Jun 07, 2019, 07:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru
The nose of your Aero Commander appears to be wrinkled.
Three guesses on how the wrinkles got there! Yes, I am aware of the steam treatment. Thanks for the reminder. In an effort to get the plane back in the air as soon as possible, I decided to go the "tape tension" routine, with limited results. Might just do the steam thing a bit later, should I dork the plane in again.

RD
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2019, 08:06 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Three guesses on how the wrinkles got there!....

RD
Chasing parked cars??

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jun 07, 2019, 09:03 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Chasing parked cars??

Joel
Actually, it was a ground level durometer test!
Jun 07, 2019, 09:08 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Actually, it was a ground level durometer test!
Ah-hah! Those will tend to get you...

Joel
Jun 08, 2019, 08:55 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You used the spoon scoop method.
Jun 10, 2019, 09:55 AM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
You used the spoon scoop method.
Yeah, I got the scoop on that technique years ago.

RD
Jun 10, 2019, 10:57 AM
My Aero Commander sometimes binds and then won't bind. Have rebound and found same problem. I turn on transmitter and most of the time I can't get bind. Plug and unplug battery and on and off with transmitter maybe 10 times before I get a bind. Anything I should look for? Once bound plane flies find. Any help would be appreciated.
Jun 10, 2019, 11:09 AM
Had the same experience with mine not binding. Found out that the tx will flood the Rx if you are too close. Move the Tx farther away then plug the battery in. The Tx is too close to the Rx, that is probably the problem.
Jun 10, 2019, 12:41 PM
I'd rather be flying!
It's called receiver front-end overload. Happens with a number of UMX aircraft when the tx is too close to the rx during the binding process and/or when simply initializing for a flight.

Turning your back to the aircraft with the tx in your hands & pointing the tx antenna directly away from the aircraft will significantly reduce the signal-strength at the receiver - which usually does the trick without having to walk more than a few feet away.

Joel
Jun 25, 2019, 08:45 PM

finally in to the tree

HI all I'm a big fan of UMX planes,but finally lost my Aerocommander . When flying and man does this thing fly!! Suddenly It would go hard over ,many times I throttled back regaining control and landed. Horizon sent ne a new RX board but the problem continued,intermittently . On the ground with the motors running,at different speeds no matter,suddenly it the rudder ,elevators ailerons. Jumps. Some times in the blink of an eye and the event..The glitch is over. which in the air can cause problems needless to say. So the Aerocommander is finally in to the tree. I'm bummed out since the line of UMX planes are great flyers but in R//C one glitch is one too many so I do Not know WHAT to think as I'm not at all in my 52 years flying R/C accustomed to bad rarios!! SO the controls periodically JUMPED What a bummer I loved that AeroCommander. Climbed likeca home sick ngel,was aeribatic gosh ..
Last edited by fastruchard; Jun 25, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:47 PM
Elfi Flyer

Aero Commander glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastruchard
HI all I'm a big fan of UMX planes,but finally lost my Aerocommander . When flying and man does this thing fly!! Suddenly It would go hard over ,many times I throttled back regaining control and landed. Horizon sent ne a new RX board but the problem continued,intermittently . On the ground with the motors running,at different speeds no matter,suddenly it the rudder ,elevators ailerons. Jumps. Some times in the blink of an eye and the event..The glitch is over. which in the air can cause problems needless to say. So the Aerocommander is finally in to the tree. I'm bummed out since the line of UMX planes are great flyers but in R//C one glitch is one too many so I do Not know WHAT to think as I'm not at all in my 52 years flying R/C accustomed to bad rarios!! SO the controls periodically JUMPED What a bummer I loved that AeroCommander. Climbed likeca home sick ngel,was aeribatic gosh ..
I am totally convinced, based on what I have experienced with my UMX Aero Commander and what another fellow club member has experienced with his UMX Aero Commander, that there is an inherit problem with overheating the "brick" or electronic circuit board within the plane. This happens when you are really hauling the plane in almost unlimited verticals or screaming low passes. No question about it, this plane is fast, rather aerobatic, and a real blast to fly. However, all of that having been said, in hot weather flying (ambient temperatures of 85F and higher), the plane can develop a sudden glitch that will cause it to go absolutely nuts for just a few seconds.......just enough for you to put it in the ground, or soil your laundry should you be flying at "3 mistakes high" and experience the temporary total loss of control. So, I have approached the problem by increasing the amount of "flow thru" cooling air. Crude as the "mod" may appear, it has worked! 10 minute flights at 90F+ ambient temperatures, using my now standard 850 2S Lipos.....whereas before, in hot weather, 5 minutes and I was in trouble. In colder temperatures, 10-12 minute flights with MANY wide open throttle applications and no problems! FWIW. Used a plastic spoon, cut to make a scoop. Also, ever so lightly opened the existing NACA duct. Thus far, not a hint of (holy $...t!, what was that all about!).

RD
Jun 26, 2019, 10:23 AM
Thanks Doug,read your post before posting mine,You nailed the inherent problem I do think. The A.C. brick runs hot most certainly. . So with problem diagnosed ,HIGH temperature operations has to be the culprit. As I recall I never experienced a problem below say 75 degrees. So W.T.H. I will purcash another(I'm calling Horizon directly to order another Aerocommander and requesting a discount) So okay when I get my new A.C. I'm adding Your spoon Modifications and will most certainly be conscientious of throttle management with regards to ensuing heating problems most probably inheriant with the UMX Aerocommanders design. Many thanks Doug for Your thoughtful analysis.
Last edited by fastruchard; Jun 26, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Jun 26, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thanks Doug,read your post before posting mine,You nailed I do think. I mean that thi.g runs hot most certainly. So with problem diagnosed ,HIGH temperature MUST be the problem. As I recall never a problem below say 75 degrees. So I will pur ash another(I'm calling Horizon directly to order another Aerocommander and requesting a discount) when I get my new A.C. I'm adding Your spoon Modifications and will most certainly be conscientious of throttle management with regards to ensuing heating problems most probably inheriant with the UMX Aerocommanders design. Many thanks Doug for Your thoughtful analysis.
Jun 26, 2019, 09:10 PM
Elfi Flyer
In defense of the plane - and I REALLY like it! - I may be exacerbating the problem by running a 2s 850 Lipo pack, versus a smaller (mAh and size related) 2s Lipo pack. The 850 mAh pack really covers much of the air channel that delivers air from the stock front NACA duct to the interior of the plane and finally out the rear vent. In colder weather (50 - 70F ) I can fly the pi$$ out of the plane and never a hint of glitching. However, when ambient temps go up into the high 80's and low 90's, that's when strange stuff happens when flying the plane aggressively. With my scoop modification, I can again get a solid 10 - 12 minute flights on the 850 packs, in hot weather, provided I tone down the full throttle episodes. The UMX A-C remains one of my favorite and most powerful micros. Looking forward to really pushing it again this fall and winter.

RD
Jun 26, 2019, 09:58 PM
Here is the spare stock e flite pack that I have been using in the A.C. ,any thoughts?? Seems I got some 6 minute flights in,which is what I had the Tx timer set at. So its an E flite 30C. 2 S 7.4 800mAh if picture un clear TKS

Quick Reply