Merica FPV Frames - Catalyst Machineworks - RC Groups
Oct 02, 2017, 07:30 AM
New Product

Merica FPV Frames - Catalyst Machineworks

Introducing "The Merica" FPV Racer (28 min 1 sec)

We have a brand new line of frames available to fit prop sizes from 3" all the way up to 6". These have been in production now for a number of weeks and rapidly became our best selling design to date. If you haven't heard of or seen the Merica at your local race club, don't worry you will soon enough...! Below is the content of our product page for the 5" version of the frame. To see information and specs for the 3", 4" or 6" visit our website:

https://www.catalystmachineworks.com/collections/frames

WHY DID WE DECIDE TO CALL THIS PINNACLE OF FPV RACING TECHNOLOGY THE "MERICA"? BECAUSE CATALYST MACHINEWORKS IS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE BASED IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON PLANET EARTH. ARE WE RIDICULOUSLY PROUD OF THE USA? HECK YEAH WE ARE! CAN YOU SMELL ALL THAT FREEDOM AND LIBERTY? SMELLS DELICIOUS, LIKE APPLE PIES AND HOT DOGS! THANKS TO ALL OUR US MILITARY SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN WHO FIGHT TO KEEP US FREE. SOME OF WHICH HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT US. THIS FRAME WAS NAMED IN YOUR HONOR.

THE 'MERICA WAS BORN DIRECTLY FROM CUSTOMER FEEDBACK AND OUR OWN INTERNAL RACE PILOT TESTING AND REQUESTS. WE ACTUALLY LISTEN TO PILOT FEEDBACK AND IMPLEMENT SOME OF THOSE IDEAS INTO OUR DESIGNS. THIS MACHINE HAS SOME VERY UNIQUE AND INNOVATIVE PILOT INSPIRED FEATURES BUILT IN.

LIGHT WEIGHT:
Dry frame weight with all included fasteners and canopy comes to only 62g.

QUICK CHANGE MODULAR ARMS:
The Merica's arms are removable. They are held to the center fuselage by two screws. Field removal is super fast and can be completed within 5 minutes. Simply remove the outer screw, loosen the inner screw, remove the motor, and the arm is off.

AFFORDABLE FRAME PRICING:
At only $69.99 (after canopy purchase) you are getting a TON of features and racer inspired technology. You get what you pay for and MORE!

AFFORDABLE SPARE PARTS:
Replacement 5mm arms are only $4.50 each. Replacement 6mm arms are only $5.50 each.

LOW AERODYNAMIC DRAG:
This frame uses an aerodynamically efficient arm design that is thin without sacrificing crash durability. Standard with the kit are 5mm thick arms and optional 6mm thick arms can be be purchased as an upgrade. Arm design is not the only contributing factor for great aero. You also need a 'slippery' center fuselage that gives as little resistance to the oncoming air as possible. Merica's 'head' is a TPU canopy that is designed to have a very low drag coefficient.

BUILD IN FLIGHT CONTROLLER/CAMERA SOFT MOUNT:
The flight controller and FPV camera are mounted to the TPU canopy. You read that correct. The FC is NOT mounted to the carbon fiber frame. Mounting the FC to the TPU canopy means that any board you choose is soft mounted by default. The canopy is made of a flexible material and works to de-couple the board from the motors. The FPV camera is mounted at the top of the canopy. This mounting scenario helps to dampen vibration before it reaches your camera.

AMPLE SPACE TO FIT STANDARD SIZED COMPONENTS:
Plenty of space to fit 'standard sized' components with 30.5mm x 30.5mm mounting holes. 4-in-1 ESC's are ideal with this frame. AIO FC/ESC/PDB's such as the Asgard can be used as well. There are also 20mm x 20mm mounting holes for micro AIO ESC's, and with THIS adapter you can mount in a micro FC.

EXCELLENT CRASH DURABILITY:
The Merica comes standard with high quality 5mm thick arms with optional 6mm thick arms available for purchase. Carbon fiber grain direction in aligned with the length of the arm for maximum crash toughness and rigidity. The entire top section of the frame is a flexible TPU canopy. During a crash this structure will move and give instead of breaking like a carbon fiber top plate.

CLEAN AIR FOR THE REAR PROPS:
This frame takes the stretch X design even farther and staggers the front and rear arms with respect to each other. The front arms sit at a lower elevation than the rear which helps to get more 'clean air' to the rear props.

***Please note electronics are not included with this frame. Electronics are sold separately***

SPECS:
62 grams (with canopy and fasteners)
Carbon Fiber: Twill Weave 3K Matte
Canopy Material: TPU (multiple colors available - sold separate)
Standard CF Arm Thickness: 5mm
Optional CF Arm Thickness: 6mm (sold separately)
Top CF Sandwich Plate: 3mm
Bottom CF Sandwich Plate: 2mm
Frame Type: XL (with staggered arms front to rear)
Frame Size: 200mm
Camera Angle Range: 10 - 75 degrees
Motors supported: 22xx, 23xx, 24xx or similar
Lipos supported: 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s
Lipo mounting position: Bottom
Prop Size: 5 inch
Fastener Material: Aircraft Grade 7075
Fastener Color: Black (red and blue fasteners sold separately HERE)
Ideal ESC: 4-in-1 design with 30.5mm x 30.5mm M3 mounting holes
Ideal FC: 30.5mm x 30.5mm M3 mounting holes (micro FC can be used with THIS adapter)
Motor pad mounting holes: M3 screws on 16mm or 12mm mounting circles (frames shipped prior to 10-4-17)
Motor pad mounting holes: M3 screws on 16mm or 19mm mounting circles (frames shipped after 10-3-17)
Supported FPV Cameras: Runcam Swift Micro or Foxeer Arrow Micro
TPU canopy sold separate

Last edited by Catalystmachine; Oct 04, 2017 at 07:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2017, 09:00 AM

So sexy!!

I love the Catalyst Machineworks frames! Every one has such attention to detail. The Merica is definitely my new favorite frame!
Oct 02, 2017, 09:50 AM

Awesome Frame

Bought two of these frames for my son, he loves it. He maiden it this weekend. Maiden Video:
Merica Frame Maiden (0 min 43 sec)

From his reaction after flight and seeing how well the quad handled i bought two more for myself.
Oct 02, 2017, 10:00 AM

Merica Rips!

I've got 2- 4" Mericas and they are the best race quad I've flown. Loved the last 2 race versions but this one is just on a different level.
Oct 02, 2017, 10:11 AM

Merica Because Freedom Isn't Free

Awesome frame, i bought two for my son and he loves it. I just bought two more this morning. Really enjoyed the frame and how it flys. Here is a short clip of my sons Merica Maiden flight.
Merica Frame Maiden (0 min 43 sec)
Oct 02, 2017, 11:07 AM
Flying my Merica 5" prototype since August.
So far I broke 1 arm due to repeated impacts at high speed.
Set-up:
2205-2300Kv
Cicada 35A
XM+
Foxeer F303
Micro Swift
VTx03
Cyclone 5046

Weight without pack is 227g

Racing Training (1 min 43 sec)
Oct 02, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm building a 4" one now... I also built a 4" Japalura that weighs in at about 230g (complete with run cam split) and have really enjoyed the power/weight combo of a 4" with light 1407 motors, and am hoping to see an even lighter build with the 'mercia. All I need now is a canopy that can accept the split...
Oct 02, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdev
I'm building a 4" one now... I also built a 4" Japalura that weighs in at about 230g (complete with run cam split) and have really enjoyed the power/weight combo of a 4" with light 1407 motors, and am hoping to see an even lighter build with the 'mercia. All I need now is a canopy that can accept the split...
Canopy won't accept the split as it was designed for the micro swift or foxeer micro.
Oct 02, 2017, 04:13 PM
Nice to see a thread for the ‘Mercia here!

I got mine all finished and flew a few packs. I love it so far. I’m gonna need a few more packs to get confortable with it, it’s the fastest thing I’ve ever flown. Can’t wait to get more air time with it.

I don’t have any pics with me but here are the specs:

5” ‘Mercia
Hobbywing f4 w/ AIO esc’s
Hypetlite V4 naked bottoms - 2206 / 2522 kv
TBS Unify race
Runcam Micro 2.5 lens
XSR

Not sure of the weight, don’t think it’s the lightest but it sure is fast.

Looking forward to seeing more builds...
Oct 02, 2017, 04:24 PM
By the way guys we are in the middle of prototyping a GoPro Session mount for this bird. Same setup will fit all sizes of the frame from 3" up to 6". Not that you would strap a session to a 3" but hey I have seen crazier things. Here is a video from today's test of the prototype mount / canopy.

https://www.wevideo.com/view/982010423
Oct 02, 2017, 08:14 PM
JefFPV
Just built mine a couple weeks ago. Have to say the build was simple and I love the layout. When all said and done weight without battery was 230g. Compared to what I was flying before that's almost half. This thing fly's on rails and is a rocket ship. Actually think f40III are to much motor but I'm loving it. Great job guys!!!
Oct 03, 2017, 08:03 AM

Merica F#@$ yeah

Love my 5" Merica. Build was super easy with the downloadable step by step instructions, even for a noob like myself. Best flying quad I've ever flown. I like it so much I've ordered a second one. The folks at catalyst machineworks took time to answer all my questions and helped point me in the right direction for my build. They really do have the best customer service out there.

Merica 5"
Raceflight revolt v2
Tbs unify hv
Speedix 30a 4in1
Foxeer micro
Catalyst machineworks 2205 2600kv motor
Dal cyclone 5046
Spektrum quad race rx
Last edited by SkullNDrones; Oct 03, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Oct 04, 2017, 07:11 AM
PSA FOR THE MERICA 5": This frame is back in stock and shipping beginning today. As always we continue to improve our products and make changes based on our own testing and customer input/requests. We have updated the arm and arm brace design to accept motors using mounting screws existing at both 16mm and 19mm diameter, not just 16mm. So this means all frames shipped starting TODAY receive this new design. Please be aware we will not exchange out parts if you have the old design. Sorry, but that is the price of progress! However, the new design parts are available in our spare parts section.
Oct 05, 2017, 04:13 PM
Got some pics completed of our 3" Merica, which can also fit 3.5" props I will point out!
Oct 07, 2017, 02:47 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Brilliant work, Catalyst Machine! (Edit: Apologies for mixing you up with Maurice from Space Cowboy Designs before. My memory is like a sieve. )

I love the staggered arm design, and how the 4-in-1 ESC mounts between the center plates! Makes me wonder if we could squeeze a KISS CC or HGLRC Zeus in there...

And of course: Merica, F*ck Yeah!!!

AMERICA F*#K YEAH! MUSIC VIDEO - Team America World Police THEME SONG (3 min 0 sec)
Last edited by Brainstorm; Oct 11, 2017 at 08:01 PM.