Oct 05, 2017, 08:17 PM
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Thread OP
Discussion

Tower Hobbies Coupon Codes

Maybe if the frequent buyers of Tower Hobbies complain loud enough they will listen. The coupon codes for the Super Saver Club have become poor at best.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 09:12 PM
I don't think they are awful. They had a tough time last year. I do miss the gold coupons and most of all the coupon at the $150 level. A hundred dollar gap between 100 and 200 is pretty broad.
Oct 05, 2017, 09:20 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2collector
Maybe if the frequent buyers of Tower Hobbies complain loud enough they will listen. The coupon codes for the Super Saver Club have become poor at best.
15% off plus some good exclusive deals poor?
Don't think so.
Oct 05, 2017, 10:46 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Unrelated, but I just found out that Traxxas severed their business relationship with Tower. That is one of the biggest RC manufacture if not the biggest!
Oct 06, 2017, 09:08 AM
-insert witty saying here-
http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news...ness/820731749

Hobbico is being sued by Traxxas for patent infringement on some of the features of the ARRMA brand vehicles (which is owned by Hobbico)

https://www.scribd.com/document/3200...nded-Complaint
Oct 06, 2017, 09:40 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Thanks!
Where have l been? I slept thru all this. lol....
Oct 06, 2017, 09:50 PM
PLP
PLP
Last edited by PLP; Apr 15, 2018 at 06:35 AM.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:07 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP
Just as soon they get rid of all the coupon BS, post a price that they can live with and give members a break on shipping! Really tired of all the coupon BS... currently have a 3 month old purchase where I was charged full price for the items shipped and the entire coupon discount tied to a back-ordered item which I'm still waiting on 3 months later.

Wanted to purchase one of their Axial 4x4 vehicles until I noticed that within the description it says "Coupon discount not allowed by manufacturer for this product" leaving the price at manufacturer suggested retail... checked Axial Racing website turns out its a sub of Hobbico.

Over the last year I've noticed that or seems like a majority of the items they post for sale is on Back Order or due in months later.

Have also noticed that on price checking at other places that their prices are quite a bit higher than most others quite a bit on some items Tamiya paints are nearly 75% higher, basically eliminating any coupon advantage that you might be getting.

Guess you can say that it is interesting playing their coupon game though!

Phil
Got a link for Tamiya paint for that much cheaper?
Oct 06, 2017, 10:11 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
before I started to fly UMX planes from HH, I was a car/truck and boat guy. For 15 years I would not look at anywhere else but Towerhobbies. I didn't even mind the coupon games they played, in fact I took advantage of them and also the 3 payments scheme.
I recently ordered a Tower Millenium Master plane and all was good, but I didn't pay any attention to any telltale signs of trouble. I was recommending a Traxxas product and noticed it says "Not Carried", first I thought the product was discontinued and passed the wrong info here in another thread and got lambasted, lol...
So I called Traxxas and was told they no longer allow Tower to do business with them.
Then I called Tower and politely asked what is going to happen with all the yet-to-be-sold items and the lady was very coy with me, she wouldn't admit at first that Tower no longer carries Traxxas.
All this was a rude awakening for me as I thought Tower is the unsinkable Titanic of the RC hobby.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:16 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
before I started to fly UMX planes from HH, I was a car/truck and boat guy. For 15 years I would not look at anywhere else but Towerhobbies. I didn't even mind the coupon games they played, in fact I took advantage of them and also the 3 payments scheme.
I recently ordered a Tower Millenium Master plane and all was good, but I didn't pay any attention to any telltale signs of trouble. I was recommending a Traxxas product and noticed it says "Not Carried", first I thought the product was discontinued and passed the wrong info here in another thread and got lambasted, lol...
So I called Traxxas and was told they no longer allow Tower to do business with them.
Then I called Tower and politely asked what is going to happen with all the yet-to-be-sold items and the lady was very coy with me, she wouldn't admit at first that Tower no longer carries Traxxas.
All this was a rude awakening for me as I thought Tower is the unsinkable Titanic of the RC hobby.
It's a scummy move for Traxxas. They're suing them over a shock mounting technique, which they didn't create, but patented for use on an R/C vehicle. It's nothing but a suit to try to push competitors out of business. All it's going to do is hurt the hobby as a whole.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:25 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
It's a scummy move for Traxxas. They're suing them over a shock mounting technique, which they didn't create, but patented for use on an R/C vehicle. It's nothing but a suit to try to push competitors out of business. All it's going to do is hurt the hobby as a whole.
Yeah, I didn't read the entire article too carefully but one of the things was the mounting of shocks it seems. As I recall the Vaterra Twin Hammer carried by Horizon Hobby also had a unique horizontally mounted shock system and they were in trouble with Traxxas too. i bought an earlier V1 RTR and there was a BIG disclaimer from Vaterra about their product.
We think these are toy manufacturers but it's just like the Auto Industry. Chevy got sued by Beretta years ago for using that name on a two door coupe.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:31 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't read the entire article too carefully but one of the things was the mounting of shocks it seems. As I recall the Vaterra Twin Hammer carried by Horizon Hobby also had a unique horizontally mounted shock system and they were in trouble with Traxxas too. i bought an earlier V1 RTR and there was a BIG disclaimer from Vaterra about their product.
We think these are toy manufacturers but it's just like the Auto Industry. Chevy got sued by Beretta years ago for using that name on a two door coupe.
Yeah, but auto manufacturers have massive legal departments to handle things like this. For smaller companies the process of litigation can run them out of business. I'm not saying anyone sued is necessarily small (not a clue on what they actually bring in every year), but I'd assume they're not massive by American corporation standards. If this hits Hobbico hard, it not only effects cars and trucks, but can have a significant influence on the market as a whole. It's easy to think of Traxxas as just another manufacturer, but they're massive. They sell trucks to folks that wouldn't normally be considered a hobbyist. Their market is huge. Hobbico survives off of more conventional hobbyists, and could hurt a lot of small hobby shops by going out of business.

I doubt any of this would happen, but it's still a dirty move by Traxxas regardless of patent law.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:41 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Yeah, but auto manufacturers have massive legal departments to handle things like this. For smaller companies the process of litigation can run them out of business. I'm not saying anyone sued is necessarily small (not a clue on what they actually bring in every year), but I'd assume they're not massive by American corporation standards. If this hits Hobbico hard, it not only effects cars and trucks, but can have a significant influence on the market as a whole. It's easy to think of Traxxas as just another manufacturer, but they're massive. They sell trucks to folks that wouldn't normally be considered a hobbyist. Their market is huge. Hobbico survives off of more conventional hobbyists, and could hurt a lot of small hobby shops by going out of business.

I doubt any of this would happen, but it's still a dirty move by Traxxas regardless of patent law.
Agreed! I hope all ends well for Hobbico. You are right that it could have a significant impact on us hobbyists. I saw my local Pepboys Auto Parts was selling some Traxxas stadium trucks and the price was outrageous.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:45 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Agreed! I hope all ends well for Hobbico. You are right that it could have a significant impact on us hobbyists. I saw my local Pepboys Auto Parts was selling some Traxxas stadium trucks and the price was outrageous.
It's nuts. Yet, people buy Slashes like they're nothing. For what they cost, you're not getting much, but that's any RTR today.

Oh well, we'll just have to watch it play out. Maybe stock up on some balsa and CA.
Oct 06, 2017, 11:00 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
It's nuts. Yet, people buy Slashes like they're nothing. For what they cost, you're not getting much, but that's any RTR today.

Oh well, we'll just have to watch it play out. Maybe stock up on some balsa and CA.

Good advice.
I am just glad that when I first started I didn't get sucked into all that RTR jazz, did get some kits from Team Assocaited and Losi though.

Quick Reply