UMX Aero Commander BNF Basic with AS3X - RC Groups

UMX Aero Commander BNF Basic with AS3X

The E-flite UMX Aero Commander is a twin engine icon with brushless power, aerobatic maneuverability and the always handy AS3X technology. Now you can fly like Bob Hoover!

Splash

It was my privilege to eat lunch next to famous full scale pilot Bob Hoover at Oshkosh a few years ago. Bob is no longer with us but now you can fly the plane he made famous! The E-flite UMX Aero Commander brings the twin-engine icon to life with bountiful brushless power, aerobatic capabilities and exclusive AS3X technology for an overall flight experience that feels rock-solid enough to double your ultra-micro fun.

Despite the dramatic wing planform and tall vertical fin, this twin-motor model comes out of the box fully assembled so you can get into the air quickly. The lightweight airframe boasts a carbon-fiber reinforced wing for added durability and performance. Careful attention to the scale outline highlights a detail list that includes panel lines and a vivid three-color trim scheme. The powerful twin-motor power system features a pair of brushless out runners and three-blade props to deliver that exciting multi-engine sound. The removable wire landing gear includes a steerable nose wheel for outstanding ground handling. Independent linear servos provide the accuracy and performance to enjoy sport aerobatics such as point rolls and big loops with precision while AS3X technology delivers the ultimate in control, even if it's a bit windy.

E-flite UMX Aero Commander BNF Basic with AS3X (2 min 45 sec)

Specs

• CG (Center of Gravity): 15-20mm from leading edge
  • Completion Level: Bind-N-Fly Basic
  • Control Throw - High (Ailerons): 7mm up/down
  • Control Throw - High (Elevator): 10mm up/down
  • Control Throw - High (Rudder): 16mm left/right
  • Control Throw - Low (Ailerons): 4mm up/down
  • Control Throw - Low (Elevator): 6mm up/down
  • Control Throw - Low (Rudder): 10mm left/right
  • Flaps: No
  • Flying Weight: 5.1-5.6 oz (145-160grams)
  • Length: 20.15" (512mm)
  • Material: Foam
  • Minimum Required Radio: 4-Channel
  • Motor Size: 180BL 3000KV
  • Recommended Motor Battery: 450-800 2S 7.4v
  • Retracts: No
  • Servos: 4
  • Wing Loading: 93.1 sq in (6 sq dm)
  • Wingspan: 28.15" (715mm)

The Full Scale with Bob Hoover

I had to share the video of Mr. Bob Hoover doing his thing....

Bob Hoover Shrike Aero Commander in Denver, 1986 (9 min 27 sec)

More Info

Learn More

Head over to Horizon to learn more about this twin engine bird.

Oct 05, 2017, 12:25 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Pre-ordered!

GET SOME!!!!
Oct 05, 2017, 12:28 PM
Wow! Finally, a UMX bl twin prop-job! And an Aero Commander, no less! Looks like she has some SERIOUS GRUNT, along with some SERIOUS aerobatic chops!

Wonder who will be the first to do Bob's energy-management routine with it? Had the honor of watching the master himself, and meeting him afterward. Best stick-and-rudder pilot in the history of aviation, and an amazingly humble guy!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 05, 2017 at 12:44 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 12:49 PM
WOW! Very nice. Looks like a fantastic performer. I bet it will sell well.

Hubert
Oct 05, 2017, 12:54 PM
Wandering IT geek
...if only micro retracts... Very much miss Bob R.A. Hoover doing his energy management show each year at the Reno Air Races. Thanks for bringing his Commander to life Horizon!
Oct 05, 2017, 01:26 PM
DFS#000178
Preordered. Wow. I can't believe I just preordered a UMX plane...
Oct 05, 2017, 02:18 PM
killickb
Have had three UMX models and never again, just too small for everyday flying and don't mix with the larger models at our field.
BUT, if they ever came out with a 60" electric version in that same color scheme, I am in !
Oct 05, 2017, 02:29 PM
I like the idea of a twin brushless but from a looks perspective this one looks really boring. So many cooler twins out there...
Oct 05, 2017, 03:02 PM
I've watched Chris and the guys flying the prototypes. It's anything BUT boring!

Andy
Oct 05, 2017, 03:04 PM
Subscribed!
Oct 05, 2017, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I've watched Chris and the guys flying the prototypes. It's anything BUT boring!

Andy
I agree with you....Got a question about manual......says has safe ...also for wing type 1 ail 1 flap......plane has no flaps.......looks like umx Timber manual ....Is this the set up or not.
Oct 05, 2017, 03:30 PM
That's something you'll have to ask Puckett, not me.

Andy
Oct 05, 2017, 03:34 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
I agree with you....Got a question about manual......says has safe ...also for wing type 1 ail 1 flap......plane has no flaps.......looks like umx Timber manual ....Is this the set up or not.
No SAFE,
Just the AS3X
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLU5850-Manual-EN.pdf
Oct 05, 2017, 03:39 PM
Fond of Foam
I already pre-ordered. I learned my lesson by not pre-ordering the UMX Timber....I was lucky to get one after it came out.

Thanks to Chris P. For making such a cool plane and making it a twin BRUSHLESS!

First the UMX Timber and now this.....now that's being on a roll!

It looks awesome!
Oct 05, 2017, 03:40 PM
Horizon Hobby Development
There is no SAFE or Flaps on the Aero Commander. I just double checked the manual online. The wing type is a misprint but not one that will cause any problems. The wing type can either be set up as Normal or 1 aileron 1 Flap and the function will be the same.