What? I fly mine for 10 min
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2019, 12:28 PM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
Doug!

Thank you for reporting your over-temperature protection occurrence with your AC. It happened to mine yesterday, Saturday, for the first and only time at my RC club flying field in mid 80's temperatures. It was toward the end of the second and last flight for it that day; after a short 2-3 minute cool down after the first flight. It was cruising nicely at 60-65% throttle when both motors simply quit. Control was retained and I landed it softly enough in the dry grass. No damage other than a few new scratches. When I reached the airplane there was still no ESC response. Battery capacity was measured at 43% remaining. About 30 minutes later, at home, I checked for ESC response and it had fully returned. Seems reasonable to me that my AC experienced an over temperature protection event. Following your lead, I installed an air scoop over the vent hole in the fuselage at the nose. Yes, a cut down plastic spoon!

I will report back if this change eliminates any further ESC shut downs.

Sincerely,
Curt
FYI. No further issues with my AC motors turning off in flight. The air scoop addition proved its worth, again, today with 2 flights in near 90F temperatures and variable winds 15-20 mph. No issues other than a bit of turbulence, naturally. Oh, and the gain changes I reported to my AC brick gyros are still preferred over the stock settings. I haven't a desire to adjust them any further.

Curt
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Jul 28, 2019 at 09:20 AM.
Jul 28, 2019, 02:02 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I've been flying the snot out of my Commander since I got it, new, when it came out. Always with an 800mAh 2S and generally high to WOT flight. It's never even glitched. I think this behavior is lot-dependent. Some parts are marginal and if you don't have those parts in your RX you don't have the issue. If you're worried, a high throttle (not WOT) run with the plane held in your hand ought to tell you if it's going to overheat. With only the airflow from the propwash, the ESC will have minimal cooling. If it shuts down, get yourself a spoon.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
+1 Agreed!!

People crashing and then blaming everything from Spektrum RXs to servos - all except their own dumb thumb.
Dumb thumb,...ohhh Mann I fly with my finger tips, we do not need a pissing match but you sure are asking for it. How about a meeting at High noon LOL
Aug 01, 2019, 01:12 PM
Well ordering my second UMX Aerocommander,Love this plane,and hopfully not one that's heat sensitive,in any event it will go with the suggested air scoop spoon modification just in case there is a heat problem,and to the couple critics I will buy an extra spoon or two for YOU to use ..
Aug 02, 2019, 12:47 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastruchard
Dumb thumb,...ohhh Mann I fly with my finger tips, we do not need a pissing match but you sure are asking for it. How about a meeting at High noon LOL
Letís do ití we may become best friends!! Who knows! LOL
I donít mean to be insulting with the dumb thumb comment - have seen many people immediately blame their model or radio even on an obvious orientation crash. You know where we fly. Come fly with us!
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Aug 04, 2019, 07:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
I've been flying the snot out of my Commander since I got it, new, when it came out. Always with an 800mAh 2S and generally high to WOT flight. It's never even glitched. I think this behavior is lot-dependent. Some parts are marginal and if you don't have those parts in your RX you don't have the issue. If you're worried, a high throttle (not WOT) run with the plane held in your hand ought to tell you if it's going to overheat. With only the airflow from the propwash, the ESC will have minimal cooling. If it shuts down, get yourself a spoon.
IMHO, absolutely spot on! "Quality Control" is a term that I understand is not "intrepretable" in Chinese. I have a second Aero Commander in inventory should the need arise. To date, the "scoop modification" continues to work quite well, not just for me but for the other UMX Aero Commander flyer we have in our club. Yes, I continue to use the 850mAh 2S Lipo EZ-flite batteries I obtained from HeadsUp RC. Unfortunately, this supplier is closing down, so I will have to look for an alternate source of 800+ mAh Lipo's. Flew my Aero Commander with the "scoop modification" this past week in 90+ weather without any problems. Luck of the draw! Great plane, really love it!

RD
Aug 05, 2019, 03:56 PM
HeHi Doug,just got my replacement Aero Commander,on a very positive note Horizon Hobbies is fast with shipping,considering today is Monday,and I just ordered it this past Friday Aug02,the Commander has hooked Me on multi electric flyers . I have a Come and Models A-26 Invader in two sizes the original with a WS of30" and a plane for one blown up 20% . I'm going to use the electronics that I harvested from My first A.C. When the FedX Man dropped off my replacement A.C.,I was in the middle of of covering my 60" WS Douglas Skymaster powered by 4 HURC 300 1900 kv Blue Wonders that I got from Heads Up Hobbies,who are in fortunately closing at the end of August,what a drag!! Well later I will un pack the new Aero Commander and perform a run in checking for that blastit glich My first one had (or so I say) ,We have a couple not so nice folks who accused Me of dumb thumbs for the loss of My first Commander.. Well before the first flight no matter what occures with the initial tests I WILL be adding your air scoop modification,it just makes sense! Well let Me thank You here and Now for sharing Your experiences with the over hearing condition ,surly exaserbated by the inherent twin problem of that No air being Forced over the RX. brick inside the fuselage. Was Glad to read every one is flying the wings off this relatively great micro twin design;which I'm adding a light set to, sold for the UMX Timber. I
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 05, 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Aug 05, 2019, 04:10 PM
Hi Doug,just got my replacement Aero Commander,on a very positive note Horizon Hobbies is fast with shipping,considering today is Monday,and I just ordered it this past Friday Aug02,the Commander hooked Me on twin electric flyers for sure,I have. Comet Models A-26 Invader in two sizes the original with a WS ofv30" and a plan for one blown up 20% in any event I'm going to use the electronics that I harvested from My first A.C. . So right now I'm in the middle of of covering my 60" WS Douglas Skymaster powered by 4 HURC 300 1900 kv Blue Wonders that I got from Heads Up Hobbies,who are in fortunately closing the end of August,what a drag!! Well later I will understand if pack the new Aero Commander and perform a run in checking for that blastit glich My first one had. Well before the first flight no matter what occures with the initial tests I WILL be adding the air scoop modification. Well let Me thank You here and Now for sharing Your experiences with the over heating condition ,surly exaserbated by the inherent twin problem of No air Forced over the RX. brick inside the fuselage. Glad vto read every one is flying the wings off this relatively great micro twin design;which I'm adding a light set sold for the UMX Timber.
Aug 05, 2019, 05:48 PM
I flew my Aero Commander again this morning when the outside temperature was cool. it occasionally has a glitch at full power, especially when diving and the motors have a very high RPM.

When diving, the airflow over the electronics must be very high for good cooling.
The glitch shows as tail-wagging (rudder) and porpoising (elevator) for only a moment but never affecting roll (ailerons).
Aug 05, 2019, 05:56 PM
I deleted a double post.
I have a new e-mail address so I had to register again.
I will try to get my avatar working again.
Last edited by Audioguru again; Aug 05, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Aug 06, 2019, 11:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru again
The glitch shows as tail-wagging (rudder) and porpoising (elevator) for only a moment but never affecting roll (ailerons).
I still get some elevator glitching, causing a sudden jump up or down from level flight, and it's only for a second or two. Unfortunately, it gives reason for no longer doing the WOT ground level passes up and down (no pun intended) the runway. Never had an engine shut down while cruising. Before the scoop mod, I was getting more serious loss of control glitches after 5 minutes of spirited flying. This finally led to a major dork-in, same as for another of our Aero Commander flyers. Both planes have been repaired, scoop mod added, and both are flying well, not withstanding an occasional "umpty ump" with mine.

RD
Aug 09, 2019, 09:58 PM
Really enjoyed all the comments,should not of went over the top on dumb thumbs but I'm getting old now been flying since s young man of 21 back in 1972 flying a Lou Andrews Trainer Master guided with then brand new SERIES 72 Kraft radio performing LOW inverted passes all after noon and not s glitch..So I was shocked with my Aero Commander glitching,just not at all used to this with ANY radio on 50 plus years of flying. I do concur that those out there that would cover thier "dumb thumbs," moves with lies of +I ain't got it and such ought to be ashamed. Well how about You I have a build project on the bench and an Aerocommander waiting to be un packed,set up and flown
Last edited by fastruchard; Aug 09, 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:43 PM
Well for some reason my replacement Aero Commander,having arrived Monday before last is still in box under opened. Horizon DID NOT offer any discounts on my replacement so I paid over 170.00 delivered and mind You worth ever penny for the fun and enjoyment it promises to deliver, however, the question remains ..( what action shall I take if it glitches when I bind it to my trusty SPEKTRUM DX-8G2 ;the gentleman that took My order for this replacement AC advised Me to notify H.H. ,So if it glitches ,I will take His advisement. To be continued. I
Aug 16, 2019, 11:17 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I flew the crap out of mine today with 800mAh batteries, averaged 10 minutes of reasonably spirited flight. I was intending to fly until the LVC but it was pretty windy and I was worried I'd have a long walk if I ran out of juice in the wrong place. Did some really high speed dives with sharp pull outs at the end, and was pleased to see my wing didn't pull off. A little extra scotch tape was all it took.

Quick Reply