Oct 01, 2017, 03:41 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Boldclash B06 brushless TinyWhoop FPV racer (WIP)

Disclaimer (inspired from SP) Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. Please, no savage affiliate links! By the way, in contracdiction with some other reviewers, I open a new mini-review thread ONLY when I have the machine in hand ....

Be aware, all weight informations given in the video are not in grams.... sorry for my mistake. Correct weights are given below

INTRODUCTION

The Boldclash B06 is a new brushless TinyWhoop class FPV racer, the direct successor of their former Boldclash B05. With this new model, bye-bye the TeenyFish F3, they prefered to return to classic SPracing F3 board. Motors are still some 0703 but for the B06 they are announced to spin at 15000Kv. The FPV rig has been also updated. Now a 800TVL CMOS 1/3" 25mW 48CH is integrated offering better light performances versus their former 600TVL camera. The FC includes also 4-in-1 ESC solution but now only "2A" (peak@3A) BLheli/oneshot125 but no more BLheli_S/Dhsot compatible. Actually four choices of receiver are proposed: FrSky D16 XM, FlySky AFHDS-2A, Spektrum DSM2/X and Futaba FASTT. There is also a PNP variant. Let's discover this new model

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Boldclash B06
+ 1 x 1S 450mAh LiPo with mcpx JST pH 2.0mm connector
+ 1 x Spare top canopy
+ 1 x USB charger
+ 8 x Spare props (4 CW, 4 CCW)
+ 1 x Wrench prop remover
+ 1 x USB to microUSB cable
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)

OVERVIEW

The new B06 is now full plastic based. No more carbon element. Paradoxally, the ducted/prop guard system looks much more robust and by consequence it's not a bad news. We have no more the tall central FPV tower potentially breakable during a crash. Here it's more a lower profiled canopy structure, much more robust.

Even it's not obvious on the photos, the B06 is a 75mm machine so 10mm more larger than the B05.

-Front view

The design is cool more similar to the original inductrix/King Kong one. The FPV solution is now fully protected with this strong plastic canopy structure. It's nothing else than the F06 FPV solution, I recently reviewed.

with the battery installed beneath playing the role of landing skid

-Side view

Any visible latteral port. Everything look highly profiled

The camera is installed with an positive inclinaison of 15 degrees. Since the B06 is suitable for both indoors and oudoors applications, this angle's choice is a good one IMHO.

-Rear view

The linear antenna installed horizontally. In practice, the FPV range is pretty good so some even better results could be obtained if the antenna would be installed more vertically.

-Upper view

One unique button, i.e. the Vfreq/Vband selection button. One short press to cycle between the eight frequencies inside the current Vband and press & hold more than 2s to cycle between the six supported Bands. Notice, you can guess a sliding blue light for the Vfreq selection and a sliding green light for Vband through the canopy.

-Bottom view

Even the X-structure arms are in plastic. I was worried at beginning but in practice they are super robust and the lightweight of the B06 helps a lot in their durability.

We can guess bottom the microUSB port for Betaflight connection and the receiver just below the battery bay.

The FrSky XM receiver is installed beneath... with the 2.4G antenna parallel to the main FC board and in sandwish with the LiPo. There is a super tiny bind button. Press and hold it while powering the machine then run the binding procedure on your compatible D16 radio. It's a bit tricky to do it with only two hands. It's a basic FrSky XM module so without telemetry feedback. You can flash it with a new firmware to send the RSSI value on the last channel but since there is no OSD, it's in practice useless to do it.

Clearly the location of the receiver is far to be ideal in term of the radio reception. The best would be to install the receiver on top with the antenna more vertically. It should be possible to mod the position in this way.

Good news for motor's maintenance, they are connected to the main board via 3 positions microJST connectors

-Weight

26.5g standalone

in comparaison with the 22.4g for the B05

With the battery installed, we have a total weight of 40.4g

versus the 33.5 for the former edition, so a difference of 7g.

3g can be explained by the 450mAh LiPo versus the 350mAh. So the other 4g comes from ducted system and the heavier top canopy structure. The main open question, will these 7 extra grams will impact deeply the flight caracteristics.

Motors and props

0703 motors "racing edition", boldclash branded announced to be 15000Kv. No information about their associated thrust... shoud turn about 20g each.

They are the same as for the B05.

Some 40mm triblades props, the same than for the B05

LiPo

They upgraded the LiPo from a 350mAh to a 450mAh and more a 25C to a 80C for the discharge rate. Now the open question, are these new number true ?. They decided to move from a microLOSI connector to a JST pH. Judiscious choice ? More, I notice the gauge of the main lead power cable relatively thin.... IMHO it should impact negatively the performances of the machine.

FPV-Camera module

UNBOXING, ANALYSIS, BINDING, CONFIGURATION AND DEMO FLIGHT

The machine comes with Betaflight 3.1.6 pre-installed (default dump attached below) and correctly configured at least for the receiver section. It's not the ultimate one and better results could be obtained with the last BF3.2.1. At least, I would say, no ton of extra work is required with the B06. After the binding, you can enjoy directly the machine. By default, the machine is armed with AUX1=CH5 and only the angle (6-axis stablization) mode is set. So if you want acro, you will need to modify by yourself, the flight mode section (see video). Since there is not buzzer, they set the beacon delay & volume to 2min and max respectively as I recommended to them during the beta stage developpement. The BLheli firmware installed is the 14.6. I don't think flashing the last 14.9 can turn ESC BLheli_S compatible. The buzz emitted is strong enough to hear to machine within a radius of 3-4m... which not bad. Of course we can regret the absence of a very tiny 0.7g buzzer..... one of the first mod to do. I think some little plastic element can be removed to gain some weight. In this case, the buzzer installation should be extra gram free.

Boldclash B06 unboxing analysis configuration and demo flight (Courtesy Boldclash) (33 min 39 sec)

Immediadly, you can notice than the FPV feedback is good espcially for a CMOS camera. Light sensitivity is better than the average. The FPV range is also good despite a linear antenna.

Boldclas B06 indoors raw sample (Courtesy Boldclash) (2 min 21 sec)

You can cross 3-4 walls indoors without problems without tons of breakup. Absoluptly no drift can be reported in angle mode !!! You can have super precise indoors flight with ultra precision. Very fun. For outdoors, throttle punchouts are oviously impacted by these 7 extra grams even if the 80C battery probably compensate most of. Don't worry the ascent rate is very acceptable but it's far to reach a 3S machine performances. At least, you can enjoy acro figures without problem but you probably will loose a bit of altitude. It's for sure far better than any brushed competitors. I would like to use this battery on the former B05 model. Should boost well performances as well. Despite being installed horizontally, the 2.4G control range is good in a radius of 100m. Any dropout reported. 4min of flight time can be achieved with this excellent battery. After the flight, the battery is even not warm... A good sign of its quality.

CONCLUSIONS

One more time, Boldclash delivered a good product.... and in term of flight caracteristic, this brushless machine is very efficient indoors and outdoors. The FPV, control ranges are good, the battery autonomy good. The structure is durable..... almost the perfect machine.... but I would prefer to a see a builtin OSD.... the Maxvideo chip should add only 0.2g for the SPracing F3 board. Probably we will see it a next model. I think with these model we achieve the limit of 0703 motors can give. To boost even more performances, maybe 0704 motors is the way to go.

PROS

+ Good flyer, acro compatible
+ Brushless 75mm FPV racer
+ Full duct system
+ More durable than the B05
+ Good FPV AIO camera module
+ Jellofree
+ No drift for 6-axis stabilized flight modes
+ SPF3
+ Good 450mAh/80C LiPo
+ ESC set to buzz after 2min of inactivity with max output volume
+ 4 min of flight time

CONS

- No buzzer
- No betaflightOSD
- 7g more heavier than the B05
- No BLHeli_S support
- FrSky XM receiver badly positionned
- Thin main lead power cable

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Boldclash in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thank them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 99USD at http://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-b06-fpv-racing-drone-f3-blheli-esc-15000kv-m0703-800tvl-camera-25mw-48ch-vtx-p133.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 29, 2017 at 05:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2017, 03:41 AM
Thread OP
reserved
Oct 01, 2017, 04:25 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Would be nice if this is the real brushless Tiny Whoop replacement, that has been promised by some other companies, but so far these never fully delivered. I hope OSD can be added, even if just battery voltage. But if not, I can always revert back to the throttle based timer on my Taranis.
Oct 01, 2017, 10:21 AM
I guess it will have telemtry for rssi and Rx voltage at least so osd not a big problem.
Hopefully it will be tuned well enough so as not to need to mess about with the pids too much.
Durability for indoor flying is important and I think it looks like it should be good.
I have 2s brushless micros for outdoors and even some good 1s builds but both are too much for indoors, this might be the sweet spot for indoor/garden brushless but I guess we will find out soon enough.

I'm glad it does not use the fishpepper 1s setup which has proved problematic in some cases with telemetry lost etc.
Odd that d shot is not used and no mention of blheli_s but I don't think indoor quads will have performance enough for that to really matter.
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
Oct 01, 2017, 10:21 AM

Is this finally "The One"?

Hi SeByDocKy, thanks for starting this thread . After SO MANY disappointments and unhappy purchases looking for an affordable and fun brushless companion for my Tiny Whoops, the latest being the abysmal Jumper X68S, it seems that Boldclash may have finally produced a true, worthy brushless Tiny Whoop style micro!

As I have previously posted on the BoldClash Bwhoop B05 V1 thread the BWhoop B06 is now being featured on the Boldclash.com front page and that it is again being offered as being "Available on Pre-Order Stock due to arrive on 10 15,2017".

http://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-b...-vtx-p133.html

I think that the no soldering easy change motor and easy change FPV camera and video transmitter systems will be game changers in the 1S micro brushless class .

SeByDocKy, please get us an early review of this VERY interesting brushless micro ASAP !
Last edited by dalturbo; Oct 01, 2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
Oct 01, 2017, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalturbo
Hi SeByDocKy, thanks for starting this thread .
SeByDocKy, please get us an early review of this VERY interesting brushless micro ASAP !
Yes it's scheduled that I will grab this one for review
Oct 01, 2017, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Yes it's scheduled that I will grab this one for review
Is that so? Well, that's EXCELLENT news ! Please note SeByDocKy, I will be holding you to your word !
Oct 02, 2017, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalturbo
Is that so? Well, that's EXCELLENT news ! Please note SeByDocKy, I will be holding you to your word !
Thanks .... but always check some other opinions.... I can fail a review too by missing an important point.... Of course I will do my best that it won't happen
Oct 02, 2017, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Thanks .... but always check some other opinions.... I can fail a review too by missing an important point.... Of course I will do my best that it won't happen
You reviews are always thorough and useful, and I REALLY like that you still WRITE reviews as well as doing the video reviews.
I will be reviewing one too ( written and some video ) on my blog so we can compare notes!
Oct 05, 2017, 04:37 PM
Subscribed!
Oct 06, 2017, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Well ... I had some feedbacks from my Boldclash's contact ....

Actually it"s an XM FrSky receiver (not an XM+) .... so without telemetry ... No buzzer as well ... and no OSD too .... I strongly advised them at least to think about a little buzzer .... especially if the machine is much more powerfull than the B05... so more adapted for outdoors applications
Oct 06, 2017, 01:58 PM
when you say no telemetry, does that include rssi?
Oct 06, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:

Actually it"s an XM FrSky receiver (not an XM+) .... so without telemetry ... No buzzer as well ... and no OSD too .... I strongly advised them at least to think about a little buzzer .... especially if the machine is much more powerfull than the B05... so more adapted for outdoors applications
Yeah that's pretty disappointing to hear. Hopefully they can work something out.
Oct 06, 2017, 03:01 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:

Afaik both XM and XM+ don't offer telemetry, only good range and amazing range, respectively. And the option to feed RSSI value on BetaFlight OSD. But if the B06 has no OSD, there is no way to get feedback about RSSI in any way, unless fitting a receiver with telemetry.
Oct 06, 2017, 03:02 PM
No telemtry for battery or rssi and no osd and no buzzer....
Seeing as the motors are the same 15000kv as the b05 I think this is intended for indoors use rather than outdoor use, maybe the garden or small outdoors area , I don't think it will be particularly powerful ...
But indoor brushless fpv is what I need, I have plenty of other quads for outside ripping ...
The main thing is going to be how robust it is because I crash a lot more indoors than I do outdoors...
Using a timer is not really that hard and throttle based timer is quite accurate....

If they had used d shot at least motor buzzer could be used though probably fairly quiet?

Quick Reply