90mm Vampire F1. - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2017, 03:55 PM
Discussion

90mm Vampire F1.

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right section for this as nothing has actually been built yet but ive been juggling some ideas around for a while now with this project.

I absolutely love my durafly vampire. Its a few years old now and a little beat up. Ive always wished it was bigger for starters so rather than just buy a replacement I thought why not try build one that ticks all the boxes for everything I want.

I'm sort of at a cross roads with which direction to go now I have a fuselage drawn up in CAD. Its not finished yet as I still need to do the internal compartments for batteries/thrust tube etc. Its taken absolutely hours to get to this stage because of the fuz and intake shape being a pain in the rear end to get just right. One thing I hate about almost every vampire/venom model produced comercially is the intakes are frigging miles off either in size or shape and it just looks ridiculous as they're one of the most prominent features of the aircraft imo and it stands out like a sore thumb. The fuz also has a very distinct shape and isn't just cylindrical with a rounded nose! Hopefully ive captured it fairly well.

I originally planned to machine this in blue foam on a big router at work, do some final sanding when airfoils have been decided and then glass it. Wings and tail plane are going to be sheeted foam. 2 degrees of dihedral built into this fuz piece so no stress trying to build it into the wings.
Span will be 2m so hopefully will fly fairly nice on a decent 90mm setup if I can get it light enough. No rocket ship but the full size isn't exactly a missile!

Let me know what you think. Worth pulling the trigger and starting the project?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2017, 09:03 AM
SidGates
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz955
Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right section for this as nothing has actually been built yet but ive been juggling some ideas around for a while now with this project.

I absolutely love my durafly vampire. Its a few years old now and a little beat up. Ive always wished it was bigger for starters so rather than just buy a replacement I thought why not try build one that ticks all the boxes for everything I want.

I'm sort of at a cross roads with which direction to go now I have a fuselage drawn up in CAD. Its not finished yet as I still need to do the internal compartments for batteries/thrust tube etc. Its taken absolutely hours to get to this stage because of the fuz and intake shape being a pain in the rear end to get just right. One thing I hate about almost every vampire/venom model produced comercially is the intakes are frigging miles off either in size or shape and it just looks ridiculous as they're one of the most prominent features of the aircraft imo and it stands out like a sore thumb. The fuz also has a very distinct shape and isn't just cylindrical with a rounded nose! Hopefully ive captured it fairly well.

I originally planned to machine this in blue foam on a big router at work, do some final sanding when airfoils have been decided and then glass it. Wings and tail plane are going to be sheeted foam. 2 degrees of dihedral built into this fuz piece so no stress trying to build it into the wings.
Span will be 2m so hopefully will fly fairly nice on a decent 90mm setup if I can get it light enough. No rocket ship but the full size isn't exactly a missile!

Let me know what you think. Worth pulling the trigger and starting the project?
================================================== ==========================
I like your project. I recently bought a foam Venom and it flies very well. I have wished it was just a litle larger. At 2m span you will need to keep it very light for a 90mm fan. I am in the process of building a 3 Axis CNC machine with the idea of machining foam airplanes. My idea is different than I have seen. I will machine out the inside of the fuse, then lay in a light layer of fiber glass, then turn the foam block over and machine the outside., then glass the outside. Fuse would be done in two halves and then glued together before glassing the outside. I think this would result in a very light weight rigid fuse.

I hope you proceed wih your project.
Oct 02, 2017, 01:37 PM
Hey Sid sounds like we have some similar plans with regards construction. Plan on splitting the fuz horizontally, routing out the internal compartments then flipping the pieces over before the outside takes shape then join. Basically a double size version of what I already have in the durafly vamp just with a bit more attention to the outline.

Tricky part will be making the boom/wing interface plenty strong enough without being too heavy. Still mulling over a few ideas for that.

Main idea so far is making a bayonet type fitting out of carbon tubes. Boom tube will have an alloy pin epoxied into a hole in one end. Will be a snug sliding fit into the receiving tube with maybe an 1/8th turn to lock it in place. Only worry so far is the pin might fret the carbon over time making it sloppy.
Last edited by adz955; Oct 02, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Oct 02, 2017, 11:03 PM
SidGates
Quote:
Hey Sid sounds like we have some similar plans with regards construction. Plan on splitting the fuz horizontally, routing out the internal compartments then flipping the pieces over before the outside takes shape then join. Basically a double size version of what I already have in the durafly vamp just with a bit more attention to the outline.

Tricky part will be making the boom/wing interface plenty strong enough without being too heavy. Still mulling over a few ideas for that.

Main idea so far is making a bayonet type fitting out of carbon tubes. Boom tube will have an alloy pin epoxied into a hole in one end. Will be a snug sliding fit into the receiving tube with maybe an 1/8th turn to lock it in place. Only worry so far is the pin might fret the carbon over time making it sloppy.
================================================== =============================
Normally I would split the fuse vertically but there may be reasons to do horizontal. Are you doing removeable booms? I would probably do a glass or carbon tube wih carbon rod instead of alloy. I have made several parts with foam core and glass on each side. This construction becomes very rigid with very thin glass on outside.

My bulkheads in my scratch built F-94C are 1/4" thick blue foam with approx 3 layers of 3.2oz cloth. The bulkhead inside dia. is approx 1/2' smaller than the inside of the fuse. I rounded he inside edge of the foam bulkhead so the glass is easy to wrap. I left the outside dia. of the foam bulkhead bare foam and glued them inwith Gorilla Glue. My model projects are here:
http://www.sidgates.us/HOBBIES/PROJECTS.HTM

I am working on learning Fusion 360 so I can draw for 3D models. What are you using?

Sid
Oct 03, 2017, 02:08 PM
I used a program called autodesk remake to start this. Not sure if you've heard of it. Bit like a poor mans 3D scanner. You can take hundreds of photos of an object from various different angles, upload them into the program and remake will then generate a 3d model of the object. The more photos the more accurate the model. There will be inevitable little errors that need fixing but its pretty cool and makes a great base to start from. A lot easier than starting with 3 views anyway. Helps the full size in the photo is only a short drive away. Ive seen a video on YouTube where a guy took aerial photos of his house with a drone and then 3d printed the model that remake generated.
Oct 05, 2017, 08:58 AM
SidGates

Auto Desk

Quote:
I used a program called autodesk remake to start this. Not sure if you've heard of it. Bit like a poor mans 3D scanner. You can take hundreds of photos of an object from various different angles, upload them into the program and remake will then generate a 3d model of the object. The more photos the more accurate the model. There will be inevitable little errors that need fixing but its pretty cool and makes a great base to start from. A lot easier than starting with 3 views anyway. Helps the full size in the photo is only a short drive away. Ive seen a video on YouTube where a guy took aerial photos of his house with a drone and then 3d printed the model that remake generated.
================================================== =====
I will look up this program and video
Oct 15, 2017, 06:29 PM
SidGates

Remake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgates50
================================================== =====
I will look up this program and video
-=====================================
Very interesting program.
My web site for model projects: