HobbyKing Refines the H-King Bixler 2 - RC Groups

HobbyKing Refines the H-King Bixler 2

The HobbyKing Bixler has long been a favorite plane for its great flying characteristics for beginners and FPV pilots alike. Now they have a new version with some great improvements.

Splash

The Bixler 2 Gets a New Look and Improved Features

The HobbyKing Bixler has long been a favorite plane for its great flying characteristics for beginners and FPV pilots alike. We have to give a nod to the Multiplex EasyStar that decades ago gave birth to this style of foamie. This new version of the Bixler 2 brings some great improvements to the platform and it's available in ARF or PNP form. The plane is made from EPO foam and everything is already installed at the factory. The wings plug in so you can take them off easily if needed for travel. With the new larger canopy area, you can fit in a larger range of batteries or more easily fit your FPV gear. It has built in pre-hinged flaps so you can add your own servos to make them functional and get even slower flight speeds and shorter landings.

The tail section has been redesigned and allows the use of a lower kv brushless motor with a larger prop that provides more thrust and much longer flight times. That's a huge bonus when learning to fly or when you are having too much fun FPVing. There several other changes like a larger wing, better cooling and a landing skid that make this the best Bixler yet. When I saw the announcement I was sure this was going to be around $150 or more, but man the PNP version is only $88.19, incredible!

Check out the H-King Bixler 2 at HobbyKing

Features:

• Easy, Fast and Simple Assembly
  • New Larger Canopy area to accommodate FPV equipment and/or larger flight battery
  • Pre-Installed Servo's & Brushless Motor
  • Larger Wing Span for greater glide & Payload Carrying Capability
  • Bigger air inlet to keep the motor cool.
  • Plastic Landing Skid
  • New, lower KV Brushless Motor/larger Prop Combo for Greater Efficiency
  • Pre-Installed Optional Flaps Mounted on Plastic Hinges (require Servos for operation - not included)
  • Plug In Wings for Easy Transportation
  • Pre-Installed Round Pin Hinges on Rudder & Elevator

Specs:

• Material: EPO Foam
  • Wingspan: 1500mm
  • Length: 963mm
  • Flying Weight: 760g
  • ESC: 20A
  • Motor: 2620-1300KV Brushless Outrunner
  • Servo: 4 x 9g
  • Prop: 7x5

Oct 05, 2017, 03:51 AM
Looks like the older Bixler 2 with new decals and a solid foam canopy. Any other changes? Thanks.

Actually, the Bixler 2 was always my favourite Bixler (I've owned/flown V1.0, 1.1, 2, and 3's) for FPV so I'm glad to see it re-introduced. I have just ordered a nice new one. Cheers.
Last edited by TomC; Oct 05, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 01:53 PM
Too noisy. My mine gripe about most FPV planes.
Oct 05, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerjohn
Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean.
Oct 05, 2017, 04:51 PM
I have the Bixler 2 KIT and the new refined Bixler 2 seems to be exactly the same airframe, except the refined Bixler has a opaque canopy and different graphics.

What have been refined or improved?
Oct 05, 2017, 05:53 PM
I thought the idea was that the motor is mounted higher so you can have a bigger prop.
Oct 05, 2017, 05:58 PM
Both the Bix2 and Bix3 are higher mounted motors to allow for bigger props. These come with a 7 inch prop while the older Bix1 and Bix1.1 both come with a 6 inch prop.

Edit; actually I think I recall that the Bix1 also came with a 5-inch prop. I seem to remember that this was a very noisy at anything above 50% throttle. About the same as an HK Funfighter imho.
Last edited by TomC; Oct 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 06:48 PM
Hobbyking.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
I have the Bixler 2 KIT and the new refined Bixler 2 seems to be exactly the same airframe, except the refined Bixler has a opaque canopy and different graphics.

What have been refined or improved?
The main change is the in the power system. Better motor and ESC combo based on customer feedback

Ian
Oct 05, 2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks Ian
Oct 05, 2017, 11:59 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerjohn
The only way to get a quieter plane is to go with a twin.

Pushers are always and will always be loud. A twin or a pod puller might be better for you, but a pod pusher or any pusher is going to be really loud.
Oct 11, 2017, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
The only way to get a quieter plane is to go with a twin.

Pushers are always and will always be loud. A twin or a pod puller might be better for you, but a pod pusher or any pusher is going to be really loud.
Ya, my Multiplex brushless TwinStar 2 (w/ 2x 8x5 props btw) is a bit quieter and has that beautiful twin-sound! It's also nice to be able to program the motors for differential throttle (= lots of Yaw control!).

Maybe some time in the future HK will come out with a twin-motor Bixler. Here's my TS2 on floats. It's a great floatplane and with packing tape on the bottom of the floats it taxi's and takes off from my flying club's grass strip no problem. Also, with diff throttle (I can turn this on/off with a mix switch) you do not need a water-rudder when taxiing on the water. Sorry to get a bit off topic. I just got my nice new Bix2 today so I will post how I make out with it this weekend;
Oct 11, 2017, 01:51 AM
great plane.it comes almost ready to fly.works perfectly,machine with high precision.worked great on my bix2. very good product. easy to fly and really nice video i really like it.
Oct 13, 2017, 04:36 PM
I maidened my nice new Bix2 PNP a few days ago.It fFlew fine, pretty well same as my old Bix2 (no big surprise!). With a 3s2200 pack it was no hotliner with unlimited vertical performance, but it was still quite adequate. It took ~10-15sec to climb to ~100m.

The only 2 problems I had with my new PNP were;

- the stock 7x5 prop is poor quality imho and it was very hard to balance properly. I will replace this with a much better quality APC 7x5e prop.

- the new decals are very nice but they do not provide any structural strength like regular mylar decals. After a couple of loops, the outer end of the wing spar'cover (on both wings) broke through the black bottom decals. They are thin/rubbery and are very easy to peel off. No big deal, I just peeled off the rest of these and used some white coloured reinforced duct tape to secure the spar/cover. Then I added added 3x black stripes with black coloured reinforced duct tape.

Another complaint is that both aileron servo arm holes installed on my PNP were too large so there was lots of slop. The easy fix for me was to just go in one hole on each servo arm and carefully enlargen it just enough to insert the z-link.

Also, it would have been nice to have had the rudder control tube/wire aligned so it could go directly to the rudder horn. As it is, you need to do a couple of bends in order to avoid rubbing against the stab and getting it to properly line up with the rudder control horn.

The air intake hole on the front of the Fuz collects a lot of grass/dirt and directs this into your battery area. I found it best to cover this hole and add a couple of front/side cheek-holes.

Of course, you should also add little keeper bands (I just use a short piece of silicon tubing) to help secure all control clevis links.

The new silver coloured canopy is not solid foam btw. Underneath the silver plastic cover, it's the same as the original Bix2. I like the look of the new one though, including the new decal colours.

Overall, I am happy with my new Bix2 pnp, esp given it's low price. Cheers.
Last edited by TomC; Oct 16, 2017 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added a few details