T-28 Trojan 1200mm - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 06, 2017, 06:44 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB

Step 2

Hey guys,
I have now completed the second step which is hotwiring all the blocks using the templates.
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Oct 07, 2017 at 01:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2017, 07:54 AM
Thank you, Birdofplay, that works in DraftSight. All is there, except for the text. On the other hand, since I'm using this as a reference drawing in designing my own models, I guess I really don't need all the measurements via CAD. I can use the .png drawing and convert the metric measurements to English.

CD
Oct 06, 2017, 08:29 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi there,
I like a lot the way you build your fuselage ;-)

What is this kind of thin metal you use to build your bulkhead templates, please ?
Is it easy to cut ? (More than wood ?)

Thanks
Oct 07, 2017, 01:21 AM
It is aluminum flashing.
Crankster gave me the tip, he got it from some other guy.
It cuts with scissors just fine and provides a pretty smooth finish.
You should be able to find it in hardware stores.
Oct 08, 2017, 03:25 AM

Step 3

The dreaded sanding...
I hate sanding so much that I grabbed my little Ozito sanding machine and gave it a go.
What a great surprise! I managed to sand all the parts in no time!
The wings were pretty rough and it would have taken me quite a while to smooth them out, but the little Ozito did a great job.
It looks like I'll be using it more and more moving forward
Oct 08, 2017, 04:30 AM
Going back to the drawing board for designing where to put the nose wheel retract.
I got the HK 33mmx35mm nose wheel retract. It looks like I'll have to put plywood supports below the the motor mount to support the retract. With the retract mount right in the border between the cowl and section F1-F2 it should fit perfectly and scale.
Oct 08, 2017, 05:52 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Looking good .. .

What type of glue are you using to stick the blocks together?
Oct 08, 2017, 08:23 PM
Polyurethane glue, just in small quantities and towards the inner side so it doesnt foam out
Oct 09, 2017, 05:37 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Good stuff, does the hot wire snag on it?

In the past I have used the odd drop of hot glue to stick the templates on. Works ok, no snags 'cos the wire just melts through it. Bit of isopropyl alcohol shifts it off the foam when you have finished cutting
Oct 09, 2017, 05:42 AM

Step 4

Glue the fuselage sections together.
Tip: keep the inner parts of the cowl as they come handy for the nose retract support
Oct 09, 2017, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
Good stuff, does the hot wire snag on it?

In the past I have used the odd drop of hot glue to stick the templates on. Works ok, no snags 'cos the wire just melts through it. Bit of isopropyl alcohol shifts it off the foam when you have finished cutting
I use the polyurethane after hotwiring all the sections and simply to glue them together as you can see in the previous post.

I think you were referring to sticking templates to blocks? For that I use pins.
Oct 09, 2017, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48
Looking good .. .

What type of glue are you using to stick the blocks together?
Sorry I misunderstood your question...

Just to clarify things:
- For block preparation (i.e. before hotwiring) I use spray glue
- For sticking templates to blocks (for hotwiring) I use pins
- For fuselage sections (i.e. after hotwiring and for gluing the sections together) I use polyurethane

Sorry for the confusion
Oct 09, 2017, 06:52 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Gotcha..!!

Thought you meant PU for block preparation

Thanks !
Oct 09, 2017, 10:15 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thanks a lot for your answer Mario !

Nice to see that a sanding machine allows such a nice result, i will have to give it a try the next time i will build a hot wire cut fuselage :-)

@ Frank : I use thin double sided adhesive designed to fix carpet on the grounds to stick the templates to the foam blocs (just apply some little strips or square here and there behind the template if you want to remove them easily). It works well too.

If you want a glue that can be hot wire cut without too many problem : i tested the alyphatic glue (a copy of the famous 'tite bond'). It drys very fast on foam and if applied not too much glue (i.e. just the mount needed to fix the parts of foam), the hot wire achieve cut it once the glue dried.
Oct 09, 2017, 11:26 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Thanks for the tips guys.

This is one method of scratch building I have to try... maybe a winter project eh