Aug 18, 2019, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know the watt output of the BL180 motor in the Aero Commander?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 07:59 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbaron
Does anyone know the watt output of the BL180 motor in the Aero Commander?
The power input to each motor is propped for less then 5 amps on 2-cells
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:19 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 09:31 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You can run the motor WOT on a fully charged battery for 1 minute and then recharge the battery to estimate the Amp draw (= mAh put back in * 60). Use 7.8V or so for the average voltage on a 2S for the first 1 minute of run time. Estimated Amps * 7.8V = Estimated Watts.

You know it's dependent on the prop, right?
Aug 19, 2019, 09:59 PM
I'd rather be flying!
And the ESC's OCP is set to ~5A, so that's a maximum of ~39W peak power on each side - which is a total of ~78W peak.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Aug 20, 2019, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys, Les
Sep 16, 2019, 06:33 AM
Hi UMX AERO COMMANDER flyers,well great news I was in the mood the out side temps were cooler, I unpacked the Aero Commander, bound it to my SPEKTRUM DMX G-2 ,went out front at dawn (temp 63) and put in a solid test flight,life is good!
Sep 16, 2019, 07:03 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastruchard
Hi UMX AERO COMMANDER flyers,well great news I was in the mood the out side temps were cooler, I unpacked the Aero Commander, bound it to my SPEKTRUM DMX G-2 ,went out front at dawn (temp 63) and put in a solid test flight,life is good!
Yes, they fly great in cooler weather, from my experience to date. Still manage good 10 - 13 minute flight times in 80+ weather via the scoop mod.

RD
Sep 17, 2019, 02:14 PM
Way to much free time!

FYI: flight glitching of brick no longer

FYI

Just sharing that I repositioned the antenna on the RX brick in my AC and that the in-flight glitching that occasionally occurred has gone away completely! Only been a handful of flights since the relocation, so more time is prudent to tell if the TX/RX link is truly more stable now. Fingers crossed that it is.

I simply drilled a small hole through the side of the foam fuselage next to the antenna on the circuit board brick, and routed the antenna wire straight out the side. About 4-5mm of the wire is protruding from the foam. I did the same small alternation to my UMX A-10 a few years ago and it has been completely reliable since.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Yes, they fly great in cooler weather, from my experience to date. Still manage good 10 - 13 minute flight times in 80+ weather via the scoop mod.

RD
All planes fly better in cooler weather....the air is denser.

I remember when I flew my UMX Timber off my driveway last year on a cool dusk evening, and really noticed how the plane just would not want to come down! It was like flying in cheese.

Cool dense air is why your car feels like it gained 30hp.
Sep 20, 2019, 12:59 AM
Yes cool dense air! Flew my UMX P-47 a couple days ago and the flight was memorable indeed. Fact of the matter is it was 100%better or so it seemed as compared to it's usral somewhat marginal flight envelope as a result of weight gain from a repair.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:17 AM
Well now for some more bad news,regarding my NEW UMX Aero commander,My third flight should of stopped at pre-flight,as I noticed a momentary lag on the right propeller.I noticed Because this is not the norm,none the less it did run up to full power seeming fine,so out the door I went. I sat it on the driveway ,checked controls and gave her full throttle,I noticed it was banking a bit in the quick climb that I use to get altitude,then it lost power or something,I immediately brought her around and set up for approach and landed. While walking back to my front porch I ran up the motors and then the right motor failed the prop quit spinning and smoke began to come out and the entire motor began to hang down from the motor mount apparently being melted from the heat and smoke. GEEEEZZZZZ I will have to call horizon later this morning.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:29 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Yes cool dense air! Flew my UMX P-47 a couple days ago and the flight was memorable indeed. Fact of the matter is it was 100%better or so it seemed as compared to it's usral somewhat marginal flight envelope as a result of weight gain from a repair.
My P-47 is the only UMX I own which I run on 3S batteries, for that exact reason (marginal performance). I wanted to keep the stock appearance, as the plane can be livened up quite a bit by a prop swap to a longer faster 2-blade, but who wants to see that
Sep 20, 2019, 09:48 AM

Performance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
My P-47 is the only UMX I own which I run on 3S batteries, for that exact reason (marginal performance). I wanted to keep the stock appearance, as the plane can be livened up quite a bit by a prop swap to a longer faster 2-blade, but who wants to see that
humm so a 3 S pack like the one I have pictured I presume. If I got you so far,then how about props,I have the EFlite EFLUP050275,that goes on the Beast,and there is the EF EFLUP575225 ,that goes on the Waco. Of course now we are talking weight gain and prop clearance,both of which would affect my style of flying R.O.G. and landing again on a hard surface,and with the mods,I would have to hand launch,which I like to avoid..so of course I want to go faster, however 😋
Sep 20, 2019, 10:04 AM

Back on to subject problem with Rt motor failure.

Quote:
Well now for some more bad news,regarding my NEW UMX Aero commander,My third flight should of stopped at pre-flight,as I noticed a momentary lag on the right propeller.I noticed Because this is not the norm,none the less it did run up to full power seeming fine,so out the door I went. I sat it on the driveway ,checked controls and gave her full throttle,I noticed it was banking a bit in the quick climb that I use to get altitude,then it lost power or something,I immediately brought her around and set up for approach and landed. While walking back to my front porch I ran up the motors and then the right motor failed the prop quit spinning and smoke began to come out and the entire motor began to hang down from the motor mount apparently being melted from the heat and smoke. GEEEEZZZZZ I will have to call horizon later this morning.
Well just got off phone with Horizon Service,(service is everything,) well I'm SO hooked on the high performance Micro twin thing that I just could not throw in the towel and we decided on a Rt motor replacement as well as ,gosh,a wing replacement to cover the melted motor mount ,which is an intregal part of the wing.So okay here we go again,I already was preparing to add a UMX Timber light set,so I'm going to disassemble my new Aerocommander any way. So ohh well this IS a hobby and this DOES give me something else to do.
Sep 20, 2019, 12:26 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
humm so a 3 S pack like the one I have pictured I presume. If I got you so far,then how about props,I have the EFlite EFLUP050275,that goes on the Beast,and there is the EF EFLUP575225 ,that goes on the Waco. Of course now we are talking weight gain and prop clearance,both of which would affect my style of flying R.O.G. and landing again on a hard surface,and with the mods,I would have to hand launch,which I like to avoid..so of course I want to go faster, however 😋
No, that's much too large of a battery. Mine are 180mAh 3S packs custom made by RCBABBEL, look him up here on RCG for his pricing & products. The plane itself is bone stock - I wanted to keep that 4-blader on there.

4 years ago, Jeez....

(4 min 3 sec)

Quick Reply