removing Paint from canopy - RC Groups
Oct 03, 2017, 07:40 AM
Discussion

removing Paint from canopy

I have a kit that someone painted the canopy black. Anyone know of a good method for stripping the paint off without damage to the canopy?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2017, 09:06 AM
I would buy a new canopy before I tried to tackle that job. However, if you still want to give it a shot; any type of thinner will wreck it. You could try sanding it off with very fine sandpaper (I'd go wet). That will get it off but it will leave scratches. The scratches might be able to be filled with a clear coat of paint, maybe. I have a small piece of 2,000 grit wet that might work. Add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid to the water and say a prayer before you start sanding.

If it's painted on the inside of the canopy, I'd forget it altogether. You could also paint it a different color. I've seen a few planes done that way (pattern planes, usually) and they look cool.

carl
Oct 06, 2017, 08:02 AM
A lot of work, but it may be possible to save your kit part.

Try soaking the entire thing in alcohol. 90% strength. At least over night, What you are looking for is a small chip or wrinkle in the paint. Anything that might indicate a breaking of the bond between the paint and the plastic. If a chips or wrinkles appears then start pushing the paint off the plastic with wooden stick, sharpened (carved only! sanding can embed scratchy prticles) to chisel point. BTW flexing the canopy as much as you dare prior to soaking, may help.

A less ambitious route. Y ou might also wax the inside surface and then fill the existing canopy with Plaster of Paris . When hard, remove the old canopy from your new master. Now plunge or vac-form a new one, over the "perfect" plug.
Oct 07, 2017, 07:41 PM
Pfft! I would 1st try using some sticky tape, press it down good then rip the tape off quickly.
Oct 25, 2017, 11:00 PM
Good one!
Oct 28, 2017, 07:03 PM
Any scratches can be filled by dipping/coating the canopy with Future floor wax. The question is whether the material is thick enough to withstand mechanical removal of the paint.
If you have access to any pre-2016 Pine-Sol you could try soaking the canopy.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:47 AM
Worst case, sand off paint using 600, grit sandpaper with windex as a lubricant. Next step wet sand again with 1200 grit to remove scratches. next step buy a can of clear lacquer and spray 3 coats. let dry 24 hours between coats and lightly sand with 1200. Spray the 4th coat and the canopy will look like a million dollars. After the paint has been dry a month, use some car polish then wax it. The canopy will reflect light from a mile away.