1994 Xc - Viking Mk II - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2017, 07:26 PM
Discussion

1994 Xc - Viking Mk II

Hey guys,

I am in the process of converting some very old VHS tapes to digital format. So - the quality of the video is really poor at the moment.
Anyway, if you can stand to spend 20 minutes of your life on poor video, hopefully the tape will show the excitement of trying XC.

The glider is a Craft Air Viking "Gas Bag" floater. About 10 ounce wing loading. Definitely not a true XC ship.

Conditions were lousy - as we started way to late in the day. Even the "Hill" at launch had bad lift. Winds about 10 mph but very little thermal activity.

The goal was 5 miles down the hill into the wind - keeping sight of the glider going through the trees. And then thermal back downwind, up the hill, to the starting point.

Be warned - not to much to see for 20 minutes of your life - mainly headshots - as the glider was very hard to focus on in a moving vehicle.

The original tape was shot by a 30 pound shoulder SVHS "news camera" with no video stabilization. Then dubbed to VHS and now digital.

With that said - it was GREAT FUN!

Bouncing around in the back of a vehicle, keeping track of lift, and landing zones, is a very rewarding experience.

I do suggest - that anyone that has a safe place to give even a short XC flight - give it a try. Even 5 miles is enough to get you hooked.

Craft Air Viking Mk II Goes for a drive (20 min 7 sec)

Dave
Last edited by Daveairway; Oct 01, 2017 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2017, 09:24 PM
USA, SC, Lexington
Thanks for sharing Dave. Brings back memories of my first and only XC with a Dodson
Windsong. You are right, quite the challenge.