Phoenix Stopped Working on Windows 10 - RC Groups
Oct 04, 2017, 05:29 PM
Discussion

Phoenix Stopped Working on Windows 10

I've been using Phoenix for several years, but after the last Windows 10 update it stopped working. I have the latest version (5.5.I).

It does not recognize the USB being connected. Looking at the devices, I see that Windows sees the USB connected, but it is not able to initialize the driver. I tried uninstalling the driver and letting it reinstall, but I see the same error.

Anyone else running into this issue?

I want my sim back!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2017, 07:15 PM
I'm guessing the problem is related to this error. I tried uninstalling the driver multiple times.
Oct 06, 2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave
I'm guessing the problem is related to this error. I tried uninstalling the driver multiple times.
This is an interesting thread.

My PhoenixRC had a wobbler the other day!
All my favorites have gone and the program acted as though I had only just installed it because it wanted to setup my TX to work with Phoenix.

Anyone else having problems?
Oct 07, 2017, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBuld
This is an interesting thread.

My PhoenixRC had a wobbler the other day!
All my favorites have gone and the program acted as though I had only just installed it because it wanted to setup my TX to work with Phoenix.

Anyone else having problems?
It seems it is just a coincidence that my Phoenix has also has had a problem.
Phoenix has lost my default settings e.g. TX settings and Favorites.
The missing TX settings is why Phoenix decided I was a new user of the program ;(

Anyone know what file controls the user settings or are they in the registry?

================================================== ==============

As for your problem gobigdave you could look at windows restore.
Do not actually do the restore, but look at programs affected to see if your driver was updated.
You may need a windows 10 forum for help on driver problems.
Or just do a reinstall of PhoenixRC.
Oct 07, 2017, 10:08 AM
HH recommened I try and reinstall everything from scratch, so I:

- Uninstalled the usb driver
- Uninstalled the sim
- Dug out my original disk (took me a while to find it), and installed v5
- Launched and upgraded to 5.5.I

Now, I'm getting a error when it tries to upgrade the launcher. I got this before, but I don't remember how I got rid of it.

Anyway, I skipped the upgrade of the launcher and tried to use the system, and I get the exact same error.

"This device cannot start.."

HH basically told me I'm out of luck if this doesn't work. I will have to buy another copy. However, I'm not sure I trust it so maybe the timing for RealFlight 8 is right.
Oct 07, 2017, 10:17 AM
Donate Platelets
Is it possible your adapter has been damaged?
Oct 07, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
HH recommened I try and reinstall everything from scratch, so I:

- Uninstalled the usb driver
- Uninstalled the sim
- Dug out my original disk (took me a while to find it), and installed v5
- Launched and upgraded to 5.5.I

Now, I'm getting a error when it tries to upgrade the launcher. I got this before, but I don't remember how I got rid of it.

Anyway, I skipped the upgrade of the launcher and tried to use the system, and I get the exact same error.

"This device cannot start.."

HH basically told me I'm out of luck if this doesn't work. I will have to buy another copy. However, I'm not sure I trust it so maybe the timing for RealFlight 8 is right.
Who is HH?

You have to download the latest launcher from the phoenix site, ftp://109.228.28.152/Files/Launcher/PhoenixRC.exe
I would contact Phoenix support stating as much information as possible and send them your log files, they are very helpful.

In short:- it should work with Windows 10.

You will find a lot of information at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-short-review

RealFlight is very good; however you have to keep paying every time an update comes out.
Oct 07, 2017, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars
Is it possible your adapter has been damaged?
That is a good point.
Mine was damaged a while back - must have given the lead pull ;( - I opened up the case and checked the continuity to the jack and one of wires near the grommet was broken. So I cut back the insulation and re-soldered it. It's been working for quite a while now; I'd forgotten I had repaired it till now

If the dongle is not plugged in you get a "USB interface not detected"
and in the Diagnostic.log you get...

Setting new site...Updating recent sites...Refreshing USB devices...found 16 new devices
0 > 0 devices
Auto-update check... No USB interface was detected - canceling

So it seems that Phoenix loops through the USB devices on your PC/Laptop looking for the dongle.

Diagnostic.log is in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\PhoenixRC
Last edited by TrueBuld; Oct 07, 2017 at 10:54 AM.
Oct 07, 2017, 11:18 AM
HH = Horizon Hobby

It's possible the adapter is damaged. I'm usually pretty good with it, but you never know. I will open it up and see if I can spot anything.

The sim never finds my dongle because Windows is unable to start the driver after I plug it in.

If I can't get this working, I think I may go wireless on the next one. At least then the wires don't get pulled around as much.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:19 PM
An update on my situation...

After a few emails back and forth with Horizon Hobby and a photo of my adapter with the wire cut, they are replacing my adapter for $0. I've had this sim for two years or so, and they still replaced it. Hopefully, this solves my issue.

Note, this is not the first time Horizon has taken care of me when they didn't have to. Other times I explained to them the part was broken by me and no fault of theirs, and they still sent me a new one. That level of customer service does make me want to go back again.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately, the new adapter did not fix my problem. It seems that some update to either Windows or Parallels (v13 on Mac 10.13) caused my usb driver for the Phoenix adapter to stop loading. Reinstalling the driver multiple times did not fix it.

For the record, I have never run Phoenix on anything other than a Mac with Parallels. Until a couple of weeks ago, it always worked perfectly. Other usb devices work fine. It's just Phoenix that doesn't work.

Bummer...
Oct 28, 2017, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, the new adapter did not fix my problem. It seems that some update to either Windows or Parallels (v13 on Mac 10.13) caused my usb driver for the Phoenix adapter to stop loading. Reinstalling the driver multiple times did not fix it.

For the record, I have never run Phoenix on anything other than a Mac with Parallels. Until a couple of weeks ago, it always worked perfectly. Other usb devices work fine. It's just Phoenix that doesn't work.

Bummer...
Which system are actually running on?
And do Phoenix know what system you are running on?
Oct 28, 2017, 06:01 PM
I have an iMac with 10.13. Parallels v13 and Windows 10.

All worked fine until a recent Windows or iMac update. I upgraded Parallels after it stopped working in the hopes things would get fixed.

Note, the Mac and Windows updates happened close mostly because Windows tends to update almost every time I start it up.

Yes, Phoenix knows. I'm not the only person running sims with Parallels.

I also had a year old backup copy of my Windows VM. It was still Windows 10, but it was from Nov 2016. Same problem with that one, so I'm leaning toward something about MacOS 10.13 is not making the usb driver in Parallels happy.
Nov 05, 2017, 06:59 PM
I had not used mine in quite a while. When I first loaded Pheonix I was running 10. Then I haven't used it for about a year and received a bunch of missing all errors. I did a complete removal and reinstall and oddly all my TX settings from before showed back up after the reinstall. Problem I am now having is that I can't change aircraft. Every time I try pheonix crashes.