Oct 09, 2019, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
FYI...

If you drop the 3600Kv UMX motor into planes that came with the 2300, 2500, or 3000Kv UMX motors - be sure to check the current or do a few run-ups on the ground to check for OCP - and prop accordingly. Also remember that nothing is free. Low-sag packs will be mandatory if you want to experience the full performance of the 3600Kv motor with one of the more-aggressive UMX props.

Joel

Found that out when I tried the 3600Kv motor in my Version 1 UMX Gee Bee.
Motor would shut down before reaching full throttle.
Didn't want to pay the price for a "version 2 brick", so went back to the 3000Kv motor.

This Aero Commander is plenty fast, so no reason to use 3600Kv motors.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 02:57 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Found that out when I tried the 3600Kv motor in my Version 1 UMX Gee Bee.
Motor would shut down before reaching full throttle.
Didn't want to pay the price for a "version 2 brick", so went back to the 3000Kv motor.

This Aero Commander is plenty fast, so no reason to use 3600Kv motors.
Some of the V1 Gee Bees with the 3A ESC hit OCP @ WOT in totally stock form on a regular UMX 2s pack. Mine was one of 'em. I remember doing some testing & figuring out that propping-down to the GWS 5030 solved the OCP issue with the original brick/ESC. I'm not surprised that it wouldn't handle the 3600Kv motor!

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Oct 17, 2019, 04:05 PM
UMX UPDATE. I have had the worst luck with first#1 UMX Aerocommander and now I can not believe I'm typing this but #2 UMX Aerocommander. I find this micro twin so very exciting to fly. I'm an early riser as it is so I can walk Dundee my Goldenretriever,and been getting up a bit earlier still in order to get a sunrise flight with my "late," yes late second UMX Aerocommander,which on it's 6th flight glitched going out of control just long enough to find the tallest tree in the confined space that I fly out of out front , where I might add I have very successfully flown ALL my UMX single motor micros ,WITH OUT A SINGLE GLITCH EVER, period.In closing I spoke with a Horizon representative this day and they will be get back to me. All I want to do is fly the great flying and handling Horizontal. Hobbies YMX Commander and have decided this as follows: in the event I find my self with UMX Aerocommander #3 it will be flown in a wide open space free of trees----
Oct 18, 2019, 01:23 PM
Thanks Horizon Hobbies,who's sending me another UMX Aerocommander. Will not fly in the vicinity of trees only wide open spaces . Attached is my first Aerocommander flown from an open lot.second picture my first and only UMX P-51 ,needless to tell you all how well it performs. Love my Horizon Hobby!😉
Oct 21, 2019, 08:11 PM
I am the guy who flies my UMX Aero Commander with lightweight but powerful 450mAh batteries. The timer is set to 6 minutes and it flies fine for 7 minutes.

Recently the weather produced low wind so Guess What I tried? Even lighter weight E-Flite 280mAh batteries and it flew for 4.5 minutes very fast, vertical and very slowly for landings.
Some of my 280mAh batteries are more than 4 years old (hundreds of flights) and cannot fly the Aero Commander. The 280mAh batteries that worked well were bought in 2017 and 2018 (Black Fridays) and have only flown other UMX airplanes for fifty to one hundred times.

The 280mAh batteries weigh 15 grams less than the 450mAh batteries. I do not know how much more the 800mAh batteries weigh that other people use.
Oct 21, 2019, 08:56 PM
Elfi Flyer

UMX Aero Commander glitches

As noted in earlier posts, I ran into severe "glitches" with my UMX AC #1when flying in 90+ degree weather, causing an almost total loss of control of the plane. In point of fact, the plane dorked in hard during one of these incidents. Never did that back in 11/2018 when I bought the plane, but it started to go nuts when hot weather arrived in 06/2019. I remain of the belief it is temperature related, exacerbated by less than perfect AS3X programming in the circuitry. I had to limit flights to 5 minutes during hot weather to avoid the dreaded "glitch". The "scoop mod" helped significantly, allowing for 10 - 12 minute flights with judicious throttle management, meaning don't fly the missile at WOT all the time! Yes, unlimited vertical's and screaming low passes are great for S&G's, but it does take a toll on the electronics. All this having been said, the "glitch" still remains to some degree, affecting elevator movement. In essence, the plane will do an "umpty-ump" for no apparent reason, thus I avoid the 5 foot off the ground speed runs. I am using an EZ Flite 850 2S Lipo that weighs in at 46 grams, and recently was obtaining 12 and 13 minute flights without LVC. I have UMX AC #2 as a spare, in the box, completely new. Hopefully, it will not have the "glitch" problem, but for sure, I'll do the scoop mod prior to putting the plane in service.

FWIW

RD
Oct 22, 2019, 06:19 AM
Way to much free time!
Consider repositioning the RX antenna directly out the side of the fuselage, as I previously shared. Since doing so my AC's elevator glitching has stopped happening. Hopefully yours would also.

Good call to add the air scoop. My AC has benefited from this too!

Fingers crossed that your new plane behaves for you.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
Consider repositioning the RX antenna directly out the side of the fuselage, as I previously shared. Since doing so my AC's elevator glitching has stopped happening. Hopefully yours would also.

Is the antenna the small copper wire coming off the board? I couldn't locate anything that looked like an antenna on my other birds.
Oct 22, 2019, 10:11 AM

Repositioning the RX Ant to exit out side the fuselage sides the fuse

sides
Quote:

We just received our Horizon Hobbies UMX Aerocommander a few minutes ago,while I was working on my scratch built UMX Enlarged 36" W.S. Comet Models Douglas A-26 Invader:which will probably be test flown next week. The build thread appears in the Electric War bird thread.Mr. Dundee looks a little laxed in this shot,but when I first retrieved my Horizon Hobby shipment off the front deck,he was ready to 'retrieve.'��
Last edited by fastruchard; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 10:14 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel
Is the antenna the small copper wire coming off the board? I couldn't locate anything that looked like an antenna on my other birds.
Yes, usually on umx bricks it's a red-enameled copper wire about 1.25" long.
Oct 22, 2019, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Yes, usually on umx bricks it's a red-enameled copper wire about 1.25" long.
Thanks. I re-positioned it and still have twitchy tail feather servos. Frustrating because I really enjoy this plane. Really nice size and performance.
Oct 26, 2019, 08:16 AM
This am took my Aero commander to a large paved lot ,plugged in the new stock E flite battery that I received yesterday in the mail,so I was working with a new and tested battery;as I was getting set up.to fly,some ole soul.man that smelled like a brewery showed up to verbally asdist with the preflight,too funny. Taxied it up to the active and slowly applied power,resulting in anice shallow climb out. I adjusted the control surfaces okay as the A.C. needed no trim.After a few circuits ,I decided ot was time to land.Made a nice approach to final and when I flared I ran out of elevator,so I will program a landing mode into my trusty SPEKTRUM GX8G-2
Oct 26, 2019, 08:28 AM
I took my UMX Aero Commander out this am to a nice no tree paved lot and hooked up the new stock Eflite 800mAh battery and taxied it out to the active,slowly advanced the twin motors and made a memorable nice shallow climb and made a few circuits,all good,then set up for the landing approach,(these Horizon Hobbies UMX Aero Commanders DO fly so well,)and set up to land ran out of elevator for the flair,non the less not a scratch. The
'sub trim,' adjustments I made for the elevators and ailerons were spot on. Just need to set up a landing mode ,giving more up elevator travel to the trusty SPEKTRUM DX8 G-2
Nov 13, 2019, 04:06 PM
Quote:

I tried re-positioning the antenna out the side as suggested and my glitch is still there. Can't say for sure if it's an improvement or not. It happens more often when I'm flying at full throttle. I would guess I get around 8 glitches in a 6 min flight.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:58 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jha073
I tried re-positioning the antenna out the side as suggested and my glitch is still there. Can't say for sure if it's an improvement or not. It happens more often when I'm flying at full throttle. I would guess I get around 8 glitches in a 6 min flight.
I also tried the suggested fix and mine still has the glitch as well. I think this has more to do with the gyro/board correcting itself.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup

Quick Reply