Thread Tools
Oct 08, 2017, 07:26 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

RVing with R/C. What do you do?


EDIT: We've HIT the road! More info in the 2nd post!


How many of you are spending time in a Recreation Vehicle and how do you R/C on the road?

Soon the wifey and I will "Hit the road" for 8 months at a time and she is kind enough to want me to enjoy my hobby on the road but space is an issue and as fun as RC is, it's kind of a solitary sport.

We'll be traveling in THIS RIG and as spacious as it is, space is finite!

Tips and tricks are appreciated.

Where to R/C when on the road? Baseball diamonds. AMA fields.

When to slip away for R/C?

How to store R/C in the RV?

What to carry? UMX or Full size (1m)?

Pubic park rules?

What else am I to consider?

b
Last edited by rikybob; Aug 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: The thread has "Evolved"
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 07:29 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
Come visit and stay a while.

OT is encouraged, not discouraged!


B
Last edited by rikybob; Aug 11, 2018 at 10:34 AM.
Oct 08, 2017, 07:30 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
Reserved.....
Oct 08, 2017, 08:36 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
WJH's Avatar
Iím going to give it a try for the first time at Flitefest South
Oct 08, 2017, 08:41 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
I really need to go as it is in the town I grew up in.......

Perhaps a "siccy" is in order?

b

Flightfest south!
Oct 08, 2017, 08:58 AM
circle flyer
slow and low's Avatar
Everyone's situation is different but the UMX planes fills my addiction when camping. They travel well in their factory boxes with room for batteries, chargers, spare parts and fit nicely in the bottom of one closet. Finding room to fly has never been a problem. This is what travels with me when on the road.

Larry
Oct 08, 2017, 09:38 AM
That thing almost hit me
Tahoed's Avatar
Brian, Maybe you need to think about a different type of plane and consider slope or electric sailplane flying. The west has lots of spots where camping is available at or near the flying site, the planes fly for hours on ni cads or small lipos, and the views are spectacular. You can always fly a umx or two in the parking lots in the evening....fishing is also an option at many spots... Electric sailplanes can be flown almost anywhere, flat field or off the slope....
Last edited by Tahoed; Oct 08, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Oct 08, 2017, 10:01 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow and low
Everyone's situation is different but the UMX planes fills my addiction when camping. They travel well in their factory boxes with room for batteries, chargers, spare parts and fit nicely in the bottom of one closet. Finding room to fly has never been a problem. This is what travels with me when on the road.

Larry

Really nice stable Larry!


I have a pile of UMX to include the Hoglett!


I'm going to jam as many in as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Brian, Maybe you need to think about a different type of plane and consider slope or electric sailplane flying. The west has lots of spots where camping is available at or near the flying site, the planes fly for hours on ni cads or small lipos, and the views are spectacular. You can always fly a umx or two in the parking lots in the evening....fishing is also an option at many spots... Electric sailplanes can be flown almost anywhere, flat field or off the slope....
Hmmm I have a BIG Fox Glider that breaks down pretty nice!


As for fishing I have a "Porta Bote" I'll post a link to tonight!


Amazing solution!


b
Oct 08, 2017, 10:19 AM
That thing almost hit me
Tahoed's Avatar
The guys you meet and the planes are pretty cool too..... Check out the slope soaring threads at RCG.....
Last edited by Tahoed; Oct 08, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Oct 08, 2017, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Captain Dunsel's Avatar
Been doing it since we bought our first camper, in 1988 (a 21' mini-motor home). Back then, my wife's 2 meter powered glider and my 36" acrobat stayed in the overhead sleeper. Met a lot of folks and flew at quite a few R/C fields, from NJ to Nebraska (and Germany).

Now, we take a few if the UMX and Tower micros with us (my preference was an Ember, but they're no longer easy to get). The Ember (or a Vapour) are great for flying within a campground, circling around under the trees and shooting touch & goes off picnic tables. It's a bit tricky to fly, but the tiny Inum is also good for tiny areas. You just have to be careful with the thing getting warped in the box!

CD
Oct 08, 2017, 01:11 PM
Registered User
My wife and I have been full time RV'ers for almost 8 years now. I took up RC flying while on the road about 6 years ago, and have built up quite the stable of planes and heli's.

We volunteer at federal wildlife refuges and state parks, and so tend to stay in areas for 3 - 6 months at a time. If there is a local RC club I will try to join it for the period of time that I am going to be there. Some clubs make it easy with a pro-rated rate and low (or no) initiation fee, while others are so rigid in their fee structure that it isn't worth joining. Even better are places like Farragut State Park in Idaho with a beautiful flying field inside the park (stayed there for two summers) but those are few and far between. And I've made use of a few soccer fields or open parks with my smaller stuff.

As far as planes I have several: Parkzone T-28, E-flite P-51 Dallas Doll, and Parkzone Visionaire. All in the "full-size (1m) class. The key is that each of these can be disassembled and put back onto their boxes for storage under our king-sized bed or in the compartment under the fifth wheel. They may be there for weeks or even months if we're moving often or in an area without an appropriate field or flying area. I can assemble any one of them in a matter of about ten minutes, but generally don't get them out unless I'm in an area for a while.

I also have a Twisted Hobbies 34" Crack Yak that doesn't break down, and rides in a tall, narrow storage compartment hanging from its prop and bungied into a cardboard cradle that I made and attached to the wall. That little 3-D plane can be flown almost anywhere, so is always ready to go.

In the past 4 years I've gotten into Heli's and have a (large to small) Blade 230-S, 130-S, Nano CP-s and m SR-s. These can be flown in very small areas, especially the Nano CP-s and the m SR-s.

I've got an Inductrix and as well as the FPV version of the Inductrix to fly around outside when it is calm or inside anytime.

Everything is electric so I've got a couple of chargers, various parallel charging boards, lipo sacks, etc. Batteries are kept in a vented ammo can.

My biggest challenge is when I'm at a site where I have access to a flying field, and have the T-28, P-51 and Visionaire all assembled. They take up a lot of room in that configuration and I've got to really clear out the lower storage area of the fifth wheel to hanger them. Sometimes we get lucky and our volunteer site has a storage shed or laundry building where I can keep the planes, but if not storing them is a trick. I know a couple of folks who rig a way to hang them up against the ceiling, but for my wife's sake I try to keep the inside of the trailer clear!

So it can definitely be done. If you are traveling a lot and spending only a few days in a location I would imagine finding flying areas is more challenging. But where there's a will, there's a way...
Oct 08, 2017, 03:03 PM
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
I have flown in KOA and other commercial RV park fields with small slow-flying electric powered RC models that don't need a lot of space. My Mountain Models "Switchback" was near perfect for this. Of course don't fly over onlookers or near children and dog walkers. Most state and Federal RV venues may have prohibitions against model flying and other potentially "dangerous" activities. Bring along hand tools, adhesives, and accessory items that may be needed.
Oct 08, 2017, 04:37 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
WJH's Avatar
Arenít slope soaring people as territorial as surfers?
Oct 08, 2017, 04:55 PM
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
Model flyers are often fearful of losing an unauthorized flying place due to an incident caused by a visiting flyer.
Oct 08, 2017, 04:59 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Been doing it since we bought our first camper, in 1988 (a 21' mini-motor home). Back then, my wife's 2 meter powered glider and my 36" acrobat stayed in the overhead sleeper. Met a lot of folks and flew at quite a few R/C fields, from NJ to Nebraska (and Germany).

Now, we take a few if the UMX and Tower micros with us (my preference was an Ember, but they're no longer easy to get). The Ember (or a Vapour) are great for flying within a campground, circling around under the trees and shooting touch & goes off picnic tables. It's a bit tricky to fly, but the tiny Inum is also good for tiny areas. You just have to be careful with the thing getting warped in the box!

CD
Beautiful planes!!! It looks like I'm on the right track taking advantage of the UMX air craft with the "electronic inertia" that the AS3X affords us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
The guys you meet and the planes are pretty cool too..... Check out the slope soaring threads at RCG.....
In the end it's the fellowship as much as the hobby isn't it?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log R/C Paramotor Carts - Introduction and How-To ksmason42 RC Paragliders and Kites 86 Apr 01, 2018 08:54 AM
Discussion If you must quit R/C .. How do you do that ? khaled_abobakr Life, The Universe, and Politics 86 Aug 21, 2017 05:03 PM
Help! How many R/C signals can fly together at once? SBright33 Radios 26 Apr 30, 2017 06:11 AM
Question How to set up R/C receiver with paparazzi? Redrow UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Nov 26, 2009 08:03 AM
UGHHHH! Why do people demonstrate how to be careless with an R/C heli???!!! docprego Micro Helis 25 Oct 21, 2005 11:46 PM