Windburner Mk3 back in production. - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2017, 04:21 AM
Living on the Dark Side.
Rave

Windburner Mk3 back in production.

G'day there fellow Slopers.

A couple of weeks ago on a frosty morning at Manilla Slope Fest I was having a cup of coffee and a yak with Kev when out of the blue he drops this bombshell..."How would you like to take over building the Windburner" Kev says.

It took a few moments for my brain to process this......."Wow,....Well, sure mate." I replied once I was capable of speech again.

And so after a few discussions and a trip to Kev's place on the Gold Coast I am now in possession of the Windburner Mk3 CNC machined corian wing molds and fuz mold.

I am truly honored to asked to produce these remarkable planks and thanks enormously to Kevin for his generosity.

"Windburner Mk3. 11th May 2014 Outright tailless world record. Flown by Bruce Tebo at 341mph at Weldon, USA."

The wing molds have now been triple waxed and are ready for laying up.

The first burner has already been sold and a Medium/Light build has been requested . This will be a naked carbon build, 100gsm double bias outer skin. The main and drag spar will be hotwired foam cores wrapped in carbon. (See pics).

There's not many pics yet so I've included a couple of my latest project a 48" twin fin hollow molded plank fresh out of the mold.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 08:42 AM
born again slope junkie
watching with interest
Oct 06, 2017, 01:14 AM
Building with TLAR precision
No tail? Wait, really? That works? With a standard PW51 -- plus fairy dust?

-= Dave
Oct 07, 2017, 04:47 AM
Rock Breaker
Greg
I was super stoked when I herd you were taking on the production of heavy and light windburner' s. It's to good a plane not to have new ones carving up the sky. We have the honour of keeping Kevi's fabulous work in the sky. Every new burner will be another smile on Kevi's face and the continuation of the burner legend.

Gaza
Oct 07, 2017, 05:49 AM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
No tail? Wait, really? That works? With a standard PW51 -- plus fairy dust?

-= Dave
Yes Dave the PW51 is a great airfoil provided that there's copious quantities of fairy dust,

I need a few days off work to get on with burner production.
Oct 14, 2017, 11:12 PM
Living on the Dark Side.

First burner wing layup.

The client for the first bumer has requested a medium/light build with a flying weight target of 900gms to 1Kg. It will be a bit of a guessing game to see where this one turns out.

100gsm double bias carbon outer skin.
150gsm uni carbon Dbox from leading edge back to and including the spar cap for strength.
150gsm uni carbon spar cap doubler
Cork cores leading edge and middle section.
Balsa 0.8mm elevon core.
200gsm uni carbon stiffener strips along the trailing edge.
50gsm glass inner skin aft from spar cap.

Yesterday was spent cutting and prepping all the materials and then the layup was done this morning.

It will be several days before the wing halves get joined together.
Oct 14, 2017, 11:50 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Looks nice, I hope all that prep pays off on the first one.
Oct 15, 2017, 08:43 AM
C'mon more Energy
Looks great.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:57 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Thanks for the encouragement Owen and Mick.

We finally had some rain yesterday and an hour or so after the second wing half was layed up we experienced a lengthy power outage so the all vacuum leaked out of the system. Hopefully it won't have caused any problems.
Oct 15, 2017, 08:29 PM
Rock Breaker
Bugger the power.
I'm thinking your a bit light.
What was your clothe weight?

My parts weights are
Wing 225-250g
Fuse 125/150g
Nose cone 10-30g
Elect lead 100-150g
AUW 460-580g. None have been under 500g most are around 550g finished
Oct 19, 2017, 10:23 PM
Living on the Dark Side.

Time to marry the 2 halves.

No worries Gaz, if it turns out too light then I'll keep it for myself to fly it at Rainbow Blow where the wind is mostly light.

The wing layups were debagged and cleaned up this morning ready for joining and then the foam cored spar/drag spar were wrapped in double bias carbon.

I've also experimented with a striffened leading edge/skin join made by joining 4 straws together then wrapping with 2 layers of carbon.

Everything was wet-out then secured in place with a thin bead of splooge. The 2 halves are now clamped together and stood up with the leading edge facing down.

Tomorrow morning all will revealed......guess what I'll be thinking about all night when I'm supposed to be sleeping???
Oct 20, 2017, 02:12 AM
Auzzie built planks
Everything there looks perfect I like the bleed dots also just the right amount of resin.
Latest blog entry: More colours
Oct 20, 2017, 03:52 AM
Rock Breaker
Looking good Greg.
I just popped a hollow fuse, balloon failed so join not the best, some crappy spots on the inside. Weight 204g and feels rock solid. I'll send you the layup later and what I got off Kevi for layup design.

Gaza
Oct 20, 2017, 05:07 PM
Living on the Dark Side.

First wing is out,

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck
Everything there looks perfect I like the bleed dots also just the right amount of resin.
Thanks for your appraisal and assistance. Its good when the plan comes together.

Thanks too Gaz. Fuz lay-up will be next on the agenda.

So after much anticipation the wing somewhat reluctantly parted company from the mold. The first side of the mold fell off no worries, the second half proved a little more challenging,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,wow, very happy with the result There are some small air traps between the outer veil cloth and the spread tow doublers despite my best efforts to avoid them, I still like the bling tho.: . Apart from that there are no pinholes in the surface, which is something that has plagued me in the past. I'll give the wing a polish and take some more pics.

Out of the mold the wing weighs 407gms. By the time it is trimmed and the wipers and silicon hinges are done I'm guessing it'll weigh around 420gms or so.

Here's a video separating the first wing from the mold.

Windburner Mk3 carbon hollow molded wing popping. (4 min 44 sec)
Oct 20, 2017, 05:17 PM
Auzzie built planks
You rippa
Latest blog entry: More colours