Oct 08, 2017, 05:07 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.mcclelland
My wife and I have been full time RV'ers for almost 8 years now. I took up RC flying while on the road about 6 years ago, and have built up quite the stable of planes and heli's.

We volunteer at federal wildlife refuges and state parks, and so tend to stay in areas for 3 - 6 months at a time. If there is a local RC club I will try to join it for the period of time that I am going to be there. Some clubs make it easy with a pro-rated rate and low (or no) initiation fee, while others are so rigid in their fee structure that it isn't worth joining. Even better are places like Farragut State Park in Idaho with a beautiful flying field inside the park (stayed there for two summers) but those are few and far between. And I've made use of a few soccer fields or open parks with my smaller stuff.

As far as planes I have several: Parkzone T-28, E-flite P-51 Dallas Doll, and Parkzone Visionaire. All in the "full-size (1m) class. The key is that each of these can be disassembled and put back onto their boxes for storage under our king-sized bed or in the compartment under the fifth wheel. They may be there for weeks or even months if we're moving often or in an area without an appropriate field or flying area. I can assemble any one of them in a matter of about ten minutes, but generally don't get them out unless I'm in an area for a while.

I also have a Twisted Hobbies 34" Crack Yak that doesn't break down, and rides in a tall, narrow storage compartment hanging from its prop and bungied into a cardboard cradle that I made and attached to the wall. That little 3-D plane can be flown almost anywhere, so is always ready to go.

In the past 4 years I've gotten into Heli's and have a (large to small) Blade 230-S, 130-S, Nano CP-s and m SR-s. These can be flown in very small areas, especially the Nano CP-s and the m SR-s.

I've got an Inductrix and as well as the FPV version of the Inductrix to fly around outside when it is calm or inside anytime.

Everything is electric so I've got a couple of chargers, various parallel charging boards, lipo sacks, etc. Batteries are kept in a vented ammo can.

My biggest challenge is when I'm at a site where I have access to a flying field, and have the T-28, P-51 and Visionaire all assembled. They take up a lot of room in that configuration and I've got to really clear out the lower storage area of the fifth wheel to hanger them. Sometimes we get lucky and our volunteer site has a storage shed or laundry building where I can keep the planes, but if not storing them is a trick. I know a couple of folks who rig a way to hang them up against the ceiling, but for my wife's sake I try to keep the inside of the trailer clear!

So it can definitely be done. If you are traveling a lot and spending only a few days in a location I would imagine finding flying areas is more challenging. But where there's a will, there's a way...
You have painted an AMAZING picture!

Wife and I will be on the road "extended stay" for up to 8 months at a time!

Our home base will be our sticks and bricks in Orlando!

I appear t be on the right track on my thinking! My front basement is taken up with a generator but above it I can stick TWO or Three UMX air craft!

My full basement is just that, full.

The under bed and over the dryer is mine and I will have room for the Durafly Tundra and MAYBE one other full air craft. Wifey doesn't care about R/C but she cares about me so we are making room!

We won't be staying places initially for long periods but my pick up has a MONSTER bed (Retrax cover) and the crew cab can accommodate for the period of time.

This makes me happy that I'm heading in the right direction!

Many thanx!

b
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I have flown in KOA and other commercial RV park fields with small slow-flying electric powered RC models that don't need a lot of space. My Mountain Models "Switchback" was near perfect for this. Of course don't fly over onlookers or near children and dog walkers. Most state and Federal RV venues may have prohibitions against model flying and other potentially "dangerous" activities. Bring along hand tools, adhesives, and accessory items that may be needed.
Now THIS is a challenge!

I have an a few areas in my RV that are "access" panels where there is quite a bit of room if things are placed in a tote.

I won't use my Haku soldering iron much but MAN when you need it....

I will store spares that I have in this same area and will count the area as storage for things that are "seldom used".

Yah, I think now that R/C is on the forefront (READ: Careless drone operators) parks to include Florida State Parks are prohibiting such things.

Many thanx for your observations!

b
Oct 08, 2017, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJH
Arenít slope soaring people as territorial as surfers?
That is a dynamic I NEVER would have considered. Interesting.

b
Oct 08, 2017, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Model flyers are often fearful of losing an unauthorized flying place due to an incident caused by a visiting flyer.
I never would have thought about that.

Now that you mention it, a duck hunter does not divulge his honey hole.....

b
Oct 08, 2017, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
I checked in with my local flying club and they let AMA members visiting for 5 days.

The idea is that they want to foster reciprocity.

b
Oct 08, 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob
I checked in with my local flying club and they let AMA members visiting for 5 days.

The idea is that they want to foster reciprocity.

b
I have found that the dynamics of visiting a club can be tricky. Finding the contact person is often the first issue. The AMA club directory is a good place to start, as they generally list a current contact. Beyond that I've found that club websites, and Facebook sites may have better or more current information.

Many clubs are behind locked gates and in order to fly there you often have to meet up with an officer, demonstrate proficiency at some level (so bring a plane and be ready to fly it). Even then they may be reluctant to give you the combination, and request that you only fly when other members are present.

There will certainly be opportunities to check out the 'Grumpy old men at flying clubs" syndrome. That first contact can be interesting, especially if you just show up at the club while others are flying. Introducing yourself and explaining what you are doing (RV'ing through their area) and what you'd like to do (fly at their club for a few days) can be met with either welcoming arms or outright suspicion. Offering a small donation toward field maintenance can make things easier, but some places are just tough.

Since we tend to stay longer in areas I usually have time to let this all play out. But shorter visits may make it difficult to get it all done and still have a chance to fly a day or two.
Oct 08, 2017, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Y

We won't be staying places initially for long periods but my pick up has a MONSTER bed (Retrax cover) and the crew cab can accommodate for the period of time.

b
I've thought about getting a Retrax cover for this reason alone. When transporting my assembled planes to the field from the campground I have had to get pretty creative arranging them inside of the cab my pickup. A bed cover would be the total solution to that issue, but otherwise I don't really need one...
Oct 08, 2017, 06:31 PM
Quote:
How many of you are spending time in a Recreation Vehicle and how do you R/C on the road.

Soon the wifey and I will "Hit the road" for 8 months at a time and she is kind enough to want me to enjoy my hobby on the road but space is an issue and as fun as RC is, it's kind of a solitary sport.

We'll be traveling in THIS RIG and as spacious as it is, space is finite!

Tips and tricks are appreciated.

Where to R/C when on the road? Baseball diamonds. AMA fields.

When to slip away for R/C?

How to store R/C in the RV?

What to carry? UMX or Full size (1m)?

Pubic park rules?

What else am I to consider?

b
If you find yourselves in Vancouver, British Columbia, PM me and we can go flying at our club in Coquitlam.
Oct 08, 2017, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
If you find yourselves in Vancouver, British Columbia, PM me and we can go flying at our club in Coquitlam.
I'll look you up!

Year #1 brings us up the Eastern seaboard and to Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and the like!

I'm 53 and never owned a pass port!

It appears prior to 9/11 the dollar could get you from one end of the Caribbean to the other and I've never been abroad!

Early retirement will change that!

We'll be on YOUR side of Canada on the way up to AK in 2019!

b
Oct 08, 2017, 11:24 PM
That thing almost hit me
Slopers are a bunch of unsociable thugs.......
Last edited by Tahoed; Oct 09, 2017 at 08:29 AM.
Oct 08, 2017, 11:43 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
I have found that the dynamics of visiting a club can be tricky. Finding the contact person is often the first issue. The AMA club directory is a good place to start, as they generally list a current contact. Beyond that I've found that club websites, and Facebook sites may have better or more current information.

Many clubs are behind locked gates and in order to fly there you often have to meet up with an officer, demonstrate proficiency at some level (so bring a plane and be ready to fly it). Even then they may be reluctant to give you the combination, and request that you only fly when other members are present.

There will certainly be opportunities to check out the 'Grumpy old men at flying clubs" syndrome. That first contact can be interesting, especially if you just show up at the club while others are flying. Introducing yourself and explaining what you are doing (RV'ing through their area) and what you'd like to do (fly at their club for a few days) can be met with either welcoming arms or outright suspicion. Offering a small donation toward field maintenance can make things easier, but some places are just tough.
Slope flying is just the opposite....With the exception of Torrey Pines (Payment AMA and a check out required) most authorized coastal sites have no club, no dues, and no locked gates. (Some require AMA), however power planes maybe a no go. Some you can drive to, others require a little hike. State parks may require a day use pass if your not camping. On weekends people show up and fly. After flying, a beverage or two may be in order.
Last edited by Tahoed; Oct 08, 2017 at 11:58 PM.
Oct 08, 2017, 11:50 PM
mutski
I see friends at the Fairbanks club stacking fairly large planes in the cab-over portion of the camper. Like the Flyzone Beaver.Don't imagine your wife would go for it, but some rip out most of the insides to make room for really big planes. One has a drop-down rear wall like an ATV trailer to get them in and out. I'm not sure where he finds room to sleep.

Personally, I travel with the UMX Pitts, and sometimes with a quadccoptor - DJI Phantom or a home-built that fits in a Pelican case.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:27 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Perhaps consider an X-vert VTOL. You don't need a runway and it is FPV ready if that interests you.
Oct 09, 2017, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:

Since we tend to stay longer in areas I usually have time to let this all play out. But shorter visits may make it difficult to get it all done and still have a chance to fly a day or two.
Another GREAT observation and I can see this happening CLEARLY!

My thread, short story to follow:

I used to fly in local outlaw fields alone, loved it! I thought it would be beneficial to go to a club so I joined my local helicopter club. Great guys but for the most part I didn't learn anything other than I was winding down on helicopters. Fellowship was great!

I knew of the "Plank club" across the way and as my flying partner who has the social grace of a common brick was fast wearing out his welcome at the heli club, I sent him on recon at the plank club.

He joined and I joined later!

WHAT a GREAT group of old farts!

I will say this though. I'd be at one end of the flight line (far away from the coffee maker and therefore far away from the grump old men) and I'd fly LOS then FPV as our FREAKIN' FIELD FACED DUE EAST (This leads me to believe the club was designed by Yankees. WHO in their right mind would do such a thing?)!

There is no other way to say this so I'm just going to say this. P. T. Barnum didn't understand humans as well as I do so I made sure I "checked in" with the old guy crew and exchanged a certain amount of pleasantries and it still took them YEARS to trust me!

They'd stand down at the end of the pits and look at me with Fat Shark goggles on my head and ask each other "What do think he's doin' with the things?" and another exceedingly old man would answer "Conspirin' against the government, I bet!"!

Eventually the Grumpy Old Men would bring their grand children and I'd let them wear "Pax goggles" and because of my schedule it would be 6 weeks between visits to the club, I'd come back and the old men would have an FPV drone! HA!

Time would pass and we'd ALL be fast friends!

I guess what I'll do is ply my "gift" and offer up my (Tongue in cheek) endearing personality and a "tip" to the club and if met with staunch resistance, pass.

Again, dynamics I didn't consider! Thanx.

b
Oct 09, 2017, 06:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Slope flying is just the opposite....With the exception of Torrey Pines (Payment AMA and a check out required) most authorized coastal sites have no club, no dues, and no locked gates. (Some require AMA), however power planes maybe a no go. Some you can drive to, others require a little hike. State parks may require a day use pass if your not camping. On weekends people show up and fly. After flying, a beverage or two may be in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Wjh... You're right. Slopers are a bunch of unsociable thugs.......
The humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad
Perhaps consider an X-vert VTOL. You don't need a runway and it is FPV ready if that interests you.
I've seen one ITRW and it IS cool!

See below!

Again, very interesting dynamic I hadn't considered. I've watched the S/S guys on videos and it looks sooooooooo cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski
I see friends at the Fairbanks club stacking fairly large planes in the cab-over portion of the camper. Like the Flyzone Beaver.Don't imagine your wife would go for it, but some rip out most of the insides to make room for really big planes. One has a drop-down rear wall like an ATV trailer to get them in and out. I'm not sure where he finds room to sleep.

Personally, I travel with the UMX Pitts, and sometimes with a quadccoptor - DJI Phantom or a home-built that fits in a Pelican case.
Hiya MUSKI!!!

This may seem odd but I took leave of my senses and forgot I have an Eflite Convergence!

I've had UNTOLD issues with it I won't bore you with but I think I have them sorted. If so it will be a PERFECT companion due to VTOL and size to carry with me! I'm such a goof! I guess I simply put it out of my mind?

Convergence fly #2 (6 min 50 sec)

Quick Reply