RealFlight 8! RF8 is coming! - RC Groups

RealFlight 8! RF8 is coming!

Exciting news! RF8 is bringing back all the features and functionality of RF7.5 with several key upgrades including: VR compatibility, intuitive interface and more customizable flying sites and aircraft than ever before.

Splash

RF8

I'm pretty excited to get this info! I tried to teach myself to fly and realized I needed help. So I sold an airplane and purchased RealFlight. Then I taught myself how to take off and land. I can say without a doubt that RealFlight is what kept me in the hobby (and my real RC planes in one piece). My new gaming computer is due in exactly 24 hours and I'm eyeballing a VR unit. I'm stoked to hear that RF8 will support VR now!

Can My Computer Run RF8?

I think that is the big question and my research indicates that if you ran 7.5, you can run 8.

If you want to use some VR goggles you will need a system that can do that. That would require a higher end machine. Read on from my info from Hobbico and stay tuned for a full review and more info!

Watch our RF8 Interview

RCGroups Hangout - Hobbico Joins Us to Discuss RealFlight8! (1 hr 2 min 21 sec)

From Hobbico:

Classic convenience meets enhanced capabilities in RealFlight 8!

All the supremely realistic physics are back with several key software upgrades. Plug in a VR set and you’re instantly immersed, flying either with the InterLink controller or a game console controller.

There are over a dozen new aircraft and a customized FPV flying site on top of the numerous aircraft and flying sites from RF7.5. You can also customize aircraft and flying sites with upgraded editing software that can accept even more detailed HD models.

Trust in the RC flight simulator that has put more pilots in the air safely than any other, check it out on RealFlight.com and pick up your copy today!

RealFlight 8 : Coming Soon! (0 min 17 sec)

Software Features

• Unparalleled physics make RealFlight the #1 RC flight simulator on the market
  • Simple, intuitive interface—zero learning curve, zero hassle
  • Game-like challenges make flight training fun and fully interactive with at least ten levels of complexity
  • Multiplayer combat—challenge the best pilots in the world
  • Fly in detailed fields—day or night—and make them yourown with FlexiField
  • More than 140 aircraft
  • More than 40 flying sites and FlexiField Site Editor

Interlink-X Features

• Exclusive Reset/Rewind button for replaying your victories orreversing your crashes
  • Easy control of most simulator functions right from the controller
  • 10-channel capability for effortless control of... everything
  • Built-in sliders help drone pilots zero their cameras in for thebest shots

More Info

The RF8 page is live - check it out!

Oct 04, 2017, 10:58 AM
What happened with Real Flight X? Is it a separate product line now?
Oct 04, 2017, 11:04 AM
RCG Admin
Virtual Reality!!!!!!!!
Oct 04, 2017, 11:41 AM
Arrowhead
Guess they took the community feedback after RF X to heart! Good on them.
Oct 04, 2017, 01:00 PM
Finally. The upgrade I have been waiting for over the last 4 years!!!
Oct 04, 2017, 02:10 PM
So whats the difference between X and 8 besides VR?
Oct 04, 2017, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Ryan Douglas from Knife Edge Software here. I saw this post and thought I'd chime in.

RealFlight 8 is the successor to RealFlight 7.5. RF-X is and has always been a separate product line, hence the naming conventions. (We do have an RF-X update in the works as well...)

It's crazy how much more immersive RealFlight is in VR! Seeing everything in 3D, and just being able to look wherever you want, however you want, instead of being locked into the selected camera behavior... it's like really being there. One of the other guys here took it home after hours, and afterwards he said, "I don't have a memory of flying in RealFlight. I remember actually flying." I hope many people will take advantage of that feature. Do note that Jim Graham had it exactly right above as far as system requirements: they're very modest for RF8 (the same as for RF7.5), but the VR systems (Oculus Rift and HTC Vive) have much higher requirements that are completely independent from our software.

I posted on the Knife Edge Software discussion forums with some additional details about RF8. I'm linking to it out of some fear that it would be too much clutter in this thread, but Jim/Jason, if you would prefer I duplicate it here, just say the word. And on a personal note, I know you two are into drones. I think you'll like a lot of what we've added here.
Oct 04, 2017, 03:43 PM
RCG Admin
I can't wait to use the Rift with this!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been asking for an RC VR sim since I got my headset and now it's here!!!! Yeah!!!!!!
Oct 04, 2017, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Ryan
Hi everyone,

Ryan Douglas from Knife Edge Software here. I saw this post and thought I'd chime in.

RealFlight 8 is the successor to RealFlight 7.5. RF-X is and has always been a separate product line, hence the naming conventions. (We do have an RF-X update in the works as well...)

It's crazy how much more immersive RealFlight is in VR! Seeing everything in 3D, and just being able to look wherever you want, however you want, instead of being locked into the selected camera behavior... it's like really being there. One of the other guys here took it home after hours, and afterwards he said, "I don't have a memory of flying in RealFlight. I remember actually flying." I hope many people will take advantage of that feature. Do note that Jim Graham had it exactly right above as far as system requirements: they're very modest for RF8 (the same as for RF7.5), but the VR systems (Oculus Rift and HTC Vive) have much higher requirements that are completely independent from our software.

I posted on the Knife Edge Software discussion forums with some additional details about RF8. I'm linking to it out of some fear that it would be too much clutter in this thread, but Jim/Jason, if you would prefer I duplicate it here, just say the word. And on a personal note, I know you two are into drones. I think you'll like a lot of what we've added here.
If RF-X is intended to be seperate from Realflight 7.5/8 and not a successor.. well.. what exactly is the point? Making a direct competitor for your own product doesn't strike m as a sound business model. Whats the marketing intent behind it? Just "better graphics"?
Oct 04, 2017, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Ryan - please do repost here for all our users to review.

I'm currently shopping for an Oculus and there might be a story on my computer, setup and experience.
Oct 04, 2017, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
If RF-X is intended to be seperate from Realflight 7.5/8 and not a successor.. well.. what exactly is the point? Making a direct competitor for your own product doesn't strike m as a sound business model. Whats the marketing intent behind it? Just "better graphics"?
Simple, really. We've been hearing from people for years who wanted improved, more modern visuals. People who prioritize that above everything except physics. RF-X is the answer. It uses a completely new engine, representing a huge leap forward.

But we knew RF-X would also carry much higher system requirements, and that not everybody would be ready for that. It will take time for common hardware to catch up.

We also knew that after more or less starting from scratch on the application side with RF-X, it would take time to build out the feature set. RealFlight 7.5 represents a decade of development starting with G3--the first version to use that engine--during which features were added steadily over time. We can't reproduce that overnight in RF-X.

So, there's a tradeoff to be made. For people craving advanced new visuals and worlds, and willing to forego some features to get them, there is RF-X. For people who care less about the bleeding edge and want all the features they know and love, running on a computer with a little less horsepower, there was still the incredibly deep 7.5. We expected both to coexist for some time. And nothing says you can't switch back and forth, depending on your needs.

Now RF8 bridges that gap in a way by moving things forward with support for VR, a cutting edge feature that imposes steeper system requirements, while also retaining its relatively low system requirements for people who choose not to use that particular feature but want all the rest.

Letting users choose for themselves according to their own preferences, and supporting both groups? That does strike me as a sound business model.
Oct 04, 2017, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
Ryan - please do repost here for all our users to review.

I'm currently shopping for an Oculus and there might be a story on my computer, setup and experience.
Roger that, Jim. Incoming! And I look forward to that story.

We are pleased to announce the upcoming release of RealFlight 8!

RealFlight 8 is the successor to RF7.5 and adds some exciting new features, such as:
  • VR Capability - Strap on an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive for a new, unprecedented level of immersion.
  • FPV Drone Racing Challenges - Feel the thrill of learning to pilot a high-performance FPV racer through various race courses in three new challenge tiers.
  • Race Drone Flight Controller - This new electronics component simulates the behavior of current race drones. It supports Acro and Horizon modes.
  • New Aircraft - Check out the complete list of new models below!
  • New Airport - The FPV Racing Site contains gates for numerous different race courses as well as some other creative obstacles.
  • Integration of RealFlight Drone Features - See the detailed list below.
  • HID Controller Support - Hook up a USB joystick or game controller for a second, basic controller, or to try out the software on a budget.
  • Enhanced Heli Blade Sounds - Helis have more of the "whump" sound some users have been missing during hard collective maneuvers.
  • Custom Content Creation: FBX Import - Export models from any version of 3ds Max using the FBX file format and import them directly into RealFlight 8! Pioneered in RF-X, this advance eliminates the need for a KEX Exporter plugin to create custom 3D models.
And because I know people are going to ask the natural follow-up question, I will say it here: we also have an RF-X update coming sometime after RF8's release.

VEHICLE LIST
Here are the new models in RF8 compared to 7.5. All of the models that were previously available in RealFlight Drone are included.

Airplanes
  • Great Planes Factor 30cc
  • Riley Model B
Helicopters
  • Synergy 766
Drones
  • Heli-Max FORM500
  • Heli-Max Voltage 500 3D
  • Hubsan X4 Pro
  • Hubsan X4 Pro (Prop Guards)
  • Rise RXS255
  • Scorpion Sky Strider 280 (5 Degree Arm Angle)
  • Scorpion Sky Strider 280 (10 Degree Arm Angle)
  • Tempest 250
  • Tempest 250 (Angled Camera)
  • Tempest 280
  • Tiny Terror 150
  • xCraft X PlusOne
  • Xiro Xplorer
  • Xiro Xplorer G

DRONE-SPECIFIC FEATURES
Here is a more detailed list of drone-related features brought over from the RealFlight Drone product.
  • New vehicles (see above), batteries, motors, and props
  • Flight Modes gadget - Displays the available flight modes, indicates which one is currently selected, and describes how each mode works.
  • A gimbal stabilized camera component with true 3-axis operation
  • Support for daytime lights on vehicles
  • Multirotor Flight Controller: Added Headless mode (including customizable mode name text)
  • Multirotor Flight Controller: Added Tail Sitter mode (for aircraft like the xCraft X PlusOne)
  • Multirotor Flight Controller: Added Disarmed mode
  • Multirotor Flight Controller: Customizable RTL flight speed and RTL/Land ascent/descent rate
  • A dedicated Drone vehicle type (the sim used to treat them as helis)
Last edited by KE Ryan; Oct 04, 2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Formatting
Oct 04, 2017, 07:11 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Questions for KE ryan:

Has the post-stall (3D) handling been improved? Some planes feel more floaty than they should, some feel heavier than they should. 3D Foamies in 7.5 in particular do not feel right at all -- has that been improved?

Has the pitch/diameter relationship of props been improved? I noticed in RF 7.5 that they do not translate properly. EG: Adding more pitch instead of diameter increases thrust in a linear fashion, and it doesn't fall off like they should when you increase pitch past a certain point.

Has there been more brushless motors added? Such as the scorpion motors, hacker motors, XPWR motors, etc?
Oct 05, 2017, 11:21 AM
Will there be an upgrade price for owners of 7.5?
Oct 05, 2017, 03:22 PM
Lands With Force
KE Ryan, do you guys have any plans to add things that perhaps an FPV wing pilot might like? Usually we have a bit larger courses than the quad guys, as well as a bit larger gates too. Other than that, Im looking forward to getting my hands on RF8 and some VR goggles