Oct 05, 2017, 01:07 PM
Very Soft Target
I think this may be my second first plane. I have purchased a UMX F-16 because they seem to be rapidly disappearing and I didn't want to miss out like with the MiG 15 and the Beast. Don't know how to fly (other than general toy quad and micro CP heli experience) so that will not be the one I start with!

Was pondering the Waco or the Pitts or the Radian with the intent of learning to fly (and enjoying some some microFPV love) and just saw this thread. After having watched this video we may have a winner. Looks like piles of room inside for a fat battery and a skinny cam and it can apparently defy gravity. (Are HH promo videos officially recognized as a dangerous and addictive drug yet? It's unfair.) I'm sold. Here's hoping $220 AUD is $180 or so in U.S.E.D. (United States Ebay Dollars)

Put a red bow on top and drop it on my doorstep (no chimney). Thanks!
Last edited by BOOCAKE4U; Oct 05, 2017 at 01:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOCAKE4U

Was pondering the Waco or the Pitts or the Radian with the intent of learning to fly
The Radian would be the only one out of those three choices for learning to fly.. The other two will quickly end in tears. I’d probably opt for the Sport Cub S or T-28 though.
Oct 05, 2017, 01:53 PM
Very Soft Target
That probably holds true for the Aero Commander too eh? (I better buy one of each just in case.)

Really looking to do slow park flying I suppose, via FPV or line of sight. The Radian does seem almost ideal for this purpose, but I thought the AC might do well also, with the benefit of having the props out of camera frame and the ability to grow with me if I turn out to not suck as much as I probably do.

(Better buy two of each, so I can crash one of each.)

xoxo,

The Ideal Customer

p.s. Thanks for the recommendations by the way. Just had a look at both!

Also, MSRP of the AC is a mere $150! Nice. Truncated product link in post #9 above no es bueno.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/umx-aer...-as3x-eflu5850
Last edited by BOOCAKE4U; Oct 05, 2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Compulsive Editor Alert
Oct 05, 2017, 02:21 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Yup. It's intended for intermediate pilots - which means pilots who have already mastered 4-channel flight. If you want a UMX plane that's docile enough to learn on, but has the grunt to haul a serious load & still be fun to fly - yet can be flown in small spots - I recommend the UMX Timber. It's also intended for intermediate pilots - but it can fly slower than the speed of thought, and it doesn't have any bad habits. And you can turn on SAFE - which beginners can use as a 'panic button' to get out of bad situations, provided the plane has sufficient altitude to recover.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Oct 05, 2017, 02:43 PM
Very Soft Target
Oh that does look like fun, and with the floats and lights? Fuhgedaboudit. (I will not chase the ducks, I will not chase the ducks, I will not chase the ducks.)

Appreciate the recommendation, looks like a really nice choice. (Don't worry HH, I'll still buy an Aero Commander too. She'll be sitting right next to the F-16, waiting for me.)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.
Oct 05, 2017, 04:03 PM

Trying to protect from bankruptcy

I mean, I bought so many UMX' so far it's getting me bankrupt. May you have electronics from your old UMX' and not spend too much on materials and spend a bit on some building, I suggest the following free plan

http://modell-aviator.de/downloads/z...r-und-outdoor/
Oct 05, 2017, 04:13 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Wow! Finally, a UMX bl twin prop-job! And an Aero Commander, no less! Looks like she has some SERIOUS GRUNT, along with some SERIOUS aerobatic chops!

Wonder who will be the first to do Bob's energy-management routine with it? Had the honor of watching the master himself, and meeting him afterward. Best stick-and-rudder pilot in the history of aviation, and an amazingly humble guy!

Joel
I'd love to see a dead stick routine spliced together in video. I am confident that I can do the maneuvers, but I'm not confident that the airplane will have the inertia to maintain energy during something like a 4 point dead stick roll. It'll need prop brake too. Either way, I'm very pleased to see this offering.

For those that have and will grumble about the lack of flaps and retracts: Its all about max performance and cost per unit. Retracts would be too big of a performance hit on a micro, and while flaps could have been great, I see the cost per unit savings as well as simplicity won out there. Retracts on a micro is not a performance hit I would want to take. People have done it, and that's their choice. I wouldn't want the weight and structure change.

As many micros as there have been on the market, I'm surprised to see people that think that retracts on a mass produced micro 2S powered model would even be considered. (unless they are new to the hobby)

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Oct 05, 2017, 04:42 PM
Slow is the go!
Thread OP
The engineering as well, with that the cost as you said would be prohibitive
She would have to be a great belly lander, possibly the best yet, props out
of the way, nice big fuse to skid in on, I was thinking she would probably
go okay as a flying boat with the boat like underbelly.

And on that note we have had two civil planes so back to warbirds please,
how about a.........

Great slow flyer, easy to do gear on or off and to be honest would probably
rise off ground with out undercarriage.

Whoops sorry thread hi-jack back to the Commander.
Oct 05, 2017, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps
Whoops sorry thread hi-jack back to the Commander.
Its pre-release, so you're safe.

Its time for a :

UMX OV-10
UMX PBY
UMX Grumman Amphib..dealers choice

And, Flyzone did a lackluster P-38

HORIZON, do a UMX P-38, and show them how its DONE!!

-CC
Oct 05, 2017, 04:54 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
Its pre-release, so you're safe.

Its time for a :

UMX OV-10
UMX PBY
UMX Grumman Amphib..dealers choice

And, Flyzone did a lackluster P-38

HORIZON, do a UMX P-38, and show them how its DONE!!

-CC
They’ve got the dual brushless and the dual rudder linkage sorted... so a 4ch micro p-38 would be very doable, just have to figure out some way to brave the booms... Lord knows enough people made unskilled landings with the A-10 for complaints to abound regarding the nose structure
Oct 05, 2017, 04:55 PM
This looks like it would be a killer FPV plane. 20 minute flights on a larger battery. Take the wheels off and you should just about offset the weight of a small micro swift with backpack transmitter. That would be just perfect for my close range fixed wing fpv.
Oct 05, 2017, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2
This looks like it would be a killer FPV plane. 20 minute flights on a larger battery. Take the wheels off and you should just about offset the weight of a small micro swift with backpack transmitter. That would be just perfect for my close range fixed wing fpv.
RCG needs a "like" button, for posts like this
Oct 05, 2017, 05:21 PM
circle flyer
I would have to agree with Peter....... a 2S PBY would be so sweet and a built in FPV window right up front too.

I fly a 3S PBY but a 2S would be ideal, the 3S takes a lot of room to fly but such a beauty in the air.
Oct 05, 2017, 05:59 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
Love this bird, gonna back order one , Bob Hoover made this plane famous and I'm sure Horizon will continue that
Oct 05, 2017, 06:27 PM
Closed Account
I just saw the e-mail. I LOVE twins. Twin brushless makes this one a no brainer and the price is reasonable. I signed up for in stock notification. Was kinda hoping there was an even better deal for pre-ordering but there isn't. That's OK. Looks like it'll be a nice bird and lend itself well to custom paint.

Joe

Quick Reply