This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 03, 2017, 03:46 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Data

Multiplex FunCub XL!

If you don't have a Multiplex FunCub XL then you really are missing out on an airframe that is just silly fun to fly- big emphasis on the word FUN! I have been having an absolute BLAST with mine and it's just about al all stock, out of the box, RR. Normally I'm a giant scale pilot but this Cub has really changed my pace up lately and brought my interest right to it. There are a few things that I have done to get better performance out of it that I'd like to discuss, it has really changed how the thing flies and feels in the air.

1. I added a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC set to 6.5 volts. This voltage will not hurt the HS-225BB servos the aircraft comes with, but it will give the airplane a more responsive and crisp feeling in the air since the servos now have additional speed and torque.

This was soldered in line on the battery leads on the ESC- I simply soldered the positive and negative leads onto the battery connector. With the BEC installed like this, power will be applied to the receiver and servos at the same time the battery is plugged into the airplane. I chose the CC 10 amp BEC because it's small and lightweight, yet provides ample power and voltage to all of the servos- I can run 8+ servos on this airplane under full load and not tax the BEC.

The stock ESC's BEC provides roughly 5.5 volts to the servos with 5 amps of power available. This is ample power for all 8 HS-225BB servos the airplane needs to have all functions and controls (at roughly 600mah running current under load), but again my reasoning for using the Castle BEC is to get more voltage to the servos- this is in no way mandatory.

2. APC 15x4E propeller. If you like to fly at higher throttle settings and have more aggressive throttle use like I do then propping down is a great way to reduce the current loads on the motor and ESC yet still provide plenty of thrust for flight, especially in hotter weather.

The 15x4E has proven to perform great with the stock power system on the recommended 6S 3200 battery and it's what I switch to on hotter days to ensure nothing overheats. The battery has never come down more than warm to the touch with this prop. Vertical performance will lack compared to the stock 15x8 propeller but as long as you enter into the element with speed it'll pull through. I was seeing 6-8 minutes of flight time with this prop and aggressive throttle use.

3. Stock control horn locations. Since this is setup, out of the box, as a Cub airplane, the control throws are fairly moderate which means you're missing out on some of the aircraft's performance potential. It is a clipped wing cub with a short fuselage which means it can really be wound out for some awesome aerobatics.

Move the swivel pushrod connector to the control horn hole closest to the control surface, picture above by the red arrow, and make sure your control rods are in the servo arm hole furthest away from the servo. Crisp snaps, endless knife edge, flat spins- all are possible with this airplane and increased control throws. It really woke this airplanes performance potential up and makes it excel in the air!

I am continually exploring the capabilities of my FunCub XL, so far I have not found much it doesn't do well (for example, rolling harriers, or inverted harriers it just does not do) but there is a wide performance envelope with this airplane that makes it so attractive to pilots like myself. The big tundra tires make light work of rough surfaces like dirt, gravel, grass, even rock! And the huge barn door style flaps give the airplane the ability to jump into the air in mere feet, not to mention slow to a crawl on landing from vertical dives.

FunCub XL Aerobatics (3 min 51 sec)

Normally I would take a smaller 3D airplane with me wherever I go but lately I've been way more enthusiastic about taking the FunCub XL along for the ride since it can takeoff and land in smaller areas and breaks down easily thanks to removable wing panels.

You can purchase your FunCub XL through the Weekender Warehouse, we stock a full line of replacement parts for the airplane and it is offered in 2 versions: A KIT for those who would like to build their own airplane and outfit it with their choice of electronics and their own desired color scheme, or an RR version which comes 95% assembled in the box and includes 6, Hitec HS-225BB servos, a powerful Permax brushless outrunner motor, and a MULTICont brushless speed controller.

Click the banner below to order yours today!

And for FunCub XL owners in the Continental US

Last edited by Xpress..; Nov 20, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2017, 06:25 AM
into the wild blue yonder
I fly a regular Fun Cub and like you I just love it. Wished I had the XL it looks great.
Oct 04, 2017, 02:27 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Boy
I fly a regular Fun Cub and like you I just love it. Wished I had the XL it looks great.
I've flown a number of the original FunCub's in various setups, even my stock FunCub RR, but I can tell you it just doesn't have the performance potential that the FunCub XL does. If you like the way the FunCub flies but want more out of it then you will love the way the FunCub XL flies. The RR may be on the pricey side at $399.99 US but it is so worth it, it's just so incredibly capable out of the box.

I have a Multiplex Wingstabi gyro that I've been meaning to do some experimentation with in the FunCub XL but the flight performance of the airplane is great out of the box, there hasn't been much incentive for me to actually try it.
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec

Quick Reply