Feb 05, 2020, 03:15 PM
I typically got 10-15 frame losses per flight OUTDOORS with my A-10. Unfortunately I screwed up changing the battery connector and poofed my A-10 brick. Which was why I was using the AC brick. They look similar with I suppose different AS3X parameters? I turn that off with the PC interface before I use in scratch planes.

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2020, 09:35 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipendicular
I'm thinking it has something to do with the heat like I saw in this thread. The board was still very very warm even after getting wreckage back in my garage. I just picked up my 2nd AC and I plan to do the spoon mod and maybe some extra vents but I'm gonna be pissed if I lose another AC. I've never crashed any of my other UMX planes in front of my house.. I've had a few rough landings with the Cirrus but nothing like this.

So has anyone had a glitch after doing the spoon or vent mods?

Thanks
Ken
Yes, and I may have been the first to do the "spoon mod". No problem with flying the plane in colder weather, and with some throttle management, 8 - 10 minutes flights are the norm on an 850mAh 2S Lipo. However, I still encounter the "dippsey doodle" glitch, wherein the plane seems to get a spurious down elevator input, resulting in the plane quickly but briefly experiencing a rapid change in altitude, almost like running into a patch of lesser density air.

This does not happen with any of my other brushless powered micros, regardless of ambient flying temperatures. So, I have come to the conclusion that it is an inherent glitch in the particular run/lot of Aero Commanders from which my AC was produced. I have a complete spare, unmaidened AC on the shelf. Hope to fly it one of these days just for comparison purposes. For the moment, however, I continue to fly my AC #1 at "three mistakes high" altitude, keeping full throttle runs to a minimum, and still enjoying flying this amazing model.

FWIW

RD
Feb 17, 2020, 01:55 AM

Gym flying with fixed flaps

I flew a few yrs ago outside with landing gear removed for maximum speed. Now Iíd like to fly in the gym much slower. I made fixed non moveable flaps for the UMX Radian and this worked so well I will be doing the same for the AC.

I used cardboard and tape for the prototype flaps. After experimenting with fixed angles I will finalize by removing the temporary cardboard flaps and cutting the flaps into the wing. They will be hinged and be locked up for outdoor fast flying and locked down for inside slow flying.

Will be adding ďspoonĒ mod or similar for increased cooling insurance.

See my blog for more info and pics
Feb 17, 2020, 03:06 PM

Indoor test2/17/2020

After flying a Vapor and an UMX TImber I flew the AC. The flaps help but she is too fast for indoor test flying. I was using a 450 2S. I will continue to test outside for optimum flap angle.
Mar 01, 2020, 08:38 PM
Elfi Flyer

Latest scoop.....

Flew two good flights today, in cool weather (48 - 54F), with light & variable winds(4 - 6mph av.), each flight 10 minutes in duration. Still some power left, no wheres near SLVC. The scoop mod definitely helps, but it does snag the cut grass clippings as I fly the plane sans landing gear. The EZFlite 850mAh 2S Lipos continue to amaze, although I am aware that there are better packs out there. Still an occasional elevator glitch while flying, but fortunately it has not been severe. Certainly no total momentary loss of control as experienced prior to the scoop mod and when flying in warm weather. And, this twin can really haul a$$ when you want it to do so.

Nice plane, glad I have a complete spare on the shelf.

RD
Mar 03, 2020, 10:58 AM
Wow, I love this plane. Probably the easiest plane I have to land (next to the UMX Timber) and it just has zero bad habits. I took the rear scoop of my wrecked AC and put it over the front intake (spoon mod style), I also cut a vent into the nose for even more venting. So far so good. I've also kept my flights around 5-6 mins and when she comes in, its barely warm (maybe even cooler than my other UMX planes.

Compared to the UMX Mig 15 I just picked up, its almost relaxing to fly. So much power to get out of problems and shooting straight up is just a thrill. I hope I don't have a glitch and takes it out as I'm still nervous every time I take it flying.

I'm addicted to UMX planes right now.. I just found a UMX Habu S brand new (I'm hoping its not a website error) and am rebuilding an older UMX Habu that should be flying this week. Can't wait

Ken
Mar 03, 2020, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Wow, I love this plane. Probably the easiest plane I have to land (next to the UMX Timber) and it just has zero bad habits. I took the rear scoop of my wrecked AC and put it over the front intake (spoon mod style), I also cut a vent into the nose for even more venting. So far so good. I've also kept my flights around 5-6 mins and when she comes in, its barely warm (maybe even cooler than my other UMX planes.

Compared to the UMX Mig 15 I just picked up, its almost relaxing to fly. So much power to get out of problems and shooting straight up is just a thrill. I hope I don't have a glitch and takes it out as I'm still nervous every time I take it flying.

I'm addicted to UMX planes right now.. I just found a UMX Habu S brand new (I'm hoping its not a website error) and am rebuilding an older UMX Habu that should be flying this week. Can't wait

Ken
I love this plane too! I just flew it on Sunday and I fly it often in the winter where I am because I don't have to worry about overheating issues and it belly lands in the snow so well! I do have the elevator glitch in flight but it doesn't bother me. One problem I am having lately and maybe someone on here can help- I have a hell of a time binding and re-binding this model. It seems to be very bad in cold weather? I have fresh bats both in the plane and my radio, I try standing close, far, facing toward, facing away. This weekend I couldn;t get it to bind, put it away in the car which was warm from the sun. Later I attempted to re-bind inside my car (never usually do this) and it bound right away! I did a range test and flew for a nice 5 minute flight. One other time this winter I could not get it to bind after many attempts at the field with several batteries. Then, back in the house it bound right away. Any ideas?
Mar 03, 2020, 07:52 PM
hey spitfirejoe- i've experienced the same issue. when the temps drop below 20F or so, then it gets hard to bind. i've flown her in temps as low as 3F and was luckily able to get a bind, but it seems almost random in terms of binding the colder she gets. this same binding issue is especially bad with my UMX A-10. anything below about 30F or so and the A-10 has a hard time binding. however once either plane is bound, they seem to have no glitches or issues at all. does yours go straight into binding mode even though you have the radio on and transmitting? what radio are you using? sometimes, i've had success if i power cycle my radio (i'm running a Taranis X9D+ with multimodule), but it really seems random, so i'm not sure that if power cycling is actually helping or not.
-beanie
Mar 03, 2020, 10:06 PM
Quote:

Ken
Be curious what you think if the two different Habu. I had both and never like the one with Safe. Even with it off the plane never felt as nimble and quick as the original yellow one to me.
Mar 04, 2020, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
hey spitfirejoe- i've experienced the same issue. when the temps drop below 20F or so, then it gets hard to bind. i've flown her in temps as low as 3F and was luckily able to get a bind, but it seems almost random in terms of binding the colder she gets. this same binding issue is especially bad with my UMX A-10. anything below about 30F or so and the A-10 has a hard time binding. however once either plane is bound, they seem to have no glitches or issues at all. does yours go straight into binding mode even though you have the radio on and transmitting? what radio are you using? sometimes, i've had success if i power cycle my radio (i'm running a Taranis X9D+ with multimodule), but it really seems random, so i'm not sure that if power cycling is actually helping or not.
-beanie
Yes, in fact I think it is going into bind mode with the light flashing in the plane, just sometimes hard to see with bright snow, sun etc. But even then, I'll attempt to re-bind and it wont over and over and over-I once tried for 10-15 mins with 3 different batteries. My radio will show bind success but then no confirmation beeps from the plane, and no response. Other times it'll say 'bind failed'. I was powering on and off my radio, the plane, every combo. Like I said I'd pace around close, far looking at the plane, turned away from the plane. That was the day that I bring it into the house and bang-instant bind! Oh, I have a G3 dx6 btw. I fly many models on it and on the days when Ive had these issues I always flew other models right before and after. I always bring something else along with the aerocommander because at this point I expect to have trouble. My old p47 micro that has the most flights of any of my aircrft, I plug it the battery with radio on and beep beep bound instantly! Other models, like the umx cessna, give me a bit more trouble or a bit of a delay in binding but nothing like this aerocommander!
Mar 04, 2020, 07:44 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
Be curious what you think if the two different Habu. I had both and never like the one with Safe. Even with it off the plane never felt as nimble and quick as the original yellow one to me.
I love my little Habu S! It didn't come that way from the factory, though. Not knowing any better, I flew it for 2 years with a severely poorly balanced rotor blade. Crazy loud noise, mediocre thrust to weight ratio, yet it flew. Then I bought the UMX A-10 which had 1 of 2 rotors nearly perfectly balanced. Wow! what an eye opener; vacuum cleaner quiet and powerful air flow! So I bought 3 spare rotors for the Habu and found a smooth turning one. Now it flies at half throttle what is used to do at full Easily loops from level flight and climbs every bit at well as the A-10 (also with both rotors balanced/clocked). FWIW

Back on topic: Anyone looking to protect the foam of belly landers check out this tutorial on fiberglassing a Micro Habu. I followed Brian's work on my fuselage only, and years later still have a nice looking airplane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=230891
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Mar 04, 2020 at 07:50 AM.
Mar 04, 2020, 08:56 AM
spirfirejoe- i hear ya brother! i think our aerocommanders must be twins. i’ve experienced exactly the same thing. when i fly at dusk, i can easily see the rapid blinking on the AC Rx board, like it won’t recognize the prior bind and automatically jumps to bind mode. i thought i was crazy because i haven’t come across anyone else with the same issue. the same exact thing happens with my A-10. i feel like it is kinda like my Dynam birds with retracts... under 40degrees, its hit or miss if one or both the gears decide not to deploy. i’ve had more than my share of 1 gear landings��
-beanie
Mar 04, 2020, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
spirfirejoe- i hear ya brother! i think our aerocommanders must be twins. iíve experienced exactly the same thing. when i fly at dusk, i can easily see the rapid blinking on the AC Rx board, like it wonít recognize the prior bind and automatically jumps to bind mode. i thought i was crazy because i havenít come across anyone else with the same issue. the same exact thing happens with my A-10. i feel like it is kinda like my Dynam birds with retracts... under 40degrees, its hit or miss if one or both the gears decide not to deploy. iíve had more than my share of 1 gear landings��
-beanie
That's funny! But when they do bind the range test is perfect and I have perfect flights! So I'm going to just keep going with it. I guess all electronics can have flaws and also might crap out at any point over time, this plane is great though when it's working. I keep waiting for eflite to come out with a new twin umx using the same guts as this aero commander- I don't think I will buy a second aerocommander as I have done with some of my other favourite umx models. I'd happily replace this when it ever does crap out with a new umx mosquito, twin otter, dash-8 (guess I want a de-havilland plane?) really anything though - b-25, me-110, p-38. Could you imagine a p-38 this size with these same two motors, it would need d-day stripes on it for the crazy flying I'd do!!?!? The red belly/white top of this aerocommander is great for orientation when I go crazy fast high up and far away!
Mar 06, 2020, 01:11 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I fly the snot out of mine. 800mAh batteries and pretty much 100% wide open throttle. It's never even twitched unexpectedly. I also have an A-10, and I use the same batteries and fly it pretty much the same way.

In the interests of full disclosure, this is my second A-10, and it's a little beat up from a hard crash. But in both cases the cause was unquestionably pilot error. It's a little airplane that flies fast so you want to fly it big, but it turns in to a tiny silhouette pretty quick and then it only takes a moment's distraction to lose orientation (and since you're at WOT, the end comes fast. Handy tip - if you crash in the woods, take the TX with you and you can run the motors to find the wreckage).

I have quite a few of the 2S UMX airplanes, Pitts, Waco, F-27, P-51, P-47, Commander, Beast, Cub (the yellow one), and they all fly great with one exception - the P-51, which has an aileron servo that's glitchy.
Mar 06, 2020, 07:30 AM
Rocketsled666 thats great I would flyvthe sn. out of my AC glitches, however I have some higher rated connectors thsn the stock red JST connector,so once
that is soldered in to my A.C. hopefully my 'over hesting probilem,' will be solved on my Aero Commander, I picked up idea on another rcbuilder A.C. forum..

Quick Reply