Two Month Old GT Eight issue - RC Groups
Oct 03, 2017, 07:31 PM
I have no friends
Discussion

Two Month Old GT Eight issue

Bought a GT Eight on sale from the Singapore warehouse just before the US sale started. Used it for the two months charging and discharging with no issues except the scroll button sticks when depressed, until tonight.

Powered it up and there is a beep, screen lights up, but no text and no response to anything. If I leave it plugged in for a few minutes it will beep and the fans will spin up for a second and then half the screen looks similar to a QR Code. Still nothing.

Update utility doesn't see it at all. No go there.

Disappointing and hopefully easily resolved. I left a phone message with the support number but hoping someone here may have seen it and may know what is up.

Thoughts?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2017, 09:15 PM
It looks to me like an internal connection issue between the main board and the LCD panel. If you have the tools, you can try opening up the charger and check if the LCD is seated properly. Sometimes, unscrewing the LCD screws and re-screwing them fixes the issue. If it does not, or if you wish to return the unit for us to remedy, let me know and I will ask the local tech support to help.
Oct 04, 2017, 05:06 PM
I have no friends
Let me amend my post.

Power it up, there is NOT a beep, my mistake. Leaving it on for a bit it will beep, fans spin for a second, and the garbled screen. Leaving it on longer, screen goes blank again. So it seems that it isn't the screen.

I called the support line last night and left a message and tried again this afternoon but it was after working hours.

Need to return it for repair or replacement please.
Oct 04, 2017, 05:22 PM
I have no friends
One more update. If I wait until the beep and launch the firmware update utility it will see the charger. I was able to upgrade to all the available versions of firmware and during the process the screen would stay lit up but go blank. After the upgrade was complete the utility would no longer see the charger and it still wouldn't operate.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:34 AM
I have no friends
Spoke to Howard at support on the phone and he says it is a bad microprocessor and the charger needs to be replaced by sales.

Sales is out of the office this week so I will have to try next week.
Oct 06, 2017, 05:31 PM
I have no friends
Got an email from Cindy, RMA time.