Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 18, 2017, 11:07 AM
is the 4 inch good for freestyle
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2017, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmox
4" in general on any frame is best for racing. You can't reliably run a gopro on a 4".
Oct 18, 2017, 01:18 PM
Both the 5” and 4” are complete monsters. The 4” is my favorite at the moment. I’m thinking of trying the 6”. The Merica is just unbeatable!
Oct 18, 2017, 01:49 PM
for carring a gopro the 5" is recommended or bigger.
Oct 18, 2017, 02:19 PM
JefFPV
I have found the Merica 5" to be a lot more durable than first expected. Even without running the front arm brace it is still yet to break an arm. Although I am going to start using it again bc I have found that the arm brace protects the canopy along with the camera well in the event the gate hits dead center. Which I have been doing a lot lately.
Oct 18, 2017, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmox
If you're not planning to use a GoPro or similar, the 4" is a fantastic machine; it keeps the battery a bit cheaper than 5" and have a momentum that is unmatched due to the increased mass of the frame/electronics.
If you plan to use a GoPro, 5" is the machine to use.
The magic of the Merica is its light weight and centralization of mass close to center allowing you to have something still relatively well balanced with around 80g on top of the frame with a 1300/1500mA 4S pack.
I love both; the 4" is perfect for tight tracks and pure fun racing or freestyle and the 5" is a beast in both racing or freestyle due to its very low weight.

My suggestion, by both, frames are cheap compare to other companies and by 1 pod. If you plan your build properly, you will be able to switch pod with FC, VTx and FPV camera from 1 frame to the other by unplugging 1 cable and removing 4 screws ! Best of both worlds and if parts needed, they are all at the same place.

Hope this helps in your decision, whatever you decide, have fun !
Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
If you're not planning to use a GoPro or similar, the 4" is a fantastic machine; it keeps the battery a bit cheaper than 5" and have a momentum that is unmatched due to the increased mass of the frame/electronics.
If you plan to use a GoPro, 5" is the machine to use.
The magic of the Merica is its light weight and centralization of mass close to center allowing you to have something still relatively well balanced with around 80g on top of the frame with a 1300/1500mA 4S pack.
I love both; the 4" is perfect for tight tracks and pure fun racing or freestyle and the 5" is a beast in both racing or freestyle due to its very low weight.

My suggestion, by both, frames are cheap compare to other companies and by 1 pod. If you plan your build properly, you will be able to switch pod with FC, VTx and FPV camera from 1 frame to the other by unplugging 1 cable and removing 4 screws ! Best of both worlds and if parts needed, they are all at the same place.

Hope this helps in your decision, whatever you decide, have fun !
thanks I had just been planning to use it as a fun flyer, so it sounds like it would work great for that.
Oct 21, 2017, 12:58 PM
Here is the 6" Merica. Pure beast mode.
Oct 21, 2017, 11:54 PM
Aerial Appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981
I have found the Merica 5" to be a lot more durable than first expected. Even without running the front arm brace it is still yet to break an arm. Although I am going to start using it again bc I have found that the arm brace protects the canopy along with the camera well in the event the gate hits dead center. Which I have been doing a lot lately.
Yeah, another reason to run the brace is to prevent the screws that hold the arms from bending. I had a fun time getting them out haha. Now I always run the brace!
Oct 22, 2017, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine
Here is the 6" Merica. Pure beast mode.
How well do those EFAW motors run on 6s with 6"? I thought about building that same build, but I read alot of disappointing reviews on the EFAW motors, quality control issues mainly...
Oct 22, 2017, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb777
How well do those EFAW motors run on 6s with 6"? I thought about building that same build, but I read alot of disappointing reviews on the EFAW motors, quality control issues mainly...
EFAW motors work fabulous on 6s. They are really designed for higher voltage. Many people have run them at 6s with great results. The quality issues gave them a bad name from their batch 2 sets of those motors. They have since been corrected with batch 3.

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com...-2500kv-2800kv
Oct 22, 2017, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine
EFAW motors work fabulous on 6s. They are really designed for higher voltage. Many people have run them at 6s with great results. The quality issues gave them a bad name from their batch 2 sets of those motors. They have since been corrected with batch 3.

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com...-2500kv-2800kv
Since you have flown both these EFAW motors, and the newer rebel motors, which ones do you prefer on 6s?
Oct 22, 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb777
Since you have flown both these EFAW motors, and the newer rebel motors, which ones do you prefer on 6s?
Never tried the Rebel's on 6s but they are top notch. Imagine they would do great.
Oct 24, 2017, 12:30 AM
Does and emax magnum fit under the pod?

I ordred the 5 inch and cznt wait to start the build
Oct 24, 2017, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbob
Does and emax magnum fit under the pod?

I ordred the 5 inch and cznt wait to start the build
The Merica is designed to split up the FC from the ESC. Here is the manual. You might want to join our facebook group and ask if anyone has used that Magnum on it before.

Our FB group is actually where the bulk of conversation around our machines happens.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1161267180583986/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...30611061965122