beautiful!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2017, 03:56 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
That sigh when it finally popped

Well Done.
Oct 21, 2017, 05:19 AM
Slow builder
Stubborn little bugger. Very nice though.

Al
Oct 21, 2017, 04:09 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Thanks for your positive comments guys. I appreciate your interest.

The control surfaces were cut off yesterday and silicon hinges made. I'll see how that turns out later when it warms up a bit. Wipers will then be fitted.

The skins for the fuz will get cut out and hopefully layed up today.
Oct 24, 2017, 06:36 PM
DS glider p0rn (must close eyes!)
Oct 25, 2017, 07:44 PM
Building with TLAR precision
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcher
Thanks for your positive comments guys. I appreciate your interest.

The control surfaces were cut off yesterday and silicon hinges made. I'll see how that turns out later when it warms up a bit. Wipers will then be fitted.

The skins for the fuz will get cut out and hopefully layed up today.
What's the consensus on live hinges vs silicone? I imagine that since this is a DS sloper that silicone is plenty strong for general use.

I made my first silicone hinges for a 2.2M scratch built, and they turned out pretty nice.

TIA.

-= Dave
Oct 26, 2017, 03:34 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
What's the consensus on live hinges vs silicone? I imagine that since this is a DS sloper that silicone is plenty strong for general use.

I made my first silicone hinges for a 2.2M scratch built, and they turned out pretty nice.

TIA.

-= Dave
I'm no expert on the subject Dave, the customer that this wing had originally been made for is a front side flier and likes silicon hinges so that's what I did. They turned out really well but were a bit fiddly,

The first wing came out at 400gms with wipers fitted. The customer does not want this wing as he is after a plain carbon finish, no spread tow or any other carbon type. So it is up for sale if someone wants it.

Two fuselages have been made and they both came out pretty good for my first attempt at this type of construction. The first fuz weighs 260gms and the second 150gms. So now I have an idea of the layup schedule for desired weights.
Last edited by guitarcher; Oct 26, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
Oct 26, 2017, 07:19 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Nice Job. That will be a very visible plane with some broad white stripes underneath.

I see you still mount the wing with a front pin into a vertical "former" in the fuse. I fly an original - much repaired - Mk1 with the laminex wing skins and really learnt to DS with it; so its really been through the wars. (As well as a few fences, trees and a sign post)'

After my first serious crash there was a fair amount of damage to the front mounting area and leading edge as the wing came forward on impact. So when I repaired it I angled the front former at about 45deg forward and extended the top of the wing to match. I got rid of the front peg and added a second 6mm nylon wing bolt at the front.

On subsequent "arrivals" the two nylon wing bolts can shear and let the wing release preventing most damage. Although I've repaired the wing and nosecone more often than I care to remember the wing root and mounting have always survived.
Last edited by batballs; Oct 27, 2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Add photo.
Oct 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
Nice work, have you a waiting list ?
Oct 29, 2017, 10:44 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs
Nice Job. That will be a very visible plane with some broad white stripes underneath.

I see you still mount the wing with a front pin into a vertical "former" in the fuse. I fly an original - much repaired - Mk1 with the laminex wing skins and really learnt to DS with it; so its really been through the wars. (As well as a few fences, trees and a sign post)'

After my first serious crash there was a fair amount of damage to the front mounting area and leading edge as the wing came forward on impact. So when I repaired it I angled the front former at about 45deg forward and extended the top of the wing to match. I got rid of the front peg and added a second 6mm nylon wing bolt at the front.

On subsequent "arrivals" the two nylon wing bolts can shear and let the wing release preventing most damage. Although I've repaired the wing and nosecone more often than I care to remember the wing root and mounting have always survived.
White stripes underneath is also my preferred visual reference.

I spoke with Kev last night re the wing securing method and he indicated that the front pin was only used in the early models before transitioning to 2 hold down bolts. I like your idea of nylon bolts that can shear off on impact.
Oct 29, 2017, 10:49 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Scott
Nice work, have you a waiting list ?
Hi Alexis. There is a list but there is only one person on it as yet. Anyone interested in having one (or more) built for them is welcome to PM me.
Dec 07, 2017, 04:16 PM
Recieved my Burner from Greg.....WOW.....great workmanship and beautiful finish.....looking forward to seeing it airborne .
Dec 08, 2017, 01:46 PM
Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by grab
recieved my burner from greg.....wow.....great workmanship and beautiful finish.....looking forward to seeing it airborne .
pictures please!! :d
Dec 08, 2017, 10:24 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
pictures please!! :d
Her you go