Merica FPV Frames - Catalyst Machineworks - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 07, 2017, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Brilliant work, Maurice! I love the staggered arm design, and how the 4-in-1 ESC mounts between the center plates! Makes me wonder if we could squeeze a KISS CC or HGLRC Zeus in there...

And of course: Merica, F*ck Yeah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk
haha that movie is so epic and part of the inspiration (obviously) for our marketing. Thanks for the kind words on our design. I do know the KISS CC will fit. However, I wonder about that HGLRC Zeus. That thing is HUGE. Its got more real estate than Tom Cruiz's mansion.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 05:01 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine
haha that movie is so epic and part of the inspiration (obviously) for our marketing.
Glad to hear the movie was part of the inspiration! Some people take their patriotism too seriously, and don't appreciate cheap slapstick humor. So I was somewhat hesitant to post. Haven't seen it (in full) in years. Probably should put in on my "to watch" list, now that days are getting shorter again.

Quote:
I do know the KISS CC will fit.
That is awesome! Makes me want to build one. But I have to much unbuilt stuff piled up on my desk right now. Hopefully I can make some progress with my "build queue" over winter.

Question for clarification: The Merica is only available in a "stretched X" layout, there is no "true X" version, right?

Quote:
However, I wonder about that HGLRC Zeus. That thing is HUGE. Its got more real estate than Tom Cruiz's mansion.
ROTFL!

Actually, the HGLRC Zeus is more like Tom Cruise himself. It's smaller than it looks!

The Zeus has a 20x20mm mounting pattern, not 30.5x30.5mm. So it looks big if you don't have the right frame of reference. Overall size is only 35x32mm. For comparison, the KISS CC measures 35x42mm (minus cut corners). That said, if the CC will fit, I'd pick that over the Zeus any day!
Oct 08, 2017, 11:04 AM
Merica Session Mount Canopy preorder is OPEN! First come first serve guys. These take hours to print per order so make your order early.

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com...-30-50-degrees

https://www.wevideo.com/view/985676399
Oct 09, 2017, 01:08 AM
Hi guys,

Is the RaceFlight Revolt/Bolt combo a good fit for the merica 5”?

Thanks
Oct 09, 2017, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon1961
Hi guys,

Is the RaceFlight Revolt/Bolt combo a good fit for the merica 5”?

Thanks
We have tested that combo in the Merica 5 and it works great. We were worried that large ESC wouldn't fit down in the lower bay but it does!

Neill
Oct 11, 2017, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystmachine
We have tested that combo in the Merica 5 and it works great. We were worried that large ESC wouldn't fit down in the lower bay but it does!

Neill
Thanks.

A few more questions.

If using an Asgard FC, mounting it in the lower bay, how does one get the benefit of soft mounting? Is there enough room for soft mount standoff’s?

I’m considering the thicker arm option, does that open up a bit more space in the lower bay?
Oct 11, 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon1961
Thanks.

A few more questions.

If using an Asgard FC, mounting it in the lower bay, how does one get the benefit of soft mounting? Is there enough room for soft mount standoff’s?

I’m considering the thicker arm option, does that open up a bit more space in the lower bay?
If you use an asgard you won't get the soft mount ability. I think you will be fine though...Also we are moving away from 6mm arms and not suggesting them to customers anymore on the 5". Only the 6". Here is why:

After further crash testing we have found out 6mm arms don't increase the crash toughness quite like we thought from our first set of crash tests. Actually, 5mm arms end up working out better. I know this may sound counter intuitive. What happens with the 6mm arms in the current design of the frame is a very hard crash may not break the arm however, the force has to go somewhere so it ends up traveling to the inner plates and can end up breaking the lower 2mm center plate. Trust me, you don't want that place breaking... If something is going to break you WANT it to be the arm. Arm takes a few minutes to replace and you are back in the air. Center plate is a full teardown. We have found that with 5mm arms and a brace on front and rear the craft is already surprisingly tough.

In order for those 6mm thick arms to work correctly we need to change the 2mm lower plate to 3mm thick. This is something we may consider in the future as an upgrade or something but that bring with it a whole new set of issues since the current screws won't be long enough...

So yeah..stick with 5mm arms.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:30 AM
Guys I'm loving this frame! I love the fact that the pod is removable with the FC, Rx, VTX, and camera and I can just plop it on another base and it's ready to go. You can really feel the aerodynamic difference with the design as well. It turns sharper and feels faster! I crashed the heck out of it too and so far only broken a screw and lost an arm spacer. The arm and plates are super tough! I would recommend getting extra spacers and hardware when you order just to be safe as well as a couple of extra arms. Here's my build spec:

Merica 5" frame
Matek F405 FC
Multicopter Builders Primo 2207 2450kv
Spedix 30a 4in1
TBS Unify Pro Race
Runcam Micro 2.1 Lens
Gemfan 5152 3 blades
270g dry

This has put my other builds on the back burner for now because it's such a fun rig to fly and it's so easy to fly at that. Great design! Great job Catalyst...you knocked it out of the park on this one!!
Oct 17, 2017, 09:40 AM
Really been loving mine, I got the 5 inch a few weeks back, loved it so much I went ahead and built a 4in version with the new Naked bottom Catalyst 1407 motors, and that thing is a complete blast to fly. These things are awesome! If your on the fence on this one, jump in head first, you wont regret it!
Oct 17, 2017, 09:43 AM
So I decided to grab this design after wanting to move away from the fl**s, and now I can say that this frame tracks so much better was a breeze to tune and Im glad I made the switch.

Setup on both are:
Runcam micro
Hobbywing stack
2205 mid kv
Tbs unify race

The Props of choice for me is the dal 5045c and the new 5051c. RK 5046 props are pictured but they do not suit my flying style. The 5051c are not very durable but holy.....the acceleration is insane. Motors dont get any warmer than with the 5045c. I over shot many turns with the 5051c, so went back to the 5045c.

It is a little tight to build but that may depend on your FC and esc of choice. The hobbywing will not fit in the stacked configuration, but if you use the included wiring harness it will work.

You wont be dissapointed with your purchase.
Oct 17, 2017, 09:51 AM
Yes, yes, yes! This is by far my most favorite frame!
Oct 17, 2017, 12:02 PM
Awwww you guys are great. Thanks for all the kind words on our new design. I offer an internet "bro hug".
Oct 17, 2017, 12:31 PM
Cleanest mist attention to detail and presentation of a build ive seen, glad i devided to have mine built by Catalyst Machine Works and John Strout made me a work of art and mission to put same attention in my own future builds.
Oct 17, 2017, 06:19 PM
Awesome frame, can't wait to get mine
Oct 18, 2017, 10:59 AM
Its on like donkey kong SON. Merica 6" and EFAW 2500KV. Hope to have this build rapped up by tomorrow. This is a GoPro hauling long range SOB right here.