Jul 14, 2019, 08:01 AM
I had the most fortunate mid air failure this morning. The plane started to behave a little odd so I cut throttle and the glide was fine. As soon as I cracked on the throttle the wing and fuse separated. It instantly flipped inverted, the wing acted as a parachute because all the wires were still connected and it literally floated down inverted and landed damage free in the grass. it was kind of surreal watching it slowly parachute down. While itís apart, time to add a lighting system.

It was only the 3rd flight and not even spirited.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 09:47 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
With all due respect, "Horse Hockey"! Both I and one other UMX Aero Commander flyer in our club (York County Flyers, Inc.) have had "catastrophic" glitch problems directly related - IMHO - to over heating problems with the UMX Aero Commander. I am of the belief this is a rather random problem with an otherwise super UMX model. I am also of the belief that should a particular issue of this model have a "compromised" brick, that a larger size battery might exacerbate the problem. Both of us YCF'ers fly our Aero Commanders on the EZFlite 850 2S Lipo, a great battery, but large enough to possibly encroach or minimize some of the cooling air being directed to the circuitry. Both of us have used the "spoon scoop" modification, and the problem has been - for all intensive purposes - eliminated. I flew my UMX AC in 90 degree weather this past week, and pulled a solid 12 - 13 minute flight without a hint of a problem. Well, may be a "hint", that being an apparent over-reaction of the AS3X circuity, resulting in a momentary minor "hump-de-dumpty" action via the elevator. Then again, could be wind related. Whatever, I am of the belief that some UMX Aero Commanders have compromised "bricks", the result of which can be a momentary total loss of control under high ambient/excessive wide open throttle conditions. Just my opinion. I didn't advise HH on this, they are a great organization. I simply bought a complete replacement plane......months ago. It's still in the box, and I continue to fly my UMX Aero Commander #1 with it's "spoon scoop" modification. Thanks for listening to and reading my post.

RD
Doug!

Thank you for reporting your over-temperature protection occurrence with your AC. It happened to mine yesterday, Saturday, for the first and only time at my RC club flying field in mid 80's temperatures. It was toward the end of the second and last flight for it that day; after a short 2-3 minute cool down after the first flight. It was cruising nicely at 60-65% throttle when both motors simply quit. Control was retained and I landed it softly enough in the dry grass. No damage other than a few new scratches. When I reached the airplane there was still no ESC response. Battery capacity was measured at 43% remaining. About 30 minutes later, at home, I checked for ESC response and it had fully returned. Seems reasonable to me that my AC experienced an over temperature protection event. Following your lead, I installed an air scoop over the vent hole in the fuselage at the nose. Yes, a cut down plastic spoon!

I will report back if this change eliminates any further ESC shut downs.

Sincerely,
Curt
Jul 14, 2019, 10:09 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
I had the most fortunate mid air failure this morning. The plane started to behave a little odd so I cut throttle and the glide was fine. As soon as I cracked on the throttle the wing and fuse separated. It instantly flipped inverted, the wing acted as a parachute because all the wires were still connected and it literally floated down inverted and landed damage free in the grass. it was kind of surreal watching it slowly parachute down. While itís apart, time to add a lighting system.

Same happened to me - but on my first flight Lol
Some units seem to not have enough glue holding the wing down to the fuse. If you are using a larger battery than stock recommendation it makes it worse.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Jul 14, 2019, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320

same thing happened to me on my 100th flight. i was trying to make it through 100 flights without any mishaps and of course this happens on the 100th, but it was in a high G dive. the same thing happened to my friend's Aerocommander and he has only had a dozen or so flights. i repaired both planes and it is amazing how little glue they put on that joint. i got a new Aerocommander after accidentally driving over my plane with my car. first thing i did was rip the wing off and put on heaps of glue.
-beanie
Jul 14, 2019, 10:49 AM
In doing the repairs I found there was no glue holding the wing, it was a few narrow strips of double sided tape. Up until now, I thought I had seen corner cutting at it’s finest..... it’s gone past that to the point that I see this and think “what in the hell were they thinking?”

I just feel incredibly fortunate for the built in parachute glide option. I will say putting the motor and servo wires on the wing CG point worked to my advantage. The wing worked for the glide all the way down.
Jul 14, 2019, 01:28 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
If you have to replace the wing, say, because of an accident, you'd be praising Horizon's choice of removable double-sided sticky tape instead of a huge patch of tape you couldn't get apart, or glue. It's not a cost savings, it's a feature. The only issue is they didn't use quite enough or maybe the adhesive isn't as good as it was supposed to be. But I would argue that taped-on is infinitely preferable to having to scrap the entire airframe because you can't replace individual parts without destroying the whole to get them separated...
Jul 16, 2019, 07:44 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
If you have to replace the wing, say, because of an accident, you'd be praising Horizon's choice of removable double-sided sticky tape instead of a huge patch of tape you couldn't get apart, or glue. It's not a cost savings, it's a feature. ...
To me, that's the equivalent of the gynecologist advising you are only 50% pregnant! The point is well taken. I "adhesed" my AC wing to the fuselage using UHU por adhesive. Works great, but it will be a really PIA to remove the wing. Should have simply used strong & clear packing tape, applied to the side of the fuselage and the underside of the wing. In this manner, you can simply cut thru the tape at the 90 degree bend and remove/replace the wing. Live and let learn. To date, however, I have not lost a wing during some rather aggressive flying. Main problem had been, during hot weather only, with the 'brick" or ESC going totally nuts due to what I perceive is an over heating problem. Flew my UMX AC again, several times this past Sunday in 90+ degree weather and not a hint of a serious problem. I have to believe the "scoop" is working, when using the larger 850 2S Lipo pack.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:43 PM
That thing almost hit me
Just a lengthwise piece of scotch tape at 90į works fine.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Just a lengthwise piece of scotch tape at 90į works fine.
Only if you've read through this thread and know to do it.

It's clearly a mistake on Horizon's part. More tape, or stickier tape, since there have been plenty of reports of people peeling their wings off. But the design intent was good. Just fell short on implementation.

I caught mine before it detached and used some scotch tape. Won't even try to peel it off, just slice through it with an Xacto when the time comes.
Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 PM
I put some small dabs of hot glue under the wing saddle and reinforced with some small tabs of tape. Wing removal will still be easy with an Xacto knife.

I was lucky my wing came off hanging in the closet.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:44 AM
Custom User Name Title
The same double-sided tape is what Horizon had used before on quite a few micros for the same purpose, and in some others to stick the top fuse piece to the bottom fuse piece. It's weird that it failed on this particular aircraft so many reported times here. That seems to indicate that what they used either wasn't enough or it was cost-cutting different supplier material and was inferior.

Just a bit of scotch tape fixed mine up too.
Jul 17, 2019, 11:06 AM
When I got mine I was checking it out and that tape just didn`t sit well with me. I put a small fillet of elmers clear glue in the spots where there was no tape or decal. I`m not concerned with if I have to remove the wing.
Jul 18, 2019, 10:30 PM
Could be a bad batch of tape. It happens. Hard to QC check how long the adhesive will last on each incoming batch, you have to rely on the supplier and sometimes they screw up. I haven't had to use double sided tape in any of the products I make at work, but we do have labels and have had this exact problem, the labels peeled off when they weren't supposed to... bad batch of adhesive.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed flying my Aero Commander again in the big park today. The wind was fairly light and my 450mAh batteries were lightweight and powerful so I could fly it fast, slow, make vertical rolling climbs and normal rolls and loops. My timer is set to 6 minutes and the batteries had plenty of power remaining. I greased the landings in the grass clippings without the landing gear.
Jul 24, 2019, 10:09 PM
WOW More Fake News......HA.....

Quick Reply