52-Inch A-7 Corsair II - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2017, 12:40 AM
Registered Airplane Offender
Build Log

52-Inch A-7 Corsair II

After a lengthy hiatus I have launched myself back into scratchuilding airplanes today! Cut the fuselage for a 52-inch long Vought A-7 Corsair II. Not sure if it's gonna be an E or B model.

Basically, the build so far has consisted of building a box out of 1-inch blue foam and carving/belt sanding the heck out of it until I wind up with a properly contoured Corsair fuselage.

All I've done at this point is the primary sanding with the big belt sander. I have to run back over it with the orbital sander and also carve/sand the cockpit/intake area very carefully. My only patterns are a 3 view I got off the internet. Everything else (in terms of cross section) is pretty much guesswork.

My SLUF will be powered by 2 park 480 outrunners in the inboard trailing edges of the wings turning a pair of big 10-inch slow fly props (trying to keep the prop noise down).

Ideally I'd keep the prop noise down as much as possible and install a jet engine sound system to cover the prop noise. I'm in the mood to splurge.

So if you like, please follow along! My local club is having a fun fly on October 28th and I aim to bring this thing to the party.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 12:45 AM
And because the nose cones down into such a point, I have to make it a solid block of foam. I have MUCH sanding left to do :/
Oct 08, 2017, 01:09 AM
Took a lot of carving and sanding with the belt sander and I still have fine sanding to do (and some foam filling) but at least now I can see the face of the Corsair. I'm getting excited.

And I think I've found my canopy from Parkflyer plastics.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=343
Oct 08, 2017, 06:30 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Certainly looks Corsair-like. Nice work.

J
Oct 08, 2017, 11:30 AM
I tried to model the A7 in cad and it was a 'PITA'.

Looks like you nailed the shape 'free hand' !

Looks great !
Oct 09, 2017, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Certainly looks Corsair-like. Nice work.

J
Thank you!

If Crxmanpat and I ever had the chance to Alpha Strike with you that would be a supreme honor!
Oct 09, 2017, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
I tried to model the A7 in cad and it was a 'PITA'.

Looks like you nailed the shape 'free hand' !

Looks great !
I just grabbed the sander and sanded away until I thought it looked right. I'm a quick and dirty kind of builder.

Got that foam filling done around the nose tonight as well as some major work done on the wings! Got the main part of the wing cut and joined with plywood anhedral spar. It's exciting to see approximately what and how big she's gonna look when finished!
Oct 09, 2017, 01:45 AM
BTW- here is a graphic showing how I plan to approach the pusher-prop propulsion arrangement on this model. I want to end up using 10-inch slow-fly props. This is to keep the noise as low as possible and hopefully allow a sound system to be heard giving an actual jet engine sound.

And a pic of my late Vickers Valiant pusher jet which utilized the same motors/ESCs I plan to transplant into this Corsair.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:33 PM
EB-66C Team Member
That system works well on pusher jets. I've done a few that way too, F-4 and Mig-21 with the motors in the wing tanks. They both flew great.
I like that Vickers.

J
Oct 09, 2017, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
That system works well on pusher jets. I've done a few that way too, F-4 and Mig-21 with the motors in the wing tanks. They both flew great.
I like that Vickers.

J
I like the performance I get from these twin pushers. Just blows EDFs away for me. Especially since I like to stick to 3-4S power.

Got more fine sanding done as well as skinning the wings and attaching the horizontal tail. I better hurry up and order the landing gear and decals!
Oct 10, 2017, 08:46 AM
its TALON TIME!
looking good man!
Oct 10, 2017, 08:47 AM
its TALON TIME!
aww...edfs arnt all that bad I totally get what your saying though. I did a lot of pushersback in the day, and its hard to beat the performance/flight timer per $$
Oct 11, 2017, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
looking good man!
Thanks Nut!

There was one thing nagging me about the shape of the forward fuselage which I took care of real quick tonight. As you can see.
Oct 12, 2017, 10:29 PM
The canopy (and backup) arrived from Parkflyer Plastics today. I'm really excited about how close it comes to matching the actual A-7 canopy.

The only small disappointment is that by the time I cut it to the proper shape it is a tad smaller than a scale canopy but I'd rather have a bit too small than wrong shape.

I like the way the canopy bulges forward. The way I had the foam sanded kinda bugged me. It seemed right according to the 3-view printout but in reality it gave me a "Training version canopy" feeling. This one just seems to have the right SHAPE for the single-seat A-7 canopy. So I'll shrug off the size and proceed with installing it.

I have masked the inside of the canopy with masking tape for photographing purposes. To make it easier to see in pictures.
Oct 12, 2017, 10:30 PM
One more thing- elevators and ailerons are cut and hinged and servos 'dry' fitted. I cut separate elevators rather than the 'flying tail' for simplicity. So sue me.