Jan 19, 2020, 10:43 AM
My first post on here for a while!

Just before Christmas I picked up a PA Addiction XL V2. Living in the UK (south London) its seemingly always windy here and I've found that the Addiction just doesn't handle the wind in the way I want. Any more than just a gentle breeze and its struggling to track as I want it to.

So, I decided one of these EF 60" Slicks instead, a reason being that it looks like the gear I was using in the Addiction XL would move across OK to this airframe. It arrived last week and I'm just waiting on a couple of MKS servos to arrive for the rudder and elevator to finish it.

The PA Thrust 60 motor is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Torque motor. Thus I found I had to machine up a new carbon X plate for the motor, sized to fit the mouthing holes in the firewall. And, I made up a couple of ply X spacers to move the motor forward. But, the PA motor is quite a bit lighter (213g) than the Torque (292g). I'm also planning on using the pairs of 2,200 and 2,900 3s LiPo packs I've been using with my PA Addiction XL and PA Ultimate AMR 60, which should also save some weight over the 3,300-3,700 packs most people seem to be using.

For the aileron servos I've fitted pair of MKS69HVs, which are going to be on 8.2V. I decided to fit a pair of MKS747HV servos on the rudder and elevator.

I haven't weighed the Slick yet, as its not 100 finished. But, I did hold the airframe in one hand and my PA Ultimate AMR 60 in the other and they felt fairly similar. The AMR 60 has got great performance (with a 15x8 prop, I will use the same on the Slick) so the Slick should be similarly good. I'm getting about 7.5 minutes out of the AMR 60 doing artistic aeros and slow 3D. I'm actually really looking forward to this and it will be interesting to see how this goes on this different set-up. From some quick calculations, it should be a good 250-275g lighter than the apparently usual/stock set-up).

Tomorrow, I'll take some photos of the PA motor mounted to this airframe and will post that here.

In the meantime, can someone tell me where the CofG is located on this? I'm guessing its on or about the wing tube. I did a quick test balance with a bit of weight in the tail to simulate the currently missing elevator servo. I found I have to fit the two 2,200 mAh packs fully inside the fuselage/motor box at the front of the fuselage. Is this what we would all expect?

B.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2020, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bunter
In the meantime, can someone tell me where the CofG is located on this? I'm guessing its on or about the wing tube. I did a quick test balance with a bit of weight in the tail to simulate the currently missing elevator servo. I found I have to fit the two 2,200 mAh packs fully inside the fuselage/motor box at the front of the fuselage. Is this what we would all expect?

B.
Hey Billy,

I like this plane to fly inverted 45 test with a gentle arc back toward the ground. In straight inverted, it requires a touch of down elevator to maintain altitude. This is still forward of neutral c.g., but not at all nose heavy. To get that, I balance (loaded plane, canopy resting on wing so it's actual c.g.) at the rear edge of the wing tube. (I pick up the fuse around the sides right there.) Some like it forward a little, but I find c.g. at wing tube center to be a bit un-tumbly (this plane is made for tumbling!).

You may be good with the lighter P.A. 60 motor. With my Torque, the plane is nose heavy with a 6S 3300 touching the front of the wing tube. So I had to add some tail weight (a beefy tail wheel did it).

FYI the P.A. 60 motor doesn't pull as hard as the stock Torque motor. On my AMR 60 bipe, I swapped the PA for the Torque (bipe was tail heavy anyway), and Wowee. But it will be an interesting test on the Slick, with slightly lower power motor but overall lighter, on a plane where you can just slide batteries forward.

However your batteries will be lighter than mine, so hard to guess right. Just fly it!

T.P.
Jan 20, 2020, 01:39 PM
Thanks, TP, appreciate the reply.

The servos turned up this morning. I got them fitted and then headed out to fly the Slick. After moaning about the wind here, we actually enjoyed a clear and windless day, about as perfect as you could hope for during winter time in London.

The Slick flys very light (feels lighter in the air than my PA Ultimate AMR 60) and is incredibly agile. High energy, end over end tumbling manoeuvres are quite spectacular!

I found that the flight packs didn't need to go all the way forward to get a neutral CofG, though I'd say that 2/3rd of them are still tuned into the motor box.

Vertical performance and punch out of a hover is good. I'm hovering and torque rolling at half stick/power. I'm only running a 15x8 and could go to a 16x7 or 16x8 comfortably. So, I can get plentily more punch if I decide I want that. Flight times are 7 minutes doing nice aeros and 3D, landing with about 20% pack capacity left.

I did just weigh the Slick and it comes in at 2,197grams or 4.84lbs.

Really pleased with this. Accurate, agile, tracks well and flys like a bigger model. Will be interesting to see how it handles a bit of wind!

B.
Jan 20, 2020, 02:19 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Quote:
Thanks, TP, appreciate the reply.

The servos turned up this morning. I got them fitted and then headed out to fly the Slick. After moaning about the wind here, we actually enjoyed a clear and windless day, about as perfect as you could hope for during winter time in London.

The Slick flys very light (feels lighter in the air than my PA Ultimate AMR 60) and is incredibly agile. High energy, end over end tumbling manoeuvres are quite spectacular!

I found that the flight packs didn't need to go all the way forward to get a neutral CofG, though I'd say that 2/3rd of them are still tuned into the motor box.

Vertical performance and punch out of a hover is good. I'm hovering and torque rolling at half stick/power. I'm only running a 15x8 and could go to a 16x7 or 16x8 comfortably. So, I can get plentily more punch if I decide I want that. Flight times are 7 minutes doing nice aeros and 3D, landing with about 20% pack capacity left.

I did just weigh the Slick and it comes in at 2,197grams or 4.84lbs.

Really pleased with this. Accurate, agile, tracks well and flys like a bigger model. Will be interesting to see how it handles a bit of wind!

B.
Hey Billy,

You will find the Slick handles the windy weather just fine. Mine is set up stock with the torque motor and is slightly nose heavy with 3700 lipos. Doesn't seem to affect it much, very agile and tumbles like a mad thing.

Being down in Cornwall we get our fair share of wind and this is the plane I tend to fly if conditions are a bit sketchy.
Jan 20, 2020, 02:26 PM
Billy,
4.84lbs, wow! I may have to try that motor... it's just sitting there in a box! I'd still fly my 3300's, but could eliminate my heavy retrofit tail wheel.
T.P.
Jan 20, 2020, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Chris!

TP: I honestly wouldn't bother swapping the motor over if you are going to stick with the same sized packs. I'm running a pair of 2,200 35 packs and actually the major weight saving is with these over those 3,700s you are using. Mine really does fly unbelievably light in the air - the packs being the biggest contributor to this.

B.
Jan 20, 2020, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Chris!

TP: The biggest weight saving measure on mine is the packs. 2,200 35c packs VS the 3,700s. I wouldn't bother swapping only the motor over but using the same sized packs. I think you'll be left disappointed....

B
Jan 22, 2020, 09:42 AM
A few images of the Slick - battery placement and motor install (photographed through an opening in the front of the cowl)

B.
Jan 22, 2020, 10:38 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Quote:
A few images of the Slick - battery placement and motor install (photographed through an opening in the front of the cowl)

B.
How many degrees of deflection are you getting on the rudder with those stock arms on the servo?
2.5"+ gets a full span "tap-to-tap" deflection... at least it did for me.
1.5" on the elevator as well.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:26 PM
San Antonio TX.
I had my 60” Slick out this morning, I had forgotten how exciting it is to fly. My 60 “ Extra flys 3D good but my 580 rocks at XA!

Bob
Feb 04, 2020, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
How many degrees of deflection are you getting on the rudder with those stock arms on the servo?
2.5"+ gets a full span "tap-to-tap" deflection... at least it did for me.
1.5" on the elevator as well.
Here you go - images of the throws/deflections. Its maxed out in terms of what the surfaces can deflect to, with the rudder tapping the elevators and the elevator hinge bevels locking up. Were it not for this, I could actually get more movement.

B.
Feb 05, 2020, 10:09 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Well you got some deflection going on... I hope the servos are up to the task.
Feb 05, 2020, 11:23 AM
San Antonio TX.
The servo looks like an MKS HV 9767, if so it is well up to the job. The servo arm appears to be a Dubro heavy duty arm.

Bob
Feb 08, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
The servo looks like an MKS HV 9767, if so it is well up to the job. The servo arm appears to be a Dubro heavy duty arm.

Bob
Yes, I'm running a pair of MKS 9767HS servos on the rudder/elevator and a pair of MKS 69HV servos on the ailerons. Its an 8.2V set-up and there is tons of servo power there. Really impressed with them!

Went out and flex the Slick today in some pretty windy weather. It handled the wind fine and I continue to be really impressed by this model. Got 12 flights on it today!

B.
Feb 08, 2020, 12:23 PM
San Antonio TX.
That’s great, it is a fantastic flying airplane, I have been flying mine now for around a year and a half or so.

Bob

Quick Reply