Yellow Jacket Build Log for TALES Competitions - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2017, 12:01 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Build Log

Yellow Jacket Build Log for TALES Competitions

Here is a build log for a Sonoran Laser Art “Yellow Jacket” 2m for TALES competitions by Corky Miller also known as CloudSniffer here on RCGroups..

You may be saying to yourself TALES, he meant ALES. Nope, I really meant TALES! This is a new preliminary AMA format that the great folks up in the Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking Society put together which is a mish-mash of ALES and F3K (DLG) tasks. I am very intrigued by this format. Here are a few links of the rules and a video that explains it nicely. I believe it will catch on so I am building a competition legal model that will put me in the winners circle!

TALES Proposed Rules: (see section 5 for the tasks)
http://gdshs.org/tales-event-rules.htm

TALES Contest Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...H0&app=desktop

I first heard of Corky when he released a D-tube sheeted wing balsa version of Dr Mark Drela’s Allegro Lite for electrics that he called the “Tarantula Hawk”. Google that Hawk if you are unaware of what that bird, hmm, well not really bird but…well Google it. Yikes!
This is a Rudder, Elevator, Spoiler (RES) model with a small electric motor in the nose. He has a straight glider version and an electric version. The reviews of both are excellent.

Then he came out with a carbon spar and leading edge open structure wing that is a bit lighter in the tips called the “Yellow Jacket” with a similar platform and airfoils and I was sold!

I received the kit, immediately opened it up like a kid on Christmas morning and removed the well packaged pieces. I have not built a wood kit in many years and this is really amazing. Checkout the closeup photo of the laser cut ribs. Also a nice touch of engraving my Name and AMA number in the center panel wing sheeting! As you can see this is well thought out. The computer time it must take to accomplish something like this astonishing. It appears the parts will just fall right into place. Most importantly the model will build true and accurate.

Here are the other items I purchased to complete the model.

Motor Turnigy SK3-2826-980KV BL Outrunner from HobbyKing
Prop 9x5 and 9x6 by Aeronaut from Esprit Tech
Spinner 30x3x8 also from Esprit Tech
ESC Castle Creations Talon 15
Servos Hitec HS65HB Karbonites
Aerobtec Altis v4+ Limiter
Battery 3S

I think I will use an 800mah to start but maybe a 500 mah. I will need to obtain 3 launches to 100m in a 12 or 14 minute task window for TALES tasks. I can determine that once I get her flying. The first flight may not be till Spring as Montana’s winter is quickly approaching.

Oh, did I mention that after flying models since the late 1970's that this will be my first model with a spoiler! In TALES there is no precision landing task, just like in F3K so the spoiler should be more than suitable.

So I will get started and post my progress here. Please feel free to offer any suggestions/comments etc.

Curtis
Montana
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 03:29 PM
Looking forward to details on the Yellow Jacket build, I like the diversity of the varying tasks and challenges for the Tales competition, it sounds very engaging. It seems like the quality of kit and performance is world class, nice to see the innovation both with the competition format as well as the sailplane design.
Oct 07, 2017, 03:43 PM
A contest class that uses reasonable cost components, a real wood glider, a chance for most fliers to be competitive, and sounds like it could be fun! This is like a shot in the arm to the glider hobby. Time to make some balsa dust yeehaw! Warms an old builders heart.
Oct 07, 2017, 05:17 PM
Glider Guider
Where is the kit available Cutis
Oct 07, 2017, 05:45 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Sensoar and a1jrocket I totally agree.
I also think that the high dollar models will show up which will aid new innovation but also a beginner can be very competitive with an inexpensive model as this is. I think some folks seeing the high dollar models at contests make them feel uncertain as to whether even bother beginning the Soaring journey.

Curtis
Oct 07, 2017, 05:47 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytsanford
Where is the kit available Cutis
Send a PM to CloudSniffer here at RCGroups for ordering details.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2M-Competition
Oct 08, 2017, 11:10 AM
Looking forward to seeing your build. I just received a Yellow Jacket kit yesterday. It'll be my first sailplane kit in about 5 years. While I don't plan on flying any competitions, who knows, this ALES/Tales stuff looks like fun!
Oct 08, 2017, 01:33 PM
Red Merle ALES VI

Fuselage

The pod is self aligning so it's easy to do.
Before I did anything I checked that my servos would fit the tray and they do perfectly. I went ahead and drilled some pilot holes as it's easier to do know. Then I ran a little thin CA into those holes. The servo tray is now ready. I also test fit the motor. Oops, it doesn't fit! Ha ha, well I ordered a front drive and not rear drive. I went back to see about a rear drive and I can't find a one. Hmm. Oh well so I carefully removed the tiny C-clip and two set screws and pulled the outer case off the motor. Then I had to press the shaft to the other side using the drill press. Don't turn the drill press on just use it to carefully push the shaft out. Then I put the C-clip on, well after finding it as I lost it on the floor. Figures. Then I tightened the set screws up and she should be good to go. I also found a small washer on the table and guessed where it went. Hope I'm right. I'm sure I'll forget about all this come spring when I fly her. Corky already has holes in the firewall for the SK3 motor, make sure you put this in the correct way due to the bolt pattern or the motor won't mount to the correct side. The text on the firewall goes to the rear.
If anyone has the part number for the rear mount please post it here or send it to me and I'll put it up on post #1.

I laminated the plywood sides to the balsa sides. Make sure you make a left and right. The plywood goes inside. I cut five inches off the forward part of the boom. I wrapped some painters tape around the cut area first. I used the bandsaw but a razor saw works just fine. It will dull the blade quicker than most anything else you'll cut in your hobby shop. Gotta like the carbon fiber. Then I dry fit the F3 and F4 formers with their balsa beef up plates. Slide F4 on from the rear of the boom. It took maybe a lap or two around the inside of the plywood F4 former to get it to slide far enough forward. That's better than being too large! The rest of the parts fit perfectly. Then I dry fit it all together and held F1 and F2 together with some small rubber bands. I carefully fit the servo tray, don't forget the servo tray as it's not mentioned on my plan sheet. Then I inserted formers F3 and F4. I checked alignment but the only way it can be off is if you purposefully twist the pod. Get the glue out and glue away.

That'll be all for today. It think it took longer to write this than actually accomplish the work.
Curtis
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Oct 08, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
Oct 08, 2017, 02:14 PM
Sonoran Laser Art

Links to Electric Components

Below are links to components I use and know they work well. I did flip the cut file for the motor mount after just seeing your note so any kits going forward will have the F1 towards the front. Everything cut prior to now then will face the back. Hope its not too confusing. Thank you Curtis

Electric Components
This should be everything you need except the heat shrink

Motor, notice the mounting holes in the rear:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-motor-1.html

Electric Speed Controller 18A

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ontroller.html

Batteries

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

Bullet Connectors

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/3-5mm-3-...pairs-bag.html

Connector Pin Set

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-male...10pcs-set.html

Motor Mounting Bolts

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/metal-so...10pcs-set.html

I am using this spinner and yoke from Esprit Model, Kind of pricey but I like it works well

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx

Folding Spinner Size Diameter Shaft
Folding Turbo 30/3/8 w/Yoke 30mm 3mm

Prop also from Esprite

Aeronaut 9 x 6 16,000
Oct 08, 2017, 09:47 PM
Tailspin
The club had it's final contest of the year today (it was a DLG) and we had a side TALES meeting during lunch of the TALES flyers to go over some of the rules changes for 2018. I will be working the verbiage and some diagrams for the field boundaries and hope to get the rules out yet this month so everyone can plan for next years calendar.

The changes will not change the meat of the rules but some of the nits needed ironed out and further detailed. The big change will involve the above mentioned field boundaries and some of the penalties but other than that, not much.

Stay tuned
Oct 08, 2017, 11:17 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
Motor, notice the mounting holes in the rear:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-motor-1.html

A whopping US$ 18.88 for the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 motor. After shelling out US$ 269.00 each for Powerline 1025 motors, I'm thinking there may be something to this TALES thing.

It will be interesting to see what the total cost will be, from the ground up through RTF.

Curtis, will the YellowJacket be ready for a test flight before the tundra freezes solid for the winter up here?

--
Greg
Oct 09, 2017, 09:14 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
A whopping US$ 18.88 for the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 motor. After shelling out US$ 269.00 each for Powerline 1025 motors, I'm thinking there may be something to this TALES thing.

It will be interesting to see what the total cost will be, from the ground up through RTF.

Curtis, will the YellowJacket be ready for a test flight before the tundra freezes solid for the winter up here?

--
Greg
Do the math. The kit is $179 I believe. Doubtful for a winter functional test flight (FCF) but you never know. Will the snow settle in starting in November or early February? Hmm, I need to get the snow blower I bought from the previous owner out and tested. I'm enjoying the build and taking my time. Still working on getting the house settled, shelves, vanity, painting, blinds etc....

Curtis
Oct 11, 2017, 06:36 PM
Also getting my snowblower out to service it and tune it up. Ya know an RC controlled snowblower with FPV and you could set in your shop with a hot cup of coffee, well maybe a dream! Got an old 2 meter M&M glider tech grand illusion kit seems like it’s got TALES written all over it with some redesign thrown at it.
Oct 17, 2017, 03:41 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
I've gotten a bit of work done the last week after being busy for awhile.

I glued the fuselage halves together that you can see back in Post #8. I was supposed to build this over the plywood bottom but just used the flat table top. That was not an issue as the plywood floor fit perfectly. I not only like the design but also the laser cutting made this a non-issue.

The next thing was to cut a supplied block of balsa and fill in around the aft formers by the tailboom. Remember the tailboom you cut off, well if you didn't throw it away wrap some sandpaper around this and you can get it to match the boom a bit. Not really necessary as I can't imagine these pieces are structural. However, as you'll soon see you'll be able to sand a nice round aft end that tapers nicely to the boom.

Curtis
Oct 17, 2017, 03:43 PM
Red Merle ALES VI

Tails

This takes about 5 minutes. It'll take much longer to sand them to shape. However, it's a very neat way to make a tail. Sand the trailing edge of the fixed portion till you see the laser burn marks disappear and you're done! Sand the leading edge using the supplied templates. The airfoil will be very accurate. Nice idea Corky!

Curtis