Check in - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by jbourke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2017, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Discussion

Check in

I haven't stopped by much since I sold my interest in RCGroups.com, etc, but I thought I'd check in to share a bit.

I'm still settling back into the groove of things here in Oregon after a long period on the road (37 days!). Most recently I was at the International Aerobatic Club's US Nationals, where I competed in the Four Minute Freestyle, taking second place. Here is a video:

IAC US Nationals 2017 Four Minute Free (3 min 58 sec)

It's very cool to see that Extreme Flight RC is releasing an Extra model with my color scheme. I wish I could do R/C-like tricks in a "full scale" plane. Maybe someday...

Selling my web properties was not an easy decision but I know that Jim Graham and the rest of the crew are up to the challenge. Moving on from my work here has allowed me to put more time into my "full scale" flying career, which I'm very interested in. This year I was very proud to represent my nation at the World Aerobatic Championships as part of the USA Unlimited Aerobatic Team. I can't put into words what an honor that is. The champs was held in Malelane, South Africa. I enjoyed the trip even though I got very sick with some kind of horrid Africa virus. I've been back in the US for a few weeks now and am still coughing. Ugh.

I've also found some time to work on some projects I've wanted to put time into for awhile. One of them is "motionCrop" which is a little piece of software I wrote for stabilizing videos of aircraft. Here is an original video of a practice flight, followed by a video that has been put through motionCrop.

Original video:
WAC 2017 - Free Unknown 3 Flight (7 min 42 sec)

Processed video:
MotionCrop test - WAC 2017 Free Unknown 3 (7 min 43 sec)

I'll release motionCrop at some point soon after I have some more time to work out some kinks.

The other news I'm excited about is we've just announced the release of RealFlight 8. This is a new version built on RealFlight 7.5 but with VR support and other added features. After Knife Edge Software released RF-X we heard from many of you who did not want to invest in a gaming machine, so this release is for you! The VR support is absolutely game-changing. You will never want to go back to the old way of flying an R/C sim.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 11:12 AM
frank and beans....
Absolutely breathe-taking!

I can only imagine your life right now more closely that of a younger version of yourself....

So when are you going to start instructing the next generation of pilots? Oh, and where???

Nietzsche
Oct 09, 2017, 08:56 PM
Well done Jim... Congrats !
Oct 10, 2017, 08:59 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Congrats Jim! One of these days if we are ever able to cross paths when we are home in Oregon, I'd be very grateful if my son could see you fly. He got the airplane bug! Happy landings!
Oct 14, 2017, 12:28 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Spectacular aerobatic performance, Jim B.! Makes my stomach turn to know that you're sitting inside that tumbling Extra.

I'm still sad that RCG is now out of your hands and owned by an amorphous corporate entity. However, I'm delighted to hear it's allowed you to focus more intensely on your full-scale passion, as planned.

The stabilizing effect of motionCrop is impressive. Seems like there would be a business opportunity not just for tracking airplanes from the ground, but for shots taken from the air as well, e.g. news drones that may be too small to carry a sophisticated stabilizing gimbal.

Glad to hear about the RF8 update as well. Most people who get into RC and full-scale aviation are in it for the real-life flying, rather than a gaming experience. So it makes sense that you continue to serve both demographics.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:24 AM
I now need to pick up a VR headset. Dang! Congrats on life Jim...looks and sounds amazing.
Oct 17, 2017, 01:29 AM
RC Player
This is a great video! What a "Magic Hand & Strong Body!"
Oct 17, 2017, 05:17 PM

Best To you, Jim

I remember back at a KRC event in '96 or so, sitting with you and discussing The Hall's Springfield Bulldog Racer, the AMA Hall of Fame, Electric flight's future and other ways to show the world that anything can fly electric.
Congratulations on your accomplishments past and future

DG
Oct 18, 2017, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife
I remember back at a KRC event in '96 or so, sitting with you and discussing The Hall's Springfield Bulldog Racer, the AMA Hall of Fame, Electric flight's future and other ways to show the world that anything can fly electric.
Congratulations on your accomplishments past and future
Dave good to hear from you. I was just thinking of you and your Mystery Ship the other day. It was a very special time for the hobby.

Jim
Oct 19, 2017, 02:00 AM
Nice job and nice flying.

I like your transitions from tumbles to flat spins to axial rolls.

I'm sure your experience w/ RC will help expand what you and your plane are capable of.

Enjoy the good life.

Cheers.

Bob