What Was I Thinking? The What Not To Do Thread - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2017, 09:32 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Discussion

What Was I Thinking? The What Not To Do Thread

I was reading a post somewhere that the new rc pilot was having trouble getting his plane to fly correctly. One helpful person asked the most common question was the cg correct? The answer was it was 'only "ABOUT 2 INCHES" off the plans location '....I think it had a 30 inch wing span. As most seasoned pilots know just a 1/4 of an inch can make a big difference sometimes.

Anyways, that's the reason I wanted to start this thread was so
A: new builders and pilots can learn from the mistakes we've made....and the old ones can laugh at them with the "been there done that" knowledge.
B: They can keep their planes in the air and fingers on their hands longer....That last part sounds like a joke, but it's for real, props spin at enough speed to slice and dice.
C: Less mistakes, less money spent repairing....Something alot of us don't have.

I've only been building and flying for about 4 years now and have made numerous mistakes over that time, don't even want to think about what the seasoned pilots with many years have done.

Okay, let's see, my first mistake was my first plane, a P 51 mustang....NOT a beginner plane, lasted three attempts before frustration put it in the trash. Luckily, I didn't totally give up and have been enjoying this hobby ever since people here have helped me correct my past, current and future mistakes.

My first edf plane....an A-10 Warthog. Was showing the wife how powerful the fans blow by pointing the outlet at her a full throttle....not only was THAT stupid but I didn't realize how much the intake sucks in air and my loose shirt got sucked into one of them, one motor, fan blade, and a pretty good shirt destroyed....Luckily no injuries occurred.

When working on a plane, always disconnect the battery. Bumped the throttle once and the plane went off the table, fortunaly away from me, but into one of my planes on the wall. Loss one prop and part of a wing on that one.

And that's just some of them, I'll post more as they come to me later.
Last edited by Timbo383; Oct 07, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 09:33 AM
Slot reserved for something special
Oct 07, 2017, 10:56 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
It's not "win" or "fail"..... it's "win" or "learn" !
Oct 07, 2017, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
It's not "win" or "fail"..... it's "win" or "learn" !
You got it, you still win if you learn from your failures.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:36 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
How about this one, double check your servo directions before attempting to maiden!

And,...

Be patient and wait for a near wind-less or calm day to maiden
Oct 07, 2017, 05:18 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
To follow up with Blacky's Boy's post, don't forget to check out throws when you change out radios! I had to reverse on the original radio and forgot to do it on the second. Three different people checked my airplane; none noticed the ailerons were reversed.
Oct 07, 2017, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
To follow up with Blacky's Boy's post, don't forget to check out throws when you change out radios! I had to reverse on the original radio and forgot to do it on the second. Three different people checked my airplane; none noticed the ailerons were reversed.
Similar incidence when a friend's son was playing with my transmitter with dip switches. I thought he was just playing with the sticks and didn't notice he had reversed the elevator setting on a hand toss plane. His dad was yelling "what did you do" at him when he looked at the pieces of plane on the ground. I just told him I was flying a different plane and forgot to change the settings myself, laughed it off and just said I'll fix it easy later....boy, was I mad at that kid.
Oct 07, 2017, 08:27 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
what's frustrating about that was i went through a rebuild and thought i had the airplane even better built than the first time. i have it ready to go now, just need to get out and try again.
Oct 07, 2017, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
what's frustrating about that was i went through a rebuild and thought i had the airplane even better built than the first time. i have it ready to go now, just need to get out and try again.
Third times the charm.....Don't forget to check the throws first.
Oct 08, 2017, 02:50 PM
Allways the hard way!
How about selecting the right model memory.... don't wanna talk about it any more.. just check! Take my word for it!!
Oct 10, 2017, 11:06 AM
Gravity is my enemy
This was on a copter, but it MAY be the same effect with any gyro/safe electronic self leveling gadget: I plugged in the battery with the nose pointed in the air because it was easier to reach the battery tray... I think you can guess the rest of the story. Ok, for those not familiar, when powered on the gyro assumes a level state. So once airborne it does everything in its power to maintain that attitude. Standing a distance behind it on launch, we had to duck and run.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit
This was on a copter, but it MAY be the same effect with any gyro/safe electronic self leveling gadget: I plugged in the battery with the nose pointed in the air because it was easier to reach the battery tray... I think you can guess the rest of the story. Ok, for those not familiar, when powered on the gyro assumes a level state. So once airborne it does everything in its power to maintain that attitude. Standing a distance behind it on launch, we had to duck and run.
Is it still in one piece?
Oct 12, 2017, 09:38 PM
My pinky finger carries a scare from top to bottom where I got about ten thousand cuts in a row as I pulled away from a prop that I knew I should have removed. All I needed to do was reverse the elevator. I didn't want to take the time to take it off for a two minute adjustment. But I reversed the wrong channel and zoom. The throttle went from zero to full. Cut me to the bone across the entire top of my finger. Don't mean to gross anyone out. Just giving a picture of want really not to do!
Oct 13, 2017, 02:03 AM
Left my receiver's antenna flailing in the slipstream.
Was fine for many hours of flight time. Of course, one day it worked its way loose and fell out - obviously, total loss of response - plane landed in a cornfield and the only way I was able to find it was because the motor was still running at the throttle setting I had last (about half) and I just followed the sound. The plane had a badly rumpled nose. It was a mid-Mount prop in slot so the motor/prop was undamaged.
I always tape down antennas now...
Oct 13, 2017, 06:53 AM
Thanks for just painting the picture and not posting it psychedvike. Hmm....is that the real reason they call them prop BLADES?

Ok, here's one I did in my beginning years. Don't maiden a plane near trees. One of my first scratchbuilds I had too much right thrust and the fuse and v-stab was crooked. It turn right just fine, left not so good. When I relized what was happening and where it was going it was too late. Fortunately I'm not afraid of heights, so fifteen minutes and some scratches later I got the plane down.