
They way they talked, the rules were targeted at drones.
Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwinger
First of all I am way jealous that you get to do this. I'm still 10 year away from reFlyerment. If you find your self in the Salt Lake City Utah or Grand Junction Colorado area, give me a shout. You can fly at my clubs as my guest any time.

Enjoy your reFlyerment and hope to see you im my area some day.

Archie
I'm going to maintain this thread indefinatly and will call on you folk when in the area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
I am embarking on my first RV/RC trip this weekend to Mac Hodges for HHAEFI, and am super stoked to have a few comforts on this trip.

Regarding what to bring. I am bringing anything that will fit through the door
will probably be limited to 1/4 scale or smaller.
Pictures and video are ALWAYS appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
The perfect RC RV......
#dirtyacht

b
Oct 12, 2017, 12:37 PM
On second thought, maybe smallish foamie models, without landing gear, would be more practical for typical small field flying in deep grass fields in RV parks. Foamies are easier to repair than balsa models with epoxy, etc. Bring along your Dremel tool with sanding drums, cutoff wheels, and small drill bits and a small soldering iron, 60/40 rosin core solder and rosin paste flux. A mini JIS screwdriver to fit mini servo arm screws is needed to remove mini servo arms. A large X-Acto handle with chisel blades is handy for certain repairs.
Oct 12, 2017, 02:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Well, I just picked up the RV for the weekend, a standard size from CruiseAmerica.com.

Pretty impressed so far and looking forward to seeing how much easier this makes my trip to Mac Hodges for a weekend of flying.

Pics empty and loaded will come soon!
Oct 12, 2017, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
On second thought, maybe smallish foamie models, without landing gear, would be more practical for typical small field flying in deep grass fields in RV parks. Foamies are easier to repair than balsa models with epoxy, etc. Bring along your Dremel tool with sanding drums, cutoff wheels, and small drill bits and a small soldering iron, 60/40 rosin core solder and rosin paste flux. A mini JIS screwdriver to fit mini servo arm screws is needed to remove mini servo arms. A large X-Acto handle with chisel blades is handy for certain repairs.
Good advice.

I'm heading toward carrying a bunch of my UMX gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Well, I just picked up the RV for the weekend, a standard size from CruiseAmerica.com.

Pretty impressed so far and looking forward to seeing how much easier this makes my trip to Mac Hodges for a weekend of flying.

Pics empty and loaded will come soon!
Looking forward to the pix!

b
Oct 12, 2017, 05:00 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
I don't do RV-ing, I do camping. Have no trouble loaded with planes, kayaks, and pets.

Quick Reply