TE probe photo - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 04, 2017, 03:36 PM
Discussion

TE probe photo

Strongly considering buying the RC Electronics set up, but looking for guidance on where/how to install the TE probe.

Photo's and commentary are appreciated.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 10:55 AM
Thx Bernd

I was hoping for a photo of a TE probe on a smaller nonscale
Type glider. Specifically on an Explorer
Oct 05, 2017, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmraapilot
Thx Bernd

I was hoping for a photo of a TE probe on a smaller nonscale
Type glider. Specifically on an Explorer
I can describe how I installed the TE probe on my Xplorer (old style fuse).

First I held the fuse up to the Sun and using the Sun as a backlight I was able to see the location of the vertical rudder post and the vertical fin post in the vertical fin. (See photo 1) I then marked the location of both these posts.

Most vario systems come with a T.E probe adapter which is nothing more than a short piece of brass tubing in which the T. E. probe slides onto (see photo 2 and 3). I then soldered a smaller diameter longer piece of brass tubing onto the TE probe adapter. Then using the marks I made on the vertical fin I cut the brass tube to a length such that when installed it would be just long enough protrude thru the first vertical fin post.

I then drilled a hole thru the leading edge of the vertical fin and also thru the first vertical fin post. The location of the hole was about 2/3 of the height of the vertical fin. The brass tubing assembly will be inserted into these holes. Be careful when drilling the holes to make sure the brass tube will be parallel to the fuse.

Now that the holes are drilled you connect the plastic tubing to the end of the brass tube. The plastic tubing must be long enough to reach the vario located in the forward end of the fuse.

Now feed the plastic tubing thru the hole in the leading edge of the vertical fin and the hole in the vertical fin post. The tubing must go thru both holes and then bend down and go to the bottom of the fuse, past the bellcrank and then bend towards the front of the fuse. This is much easier said then done! If you look at photo 1 you can see the shadow of the tubing as it bends down towards the bottom of the fuse.

Once the plastic tubing is all the way in you now insert the brass tube assembly in leaving enough brass tubing sticking out to allow for the TE probe installation. See photos 2,3,and 4.

Once everything is in place and lined up I put a drop of CA on the brass tube at the leading edge of the fin. I then folded back the rudder, drilled a hole in the rudder post to allow me to get a drop of epoxy on the location where the brass tube pokes thru the hole in the vertical fin post.

Hope this makes sense!

John
Oct 06, 2017, 01:04 PM
dare to thermal
Or: http://wshp.de/elvira/Elvira_TEK_VLTW.jpg
http://www.wstech.de/index.htm?tek_pro.htm

Itīs a probe for vertical installation.

/Bernd
Oct 10, 2017, 12:21 PM
Yes there is.
Pictures of a vertical probe mounted in a Maxa hatch cover .
Mac
Oct 14, 2017, 02:27 PM
Thanks
I just happen to have a 4m F3J Explorer fuselage like John has and will convert it to an E fuselage and install the TE probe this winter.
Thx for the photos and build log.