What causes random boom strike? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 05, 2017, 07:56 AM
rc user
Discussion

What causes random boom strike?

this is video from Brazil, not much info to go on, translates to something like Align DFC poor mechanics. not sure if that means design flaw or problem with his specific setup.
Anyway, I thought is was an interesting video but a bit disturbing how the failure occurred when the heli didn't seem any more stressed than usual.

Big Crach Trex 700 LDominator Boom Strike Slow Motion FULLHD, By: Magdiel Neto (5 min 19 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 02:45 PM
Easy, the blade was on backwards.

Or, linkage failure.

One frame looks like severe lag from that blade. Hard to tell if it lagged first, or the grip failure came first.
Oct 05, 2017, 02:45 PM
Zippy Puffer
I was wondering if it was going to happen when the heli was in ground effect, but it was quite high up. Good camera work, but it would need more frames per second to see what happened. I would guess the blade/s failed first, causing the boom strike. They were definitely delaminated afterwards.....
Oct 05, 2017, 07:25 PM
rc user
Going by his DFC comment I'm wondering if a link popped off and sent the blade into the boom.
does need more frames to get a better idea.
Oct 06, 2017, 06:21 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
They were definitely delaminated afterwards.....
Yeah but what would you expect after the blade hit the boom? I'd have thought either it was setup with too much pitch or the DFC link came off. The blades were on the correct way round before the strike but after the strike one of the blades/grips flips round. So the link off at that point, but if that occurred before or after the strike is hard to say.
Oct 06, 2017, 02:42 PM
Zippy Puffer
I went on to watch more similar videos on Youtube after that one. I have to say that flying 700's at such high HS just seems like a great way to wear out all the moving parts, and all of the helis, Goblins, Logos and Trex's seem to be at the limit mechanically. Not for me, I'm happy with my 600 at HS1900, less wear, less noise, and I certainly don't have the skills and reaction time for all that noisy tumbling stuff they do....
Oct 06, 2017, 02:58 PM
rc user
I'm with you 2D.
I find myself looking at the 700L and 700X, then talking myself out of it.
The 600ESP is flying so well I shouldn't get greedy.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:08 AM
One frame it looks fine, next frame both blades are in the boom. I'd guess linkage failure.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:28 AM
rc user
just noticed, strange looking and kind of sad how the tail blades were still spinning even after completely disconnected from the tail boom.