The October Big Sky, Anyone can enter, Informal Contest - RC Groups
Oct 01, 2017, 12:52 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Contest

The October Big Sky, Anyone can enter, Informal Contest

THE OCTOBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING RULES AND INFO:

Contest will run from 12:01 am October 1st to 11:59 PM October 31st. Eastern US time. The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills. The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.

In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications; 2 Meter and under E Gliders, Open E Gliders, and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.

THE PLANES
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction

ELECTRIC GLIDER SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

HAND LAUNCH SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.

REPORT FORMAT
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
E Glider, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.

I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 3 flight durations from each Class. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.

THREAD CONTENT
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

ALL-TIME CONTEST RECORDS

2 Meter and under E Glider Class
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open E Glider Class
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch Class
xStatiCa (Adam)
Glider Binary IV DLG (1.5m)
May 14th, 2015
Time 5:48pm
Duration 75:49
New Port Richey, FL

Slope Class
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2017, 12:54 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
2 Meter and under E Glider Class

Ernie b
Glider name:Gentle Lady
Date and Time of flight:Oct 8, 2017 11:30am
Duration of flight:30:49 (after 15 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 1,358.9ft AGL

Matt
Glider name: 2M Radian
Date and Time of flight: 10/01/17
Duration of flight: 24:57, after 30 second motor run
Max Altitude: 1350ft AGL
65 degrees and partly cloudy

Open E Glider Class

Ronpac
Glider name: Pulsar 3.6E REF
Date and time of launch: 10/18/2017 1:35pm
Duration of flight: 1hr 16min 29sec (including a 30 sec motor run)

Bclapperton
Model: Finezza (local version of bubble dancer)
Oct 6
Time: 29:01
20 second motor run
Light winds from every direction.

AMA69405
Glider name: Aether 3.7m
Date and Time of flight: 10/16/17 2:00 pm CDT
Duration of flight: 21 minutes 48 seconds (after 26 sec motor run)

Hand Launch Class

Jotasol
56" frankenglider similar to a fling
Oct 14
5:44
3pm
WNY
Great day--it only launches to 60' and flight was fine til the sun was blocked out by clouds.

Slope Class

Current thru #52
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; Oct 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM.
Oct 01, 2017, 02:34 PM
Matt
Glider name: 2M Radian
Duration of flight: 24:57, after 30 second motor run
Max Altitude: 1350ft AGL
Oct 01, 2017, 10:07 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Nice start to the month Matt.
I got my Rad back in ship shape today so watch your back.
Oct 01, 2017, 10:19 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Open E Glider Class

Glider name: Cularis 2.6m
Duration of flight: 16:31 after 30 second motor run
Oct 02, 2017, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas
Nice start to the month Matt.
I got my Rad back in ship shape today so watch your back.
I'm excited to see how it does!
Oct 03, 2017, 04:58 AM
Great weather today. Almost 80. Sunny. Light winds. Great day to pull out the circa 1980 Oly II.
I have a small 450 size motor on it and 10" prop.
It putts up to about 250 feet that's about it--which is about all a highstart would do.
Forgot the rx so had to trek back home. Oops it was in the truck all the time.
Back to the soccer field and got it trimmed out.
Kids start showing up for practice--forgot to time flights. Everyone is trying to get pictures of it flying.

Every time I bring out the Oly II it gets A LOT of attention. Maybe I'll try again Tomorrow at lunchtime.
Oct 03, 2017, 08:31 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
HAha .. Sounds like one of my days Jotasol. Hope you get a 2hr lunch.
Oct 03, 2017, 12:10 PM
Ok that's high enough
You should have brought wife along, she would have found your radio in no time
Oct 03, 2017, 07:53 PM
Got the Oly II out again. 10mph winds. Flew like a kite. Will rig up some ballast for it and work the CG back. I can still spot land it because the wind acts like crow braking!
Oct 05, 2017, 06:41 PM
320pilot
Glider name: 3.2M Pulsar REF
Date and Time of flight: 10/05/17 5:30 pm.
Duration of flight: 20 minutes :11 seconds, after 20 second motor run

It was a bit gusty to fly the Pulsar, a "floaty" design. I launched to the West , (wind from the West on the ground) but quickly realized I had a strong wind aloft from the South. In fact up high, in Camber mode, the Pulsar was moving away from me , to the North, even though I had the nose pointed towards me.

So as it got lower I was able to catch some small bubbles of lift, without fighting the strong winds aloft, trying to blow the Pulsar to Canada.
Waiting to download the RAM 3 altitude plot..
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 06, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Oct 05, 2017, 11:03 PM
Tried the Oly II again today. Still 10mph winds and gusty. My daughter threw her viola in the back seat of my truck this morning. Right on top of my wings!
Punched two holes in the covering. Seriously! This Oly has its original covering from ~1980. It was given to me in 1991 by a cool old man who thought I would like sailplanes since he saw me constantly hauling my P-47 up to the stratosphere and killing the engine and gliding home. He sure was right.

Well haven't gotten an 8 min flight yet so gonna try the Oly more next week.
Oct 06, 2017, 10:44 AM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotasol
My daughter threw her viola in the back seat of my truck this morning. Right on top of my wings!
Punched two holes in the covering.
Good luck with the patching, check the balsa and glue joints to make sure it is ok, I would hate to see an Oly II go in because the wing folds
Oct 06, 2017, 10:23 PM

Greetings from OZ

Hi Guys,

Thought I give this a try...
Open E- Class
Model: Finezza (local version of bubble dancer)
Time: 29:01
20 second motor run
Light winds from every direction.
Cheers!
Last edited by Bclapperton; Oct 07, 2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Had a better flight!
Oct 07, 2017, 09:19 AM
Gonna teach my daughter how to patch the covering!
She thinks it's funny her dad irons his planes!
Hopefully a flight this week worth reporting.