DJI Launches Privacy Mode for Drone Operators - RC Groups

DJI Launches Privacy Mode for Drone Operators

DJI adds Privacy or Local Data Mode to CrystalSky monitors and select Android tablets to enhance security for drone operators.

Splash

Local Data Mode is Now Available on DJI Drones

Well after the US Military stopped using DJI drones due to security concerns, DJI has since added Privacy or Local Data Mode to their software and it is now available for DJI drone users. Local Data Mode stops internet traffic to and from the DJI Pilot App thereby protecting potentially sensitive data reaching the DJI servers in China. The only issue here is that LDM is only available for CrystalSky monitors and select Android Tablets. Most users we know, use iOS devices with their DJI products and DJI hasn't decided if they will bring Local Data Mode to the iOS app yet.

Brendan Schulman, DJIís Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs said "We are creating Local Data Mode to address the needs of our enterprise customers, including public and private organizations that are using DJI technology to perform sensitive operations around the world. DJI is committed to protecting the privacy of its customersí photos, videos and flight logs. Local Data Mode will provide added assurances for customers with heightened data security needs."

You can download the DJI Pilot app here

For more information on Local Data Mode, visit DJI

Oct 05, 2017, 09:14 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
While not that big of news to some, I think it's fair to point out that this is only (At Present) available to the new DJI Pilot App which if I am not mistaken is only used on the Enterprise M200 Series of models. So unless your into the heavy commercial use for mapping, survey and such it doesn't effect the larger RCG community of consumer to prosumer market in the camera type crowd. Thus having a picture of the Mavic Pro is a bit misleading IMHO. We can hope it spreads down to the Go Apps, but I have yet to see any announcement that it will or is planned.

EDIT: Just saw DJI say that it (Pilot App) will support Mavic up on next release (It's in Beta) so progress
Last edited by Repaid1; Oct 05, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 10:31 AM
foamies never die
Nice picture though
Oct 05, 2017, 11:24 AM
Do you think you can tell?
Iím going to try and play with this I have it on CrystalSky but just not been home to test it yet.
Latest blog entry: FFREEWELL DJI Mavic Pro ND &...
Oct 06, 2017, 12:46 PM
Drones are dumb
Feel like the only "privacy" issues are those committed by drone operators
Oct 07, 2017, 08:17 AM
Technology for good!

Josh

Really!

Not cool dude!

Shooting down or portraying the shooting down any Federally registered aircraft is a offense to all.

Phil
Last edited by Sky Angels; Oct 07, 2017 at 11:59 AM.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfreund
Please point me to one "drone" video out of the literally millions that are posted all over the web where someone's privacy was violated.
Oct 08, 2017, 06:29 AM

so they promise not to snitch?

Isn't it great now that they promise not to collect and store your data (anymore) you can feel totally save.
Of course we have to take there word for it since its impossible for others to check there code to see if they aren't lying.
Oct 08, 2017, 06:47 AM
Do you think you can tell?
Trust me the guys on Skack will cut none and if they find anything it will become known.

Dji are not going to do anything underhanded and it should be noted that still to this day their has been no proof of logs or flight data being fed back with our permission.
Latest blog entry: FFREEWELL DJI Mavic Pro ND &...
Oct 08, 2017, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfreund
We have lots better stuff to do than "spy" with a noisy limited flight time aircraft. My God... what if your neighbor gets a ladder and goes up on his roof? Do you have a "privacy" fit about that too? Because, you know... the only reason people even own evil ladders is so they can get on their roofs and spy on you... righ? I mean... ladders are only for looking over neighbor's privacy fences and getting up on the roof to spy. That's it. To quote the President of the United States: "You know it, I know it, we all know it." Well that's enough proof for me.
Oct 09, 2017, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar
Please point me to one "drone" video out of the literally millions that are posted all over the web where someone's privacy was violated.
I don't know if there was video but there was this report

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...624-story.html
Oct 09, 2017, 06:17 PM
DJI Support - 107 Certified
There was a video done a year or so ago that tried to show what a drone outside a window would see. They did it a various distances and lighting conditions. What they found was it required that the drone be withing 5-10 feet of the window to see anything and it was best if the room was illuminated from the inside at night. Otherwise you only saw a reflection off the window. You would get a better view with a DSLR and a telephoto lens. There were reports of women sunbathing topless on roof tops that had been filmed. But that is an entirely different situation.
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Oct 09, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Oct 09, 2017, 06:34 PM
Even funnier is when people accuse fpv freestylers of spying on them. Total ignorance.
Oct 09, 2017, 07:18 PM
Drones are dumb
Oct 09, 2017, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waclark57
I don't know if there was video but there was this report

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...624-story.html
"claimed"?, "seemed"?, "potentially"?... I've never seen such waffle-y reporting. It's vague to the point of being pointless. And then they choose to show a $60k ag drone in a pic? They just don't know anything about anything.