T-28 Trojan 1200mm - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 11, 2017, 05:32 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB

Step 5

Nose wheel mount.
This required a lot of thinking, measuring, gluing, etc... but I'm quite pleased with the end result.
The mount is basically a box 54mm wide by 148mm long, with a slot at the bottom reinforced with 2 plywood sheets to hold the retract mount.
The retract mount itself is a plastic part that I designed and 3d printed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2574073).
I'm into 3D printing parts these days, but I could easily have done this plywood, too.
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Oct 11, 2017 at 05:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 06:04 AM
This is looking amazing! What is the yellow foam you are using?
Oct 11, 2017, 07:00 AM
Thanks! It's insulation foam, the brand is Knauff and I get it at Bunnings in Oz.
It is basically XPS (extruded polystyrene).
Oct 12, 2017, 01:09 AM

Step 6

Glue fuselage halves together.
First, prepared servo trays and pushrod snakes.
Then, cut cockpit area to accommodate pilots and canopy.
And finally, glued both halves together.
Oct 12, 2017, 03:18 AM
Warbirds Lover
Great job Mario,

A question : Do you have an idea of the actual weight of your fuselage please ?

It seems that your fuselage sides are thicker than the one i use to cut on my models (mine are 6mm thick at max in front of the fuselages and 3 or 4mm in the tail sections to save weight).

If it don't add too much weight, i think that your "thick wall" parts are a better idea because i guess it will facilitate the build of the wing saddle and may be also will avoid to have to use reinforcements here and there (for example, it seems that you don't use a wooden backbone in the middle of your fuselage).

Have a nice day !

Pascal
Oct 12, 2017, 04:36 AM
I just checked and it weighs exactly 170 grams.

I don't add any reinforcements or wooden backbone. It is pretty solid as it is (tested with the Critical Mass which went down a couple of times and had no serious damage).

How heavy is yours typically?
Oct 12, 2017, 07:03 AM
Warbirds Lover
Many Thanks for your answer Mario,

That's not heavy for a 1200mm wing span plane with a "fat" fuselage, imho.

To answer to your question : I found a picture of the weighing of my Me-109 when she was "bare foam" :
The total plane's weight was 66g. but my fuselage is only 59cm long for a 74cm wingspan plane so it would be very hard to compare because we would have to calculate the volume of foam of our fuselages and take into account the density of our foam too because they can be different...

I look forward the next steps with great interest !

Oct 15, 2017, 05:21 AM

Step 7

Glued wing sections together, sanded the cowl, glued retract mount, cut the hatch, and added magnets.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:53 PM
Warbirds Lover
That looks good !
Oct 20, 2017, 06:20 AM

Step 8

Sorted out all retracts and landing gear.
Cut control surfaces in wing.
Retracts location and LG wire lengths require quit a bit of engineering but I'm pretty happy with the result.
Oct 20, 2017, 08:05 PM
Lookin good!
Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Warbirds Lover
About your wheel wells : why not to cut some parts from thin cardboard or thick paper then glue them into your wheel wells using white glue or hot glue ? They will cover the scrapped foam and will add nearly nothing to the final all up weight (you even can print fake wing ribs or spars or anything you can find into the real Trojan's wheels wells on these paper pieces).

Have a nice week end and congrats fir the nice job !
Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Yes that's what I did with my Critical Mass recently, except that instead of paper or cardboard I used a very thin (0.5mm) piece of plastic that I printed on my 3D printer.
For this one I printed the bottom of the whell and a ring for the top, too.