My new project - Phonix D.I by Laddie Mikulasko - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2017, 05:19 PM
Build Log

My new project - Phonix D.I by Laddie Mikulasko

After finishing my Tabloid, I started to plan, which model will next. All my models are from RAF or from France, so I wanted some airplane from other side of front. And because I like unusual airplanes, I have decided build Phonix D.I. It is Austria-Hungary airplane, on which several pilots of Czech origin also flew-and it was next reason for build.
Original model is powered by fuel motor, I will change it to electro. I began to build in the February and I thought that the maiden will in the summer, but due to my workload the construction goes very slowly.
I build tail as first. I changed a construction a little bit to save weight. Horizontal stabiliser have not ribs from full balsa, but it have construction ribs. Rudder is not from balsa sheet, but it is laminated from balsa strips.
Last edited by mkope; Oct 06, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 05:26 PM
After tail finishing, I started by fuselage build. Fuselage sidevals are from balsa sheets, reinforced by ply. All of this is complemented by balsa spars.
The construction went well until it was necessary to bend the front of the fuselage into the arc...
Oct 05, 2017, 05:41 PM
After a great deal of effort, I managed to bend the sides as needed. But after removing the brackets and clips, I found that the fusselage is cracked. So the fuselage "went" to rubbish and I started again. I create support from ply (I call it half-pipe ), I dipped fuselage balsa sides to the water for half a hour and I bend it in my support. I glued ply rainforcing and spars after balsa drying. Result was nicely bended fuselage sides.
Last edited by mkope; Oct 05, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 05:55 PM
Build of fuselage from pre-prepared sides was easy. After fuselage finishing and covering by balsa I started work on the engine cover. It is laminated from glass cloth. So I sanded mold from styrofoam, which I separated by adhesive tape and wax after filling
Last edited by mkope; Oct 05, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 06:07 PM
Meanwhile engine cover has dried, I glued tail to the fusselage and I covered tail by Litespan. I soldered cabane and epoxided it to the fuselage. And I made some cockpit details too.
Oct 05, 2017, 06:19 PM
First fuselage completation with typical Phoenix camouflage. I camouflaged it by stain and acrylic colours. In the next step I will paint engine cover, I try create Hiero engine and I will it complete together. And then I'm finally going to build the wings...
Oct 06, 2017, 01:22 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
You sure picked an odd one. Looks great!
Oct 06, 2017, 01:30 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
I think I see a faint resemblance to the Albatross DVa.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:50 AM

"Fake" motor added

Time for hobby is low, but I prepared "fake" Hiero motor. Valves are created from the office paper tape, some plastic tubes, pieces of balsa and ply plus springs from old ballpens are used for details. Motor is painted by Revell colours.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:02 AM
Mumbling in the corner.
Very nice!
Nov 07, 2017, 09:55 AM
I agree. Very nice.
Nov 12, 2017, 07:16 AM
Thank for compliments guys. I adde some details - tail struts from the aluminium tubes, leather cockpit combings, and I mounted the landing gear too. So I think, that fuselage is completed and now I will start upper wing.

Cockpit combings is from strip of leather, which is roll up and in next step it is glued along cockpit. I added head rest from leather and from piece of soft material.
Nov 12, 2017, 07:18 AM

Fuselage is finished

Finished fuselage. Only wheels are missing.