When it rains, it pours......towplanes - RC Groups
Oct 06, 2017, 12:27 AM
Tom H.
Discussion

When it rains, it pours......towplanes

Well, it's been a year since I lost my Pegasus towplane due to a radio failure. Since the Pegasus is no longer available, I set my sights on a Bidule 170 for a replacement. I attempted to pull the trigger, but there were no Bidules available as the manufacturer was incorporating some of the upgrades that were suggested by earlier Bidule owners.

Meanwhile, Dick B. decided to clear out his plane collection and I stopped by to purchase his Horus, I asked about his Valiant towplane. Within seconds, we struck a deal and the Valiant was mine. The Valiant is a very nice flying plane, but it's a bit smaller than my old Pegasus. While breaking in Dick's engine, I did most of the flying. With a 40cc RCGF engine, it seemed a bit under-powered and this was proven when I flew the Valiant's first aero-tow by pulling up Lee's Carbon Dragon (?). The tow lasted more than 8 minutes, compared to the Pegasus pulling the same plane to altitude in less than 2 minutes.

I decided to replace the RCGF 40cc with a DLE 60cc and I also incorporated the recent FrSky Redundant Bus controller with dual receivers instead of the SmartFly Power Panel that I used in my Pegasus . The plane's rework has been moving along slowly but surely.

As fate would have it, I got an email last Friday that my new Bidule had arrived at the distributor's facility. It was supposed to arrive in Salt Lake tomorrow, but instead; it arrived at the beginning of this week! It's huge. It's new engine is almost twice the displacement of my old Pegasus, so it can pull a 100lb half-scale or a teeny 2-meter

I'm going to transfer my custom hydraulic brakes that survived the Pegasus crash over to my new Bidule. The Pegasus' wheels are slightly smaller than the nose wheel on the Bidule (see the picture below). Check out the size of the Bidule's nose gear.

By spring I should have both towplanes ready for aero-towing. Yippee. Now I just need to finish my LS-4 and SBXC with an aero-tow release.

P.S. Is anyone interested in an RCGF 40cc twin with a real Walbro carb OR a factory serviced Desert Aircraft DA-100cc twin (new crankshaft, new hub, new pistons, new backplate, new bearings, new reeds, new Walbro carburetor).

Tom
Last edited by stylusboy1; Oct 12, 2017 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2017, 11:02 AM
So what is the projected weight of the Bidule?
Oct 06, 2017, 03:59 PM
Tom H.
The Bidule 170 can weigh anywhere between 45 - 53 lbs.

The first Bidules were usually nose heavy and often required up to a pound of lead in the tail to balance out. The broad weight range has a lot to do with the selection of equipment and added features.

I expect that my Bidule will probably be around 12 lbs heavier than my Pegasus.

I intend to use my hydraulic brakes from my Pegasus, add a nosewheel servo saving bellcrank that I'm going to shave as much useless weight as possible, not sure on the gas tank configuration just yet, and I want to use MTM cannisters on the exhaust so that it'll be as quiet as my Pegasus.

BTW, my Valiant should be close to 20 lbs.

Tom
Oct 06, 2017, 09:19 PM
Tom,
That is getting pretty close to the 55 lb limit. I am sure it is a record for IMSF aircraft. Sounds like a brute...

Scott
Oct 07, 2017, 10:42 AM
Soar Tow 2
Is this a full scale?

Mike
Oct 07, 2017, 10:53 AM
Tom H.
It's starting to look that way.......

It's barely smaller than a Cri-Cri

Are you going to make it to the ALES today. We've got people who will launch for ya.

Tom
Oct 07, 2017, 10:49 PM
Great, kid! Don't get Cocky!
Wow, what a beast Tom. Looking forward to seeing this bird next year. Maybe I'll finally have my ASW20 together. LOL

Solo
Oct 09, 2017, 11:40 AM
Wow Tom !
that should pull the Orlik 1:3 scale up pretty good. It should come in just under 20 lbs. Now I better get building.
Dan
Oct 10, 2017, 02:33 PM
Tom H.
Dan,

Either my Valiant or Bidule will tow the Orlik with ease. Get 'er done.

Tom
Oct 16, 2017, 04:39 PM
you can pick up another Pegasus to add to the collection.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-DA100-engine
Oct 16, 2017, 06:11 PM
Tom H.
I think that two towplanes are enough
Last edited by stylusboy1; Oct 17, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Oct 17, 2017, 04:59 PM
Soar Tow 2
Loren that tow plane is calling your name.

Mike
Oct 17, 2017, 05:16 PM
It's got your name on it already Mike! you wouldn't have to change a thing.

Quick Reply