Oct 08, 2017, 04:20 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Discussion

Proteus - slope soarer & powered wing - 3d print

Proteus : can be make as a slope soarer &/or powered wing
I found this design by spinorkit on Thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2086413
- Heaps of build info both on this page and in the main archive
- Base design is Sloper but a few extra "mixes" available, including a motor pod add-in
- The plane design is actually a "programmed" model
- OpenSCAD has been use to both craft the raw design and to create each printable section
- Once you learn the language you could craft your own versions; Different sizes, sweep, length, spars, covers etc
- I crafted one with a longer nose and opened the internal space more.
- Using Fusion360 I manually merged a motor mount into the rear section. (original here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1699707)
- Also added an opening to pass the motor wires through the fuselage

My build to date;
- Using my new Creality CR-10 (great printer)
- Using Cura as my slicer
- used eSun (red) & Hobbyking (green) PLA filament
- a couple of post print failures including
--- having too much support material that I could get out without breaking something
--- wing tips were too fragile, needed more support and/or printed with a different orientation
- approx 30 hours total of printing with maybe 5 hrs left
- weight for all printed bits will be ~0.580 (0.518 so far with all the main bits)

Lessons learnt so far;
- Think hard on orientation, its a balance between minimising / eliminating support material & ensuring "print-direction-strength"
- Avoid support material going inside small holes like spar tubes & servo tunnel, super difficult to remove
- Long tapered super thin trailing edges may not be fully printed ... look at you slicers representation
- Rafts take a little extra time & material to print, but ensures the chance of a print breaking free of the bed is zero
- Extending the nose didn't seem to extend the hatch (checking with Author on how to modify hatch in OpenSCAD code)

More to come ....
I will also post my long nose & motor mount STL files a bit later

jokeane also mentions his build here;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=11
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 09:57 AM
600gram with just radio & battery to add.
Assembled well. glued the fuselage together with a rubber like glue. The rest is simply slid onto carbon rod (2mm & 5mm) with fibreglass tape to hold.
Aileron hinged with the same.
Servos fitted perfect.
Re-did the servo guards at 80% scale because they seemed too big for the wing profile.

... now just need a good westerly to go maiden
Yesterday, 05:54 AM
Flying .... it was !
Printed 2 replacement pieces, will be back in the air soon

Proteus slope soarer maiden (1 min 59 sec)