How do you install hardware after covering is finished? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 07, 2017, 10:26 AM
Question

How do you install hardware after covering is finished?

Hi, I need help answering a question. I just finished building a Sig 1/6 scale piper j3 cub. It was my first balsa build, and I need help with everything involving covering it! Iíve searched the internet and found a couple of videos on covering an airplane but now Iím stuck! How do you install the pushrods connected to the control horns without wrecking my new ultracote?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 11:48 AM
Sig instruction manuals are typically very clear about order of assembly. What does it say?

If you have flexible pushrods (i.e.; metal or nylon running inside of a nylon sleeve), and you did not preinstall the sleeves, there is probably not much you can do but cut away some covering, and patch it back.

If you have solid pushrods (i.e.; bass/balsa/ cf "sticks" with piano wire ends, you should be able to sneak them down the inside of the fuselage and fish them through the exit holes. A bit of a pain, requiring patience and trial and error, but it can be done.
Oct 08, 2017, 02:51 PM
I do have all of the internal pushrods inside like the push rod from the servo to the 90 degree bellcrank. But how do I install the push rod from the bellcrank to the control horn that is on the outside of the covering?
Oct 09, 2017, 04:02 AM
a Picture of your problem will help to give a answer :-)
Oct 09, 2017, 10:54 PM
I donít have any covering on yet, just hypothetically when it is on. But hereís a pic.
Iím talking about the push rod from the bellcrank to the control horn on the exterior of the wing.
If I take the push rod out and then put the covering on, Iíll have to cut into the covering to put it back in. But if I leave it in that will just be rrally a pain to put the covering around it. So how do I cover that area? Put a balsa sheeting over it with a hole for the push rod to go through and adhere the covering to the balsa around it?
Oct 10, 2017, 08:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
You need to build a removable hatch over the bell crank.

This is the best pic that I have.
Oct 11, 2017, 01:20 PM
Here’s what I’m thinking. I’ll take the push rod from the bellcrank to the control horn out then put a removable piece of balsa sheeting over the area where the rod was and I’ll put a hole where the rod needs to go through then I’ll put the covering over the wing. Once that’s done I’ll take the balsa sheet off and put the rod back on the bellcrank and put it through the hole in it and then attach the other end to the control horn. Will that work?
Last edited by Luke Rondeau; Oct 11, 2017 at 01:27 PM.
Oct 14, 2017, 05:16 AM
Luke, look at Toms picture. You need to have something for the covering to attach to. Just pokeing a hole thru the covering will eventually tear. Build a box around your control rod exit , that you can attach your covering to. You already have two sides you can use, just finish boxing around the push rod exit and you will then be able to cover over that area. Then once covered, cut out the opening so you can attach the control rod. You could get fancier and put a removable hatch over it to ....Gene
Oct 14, 2017, 08:03 AM
ARFs Are Me
Here is a pic of a hatch, taken from the inside. It may provide some insight in how to build and mount it.
Oct 14, 2017, 12:16 PM
Ok thank you so much. I’ll try that and send a pic once it’s done. Thanks for your help!
Oct 14, 2017, 12:52 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Eventually, you will have to access that bellcrank. A removable hatch is really the only practical way to do so. To give a nice finished look, you may want to consider using some pushrod exits like this:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD860&P=7
Oct 14, 2017, 01:14 PM
Good idea maybe I’ll get some.
Oct 14, 2017, 02:03 PM
I have access to a 3D printer. Do you think that if I designed some of the push rod exits and printed them, would that work?
Oct 14, 2017, 04:35 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
I don't see why not.
Oct 14, 2017, 08:38 PM
Cool, I've modeled one in Autodesk Inventor. Here it is.